Greater Supernatural Beings and dimensional barriers

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Greater Supernatural Beings and dimensional barriers

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 152 of Book of Magic under Dimensional Portal says "This is the only way a greater supernatual being can enter into our dimension." I'm going to refer to this as GSBs.

Directly after this is the "Dimensional Teleport" spell. I'll refer to this as DT. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the following hypotheses.
    1) non-GSBs are able to use DT to enter Rifts Earth.
    2) GSBs are able to use DT to exit Rifts Earth
    3) GSBs are NOT able to use DT to enter Rifts Earth.

Many creatures I would assume to be GSBs (gods, alien intelligences, demon lords) often have dimensional teleportation abilities. Perhaps the inability to enter Rifts Earth through anything but a Dimensional Portal (ie a Rift) is why we haven't seen much direct influence from these beings? They can only use those abilities to make a quick getaway but need to find other means of entering?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Greater Supernatural Beings and dimensional barriers

Unread post by Mack »

Couple things to keep in mind:
-- There's not a firm definition of "greater supernatural being."
-- KS often writes in generalities and not specifics, especially in descriptive (or 'fluff') text.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Mack wrote:Couple things to keep in mind:
-- KS often writes in generalities and not specifics, especially in descriptive (or 'fluff') text.

and let's not forget also:

-- it is often extremely unclear whether something is "fluff" text or not.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

More importantly
The text in question was copied from BTS1
In that game greater beings were so powerful they needed a limit on how they could be brought over... ergo, the text.
This prevented them from simply popping in at whim.
And this thus explained why they were not part of the common lore, and why the nightly news didn't cover the latest monster rampage.

In Rifts? Not So Much.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mack wrote:Couple things to keep in mind:

We do have clear examples of specific beings who are explicitly called GSBs though. For example in Dark Conversions we see the heading "A Greater Supernatural Being" for:
*pg 89, the Goqua
*pg 94, the Mindolar

Anything obviously much more powerful than either of these (I think all AIs, gods and greater demon lords would qualify) it seems like a pretty fair assumption. The gray area is probably stuff like minor demon lords, greater demons, demon regents and godlings.

Shark_Force wrote:it is often extremely unclear whether something is "fluff" text or not.

Fluff is a non-canonical concept. Even biased viewpoints from NPC diaries are still canon as to the contents of those diaries, if not necessarily the state of the world.

eliakon wrote:More importantly
The text in question was copied from BTS1
In that game greater beings were so powerful they needed a limit on how they could be brought over... ergo, the text.
This prevented them from simply popping in at whim.
And this thus explained why they were not part of the common lore, and why the nightly news didn't cover the latest monster rampage.

In Rifts? Not So Much.

RUE's 276's "Rifts Terms" definition of Supernatural Beings on 277 doesn't appear to be a blatent copy-and-paste and seems to convey some intention to have this also be the state here. Unless I'm wrong and this did appear in BTS?
    "not even part of our plane of existence and must somehow link themselves to our human dimension"
    "One way for great supernatural beings to enter our plane of existence is by sending forth lesser servants"
    "In most cases, beings on the level of a god (including Alien Intelligences) must have thousands or even hundreds of thousands of worshipers or believers before they can materialize on that plane"

The "MOST" and "MUST" stand out to me. This appears to be the case for Vampire Intelligences and certain cases like Nxla, but it doesn't appear to be pointed out in other cases like the Splugorth or Zllyphan.

If most god-level beings (which would probably mean most gods, unless gods are a minority amongst god-level beings) needed 2000+ worshipers to materialize, it would be interesting to know which are the exception to this generalization and can materialize with fewer-to-no worshipers, as they could take a more direct hand in the events of Rifts and set up a worshiper base through inspiring acts of direct intervention.

Of course, I've been critical of RUE277 before due to Gargoyles-are-mortal-supernaturals so I don't put much confidence in that paragraph, but my problems with this entry's sweeping statements about all supernatural beings do not really come into conflict with these more specific statements about the GREAT (pretty similar-sounding to GREATER) subset of SBs.

Return to “Rifts®”