Gear Up A Malvoren

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Gear Up A Malvoren

Unread post by LostOne »

What items do people like for their Malvoren? What weapons, armor, enhancements, etc?

Are you literally grabbing parts off of destroyed power armors and fallen enemies or seeking things out? It's not hard to come up with great handheld weapons, but I'm having trouble thinking of shoulder mounted cannons. The only shoulder cannons I can think of off the top of my head are from the super samas, which does not have e-clips but I can imagine it being powered by a nuclear power cell (Bionics p90) which could maybe even be salvaged form that same super samas if there is time. But I'm sure open to other suggestions.

I was toying with having the character be a renegade, giving him the horse legs (also Bionics p90) and passing himself off as a fully converted Cyber-Horseman of Ixion and trying to conceal what he really is.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
dreicunan
Hero

Re: Gear Up A Malvoren

Unread post by dreicunan »

LostOne wrote:What items do people like for their Malvoren? What weapons, armor, enhancements, etc?

Are you literally grabbing parts off of destroyed power armors and fallen enemies or seeking things out? It's not hard to come up with great handheld weapons, but I'm having trouble thinking of shoulder mounted cannons. The only shoulder cannons I can think of off the top of my head are from the super samas, which does not have e-clips but I can imagine it being powered by a nuclear power cell (Bionics p90) which could maybe even be salvaged form that same super samas if there is time. But I'm sure open to other suggestions.

I was toying with having the character be a renegade, giving him the horse legs (also Bionics p90) and passing himself off as a fully converted Cyber-Horseman of Ixion and trying to conceal what he really is.

I-11 Long Gun from South America 2; 1d6x10 out to 4000 feet while getting 10 shots from a clip and +1 to strike on aimed shots.

ATL-7 Anti-Tank Laser Rifle, also from South America 2; 3d6x10+20 out to 3000 feet. Only one shot per e-clip, put you can recharge that for 10 PPE in a pinch.

Since they can meld with heavy cyborg armor, you can do that for very cheap and high MDC armor. For EBA, be over 8ft tall and then meld with Northern Gun's Titan Juicer Armor (Malvoren Strength becomes Robotic when Melded, so with 4d6+10 PS you'll have very low penalties while wearing it.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

The 3D6x10 MDC tank buster cannon in Rifts South America 2?

That's the go-to add on for everything...

And, if you have the money and are feeling froggy, you can have a Gizomteer soup it up to 6D6 or 8D6×10 damage if you are willing to let it melt to scrap a few hours after it is upgraded.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

re: shoulder cannons
Check out Bionic SB they have "shoulder" weapon conversion for bionic systems.

Outside of Bionics (and there are several frames that offer them), there's a NG PA in Juicer Uprising with shoulder cannons. The GB-Killer and Mauler PAs in WB11. Glitterboy-style PA (various books), Auqa-tech PA in WB7. This doesn't even get into the various PAs with missile launchers. I would think that most/if-not-all man-portable missile launchers are intended to be shoulder fired.

Given the Malvoren's abilities I don't think it really would matter if the weapon was designed for shoulder firing position or not, they could simply elect to have the melded weapon at that location (pistols, rifles, heavy weapons).
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

shadrak wrote:And, if you have the money and are feeling froggy, you can have a Gizomteer soup it up to 6D6 or 8D6×10 damage if you are willing to let it melt to scrap a few hours after it is upgraded.

The ATL-7 was mentioned by the person who posted before you. I hadn't read the Gizmoteer in a very long time, I think an ATL-7 amped up is too munchy, even for me. I'll probably avoid the ATL-7 anyway simply because I don't want to burn PPE that quickly, assuming I could even realistically acquire one (or two, each shoulder) in North America. But if you want to go munchy and can find a way to get it, go for the plasma cannon from the space GB in Mutants in Orbit. Two mile range and more damage than a boom gun, no recoil mentioned that I remember.

ShadowLogan wrote:Given the Malvoren's abilities I don't think it really would matter if the weapon was designed for shoulder firing position or not, they could simply elect to have the melded weapon at that location (pistols, rifles, heavy weapons).

Yeah, I just think guns actually designed for shoulder mounting would be more aesthetically pleasing. :D Plus it makes my head hurt less thinking about aiming them.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

LostOne wrote:
shadrak wrote:And, if you have the money and are feeling froggy, you can have a Gizomteer soup it up to 6D6 or 8D6×10 damage if you are willing to let it melt to scrap a few hours after it is upgraded.

The ATL-7 was mentioned by the person who posted before you. I hadn't read the Gizmoteer in a very long time, I think an ATL-7 amped up is too munchy, even for me. I'll probably avoid the ATL-7 anyway simply because I don't want to burn PPE that quickly, assuming I could even realistically acquire one (or two, each shoulder) in North America. But if you want to go munchy and can find a way to get it, go for the plasma cannon from the space GB in Mutants in Orbit. Two mile range and more damage than a boom gun, no recoil mentioned that I remember.

ShadowLogan wrote:Given the Malvoren's abilities I don't think it really would matter if the weapon was designed for shoulder firing position or not, they could simply elect to have the melded weapon at that location (pistols, rifles, heavy weapons).

Yeah, I just think guns actually designed for shoulder mounting would be more aesthetically pleasing. :D Plus it makes my head hurt less thinking about aiming them.

Yeah...I always thought the ATL-7 was munchy...

Then I threw a gizmoteer in as an NPC to augment a retired Cyberknight NPC that runs a psionics museum of oddities...and I finally read the gizmoteer...

Can add 1 die to the damage of a weapon per level...so, imagine a level 3 gizmoteer...he can temporarily add 3D6 to a 1D6 laser pistol or 3D6 to a 3D6 laser rifle (4D6 and 6D6 respectively) for an increased chance that the weapon will burn out.

The damage increase is limited only by the gizomoteer's levels...a level 14 gizmoteer can add 14 additional DICE. Each additional die increases the chance that the weapon will fail at the end of the modification period (1 hour per level), upto a 100% fail rate at 10 DICE.

So, as I understand it, you can take a Wilks 320 laser pistol (1D6 MD) and have a level 14 gizmoteer and he can modify it to do 15D6 (or 1D6x15) MD...and it will last for 14 hours...

Oh...and he can simultaneously increase the range and the capacity of the E-Clip...

Who cares if you burn out an 11,000 credit laser pistol if it is doing 15D6 damage and is firing 40 shots on a single E-Clip to a range of 1200', right !?!?!

Now, that same Level 14 Gizmoteer, I beleive, could add 14D6 to the original 3D6 of the ATL-7...making the ATL-7 a TWO Shot (double E-Clip capacity) weapon that can do 17D6x10 damage!!!!

But using an ATL-7 is diminishing returns when you consider that the Sniper Laser in SA2 is 1D6x10 and you can add 14D6 to that for 15D6x10 (you lose 2D6x10, but you increase payload MASSIVELY and you still can do up to 900 MD per shot instead of the 1020 MD per shot of the ATL-7).

Maybe I am misreading the write-up on the Gizmoteer, but that is how I interpreted it.

Return to “Rifts®”