Final Atlantean Questions (for now)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Final Atlantean Questions (for now)

Unread post by Razorwing »

Just some final questions in regards to Atlanteans and Tattoo Magic

I am curious if anyone allows the two dragon head tattoos that are using breath weapons to also allow the immunity to fire/ice that the dragon heads (without breath weapons) provide. I can see the possibility that either these can also allow for immunity as well as the additional abilities granted by the addition of the breath weapon to the base dragon-head tattoos... and for them being considered a separate tattoo (requiring both the dragon-head without breath weapon and dragon head with breath weapon to get both effects). If you do let them use the dragon-head with breath weapon to also provide the immunity provided by just the dragon head tattoos, how do you determine this.

Do you:
1) Provide the immunity for free when they activate the tattoo for one of the offensive abilities of the tattoo
2) Have them pay for the immunity as a separate activation of the tattoo... giving them three possible uses for the tattoo (1 defensive [immunity] and 2 offensive [attacks])

Personally, I am leaning towards the idea that the two are different tattoos and both must be acquired if the player wants their character to have both immunity and offensive abilities with a given pair of these tattoos.

The other question I have deals with the information provided in the Other OCC section in regards to Cyber-Knights. On pg 123 (SofA), it says that Atlanteans who decide to become Cyber-Knights tend to avoid getting the Cyber-Armor the class provided (due to the negative effect cybernetics has on the use of magic, including their Tattoo Marks of Heritage). Instead, these Atlantean Cyber-Knights (with GM approval) receive 6 additional tattoos (in addition to their Marks of Heritage), giving them a total of 8 Tattoos and making them minor MDC beings (with Supernatural Strength and Endurance). I just want to make sure I read that right, since this suggests they will have 2 Flaming Sword tattoos, one from the Marks of Heritage and an additional one (which can be a different sword entirely or can have additional weapon modifications to make it a different tattoo; though I would also allow the player to exchange this second weapon for the Eye of Knowledge: Language tattoo). I am assuming that I would also be converting the Hit Points and SDC of the Cyber-Knight to MDC as explained in the Atlantean Racial Description on Page 47 in addition to the MDC provided by the 2 tattoos above 6 these Atlanteans received.

Since these Atlantean Cyber-Knights are technically a low powered T-Man, would you allow them to gain additional tattoos as they level? Personally I am leaning towards allowing them to gain 1 Simple Weapon or Animal Tattoo (or Animal/Monster Modification) per level... with the option to exchange 2 of these for a magic Weapon or monster Tattoo (1 every 2 levels) or 3 of these for a Power tattoo (1 every 3 levels)… with the usual limitations on getting tattoos (no more than 2 every 6 months and may have to travel to another dimension for a time to receive the tattoos). While this may allow the character to gain a bit more power than most Cyber-Knights, I think it is reasonable given the unique nature of Atlantean Cyber-Knights (and overall they will still have far fewer tattoos than most of the other T-Men OCCs). Would anyone else consider this option?
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Final Atlantean Questions (for now)

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Razorwing wrote:Just some final questions in regards to Atlanteans and Tattoo Magic

I am curious if anyone allows the two dragon head tattoos that are using breath weapons to also allow the immunity to fire/ice that the dragon heads (without breath weapons) provide. I can see the possibility that either these can also allow for immunity as well as the additional abilities granted by the addition of the breath weapon to the base dragon-head tattoos... and for them being considered a separate tattoo (requiring both the dragon-head without breath weapon and dragon head with breath weapon to get both effects). If you do let them use the dragon-head with breath weapon to also provide the immunity provided by just the dragon head tattoos, how do you determine this.

Do you:
1) Provide the immunity for free when they activate the tattoo for one of the offensive abilities of the tattoo
2) Have them pay for the immunity as a separate activation of the tattoo... giving them three possible uses for the tattoo (1 defensive [immunity] and 2 offensive [attacks])

Personally, I am leaning towards the idea that the two are different tattoos and both must be acquired if the player wants their character to have both immunity and offensive abilities with a given pair of these tattoos.

The other question I have deals with the information provided in the Other OCC section in regards to Cyber-Knights. On pg 123 (SofA), it says that Atlanteans who decide to become Cyber-Knights tend to avoid getting the Cyber-Armor the class provided (due to the negative effect cybernetics has on the use of magic, including their Tattoo Marks of Heritage). Instead, these Atlantean Cyber-Knights (with GM approval) receive 6 additional tattoos (in addition to their Marks of Heritage), giving them a total of 8 Tattoos and making them minor MDC beings (with Supernatural Strength and Endurance). I just want to make sure I read that right, since this suggests they will have 2 Flaming Sword tattoos, one from the Marks of Heritage and an additional one (which can be a different sword entirely or can have additional weapon modifications to make it a different tattoo; though I would also allow the player to exchange this second weapon for the Eye of Knowledge: Language tattoo). I am assuming that I would also be converting the Hit Points and SDC of the Cyber-Knight to MDC as explained in the Atlantean Racial Description on Page 47 in addition to the MDC provided by the 2 tattoos above 6 these Atlanteans received.

Since these Atlantean Cyber-Knights are technically a low powered T-Man, would you allow them to gain additional tattoos as they level? Personally I am leaning towards allowing them to gain 1 Simple Weapon or Animal Tattoo (or Animal/Monster Modification) per level... with the option to exchange 2 of these for a magic Weapon or monster Tattoo (1 every 2 levels) or 3 of these for a Power tattoo (1 every 3 levels)… with the usual limitations on getting tattoos (no more than 2 every 6 months and may have to travel to another dimension for a time to receive the tattoos). While this may allow the character to gain a bit more power than most Cyber-Knights, I think it is reasonable given the unique nature of Atlantean Cyber-Knights (and overall they will still have far fewer tattoos than most of the other T-Men OCCs). Would anyone else consider this option?

1) Provide the immunity for free when they activate the tattoo for one of the offensive abilities of the tattoo No way for free. The PPE cost would be the sum of cost for the two functions.
2) Have them pay for the immunity as a separate activation of the tattoo... giving them three possible uses for the tattoo (1 defensive [immunity] and 2 offensive [attacks])If you require separate individual actions to activate a Magic Weapon and its enhancements then yes. I think the rules clearly intend for a weapon tattoo and its enhancements to be activated with one action and that is how I run it in my game. I would do the same thing with your proposed tattoo.

Regarding the cyber-armor adversely affecting the knight's magic. The PPE listed for knights does not get reduced for the armor, the knight has both listed in the book and further Knights can use TW with the armor so I could see no armor for the forearms and hands to allow access to the tattoos but I see no basis for the armor interfering with the Knights' "magical" abilities. I allow Knights to have TW enhancements to their cyber-armor so if an Atlantean Knight was to skip the armor I would allow five extra tattoos, one to replace the armor and four more in place of the TW enhancements to the armor. I would also allow extra tattoos as the character advances.

Return to “Rifts®”