Your favorite Worldbook? And why?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Your favorite Worldbook? And why?

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

For Me:

1st place is WB2, Atlantis. It had loads of new lore for the Rifts universe. Lots of creatures, magic, gear, history, cultures, and all kinds of info on the big evil splugorth and their minions. Loads of good junk for a single book. Kept me busy for years and I still like going back to it more than any other individual book. Splynn Dimensional Market was OK, but didnt add as much content as I was hoping for.

2nd place is probably 23, Xiticix Invasion. Again, adds lots of lore and finally fleshed out the upper midwest & general Xiticix info, which I had been waiting years for.

Arnzo and Madhaven were good too. Madhaven had especially good art. The gap between Kevin Long and Nick Bradshaw was unpleasant.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Re: Your favorite Worldbook? And why?

Unread post by Incriptus »

Juicer's Uprising: Kingsdale was the first [I believe] fully defined city in North America. It exists uncomfortably close [in] CS territory. Combines the best aspects of both the human augmentation and magical side of Rifts. It has been the hub for my north america games since it came out.

Honorable Mentions

Mercenaries: A joy to read due to the large number of NPCs and their back stories, combined with all the toys a growing boy needs. Naruni on one page and chipwell a few pages later.

Pantheons of the Megaverse: A book that has seen virtually no use in my games but perhaps the most fun to sit down and read. Seeing all the different gods we know and love [and a bunch that have never hit my radar before] being massaged and manipulated to fit in the Rifts setting. In particular when it discusses their relationships with other Pantheons, or Splugorth.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The original "Vampire Kingdoms," because it has enough maps and information for countless campaigns or off-the-cuff adventures.
It is the prototype for how World Books should be, and they've never matched it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:The original "Vampire Kingdoms," because it has enough maps and information for countless campaigns or off-the-cuff adventures.
It is the prototype for how World Books should be, and they've never matched it.

:ok:
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

its hard for me to decide.
I really like mercenaries because of the classes and gear.
I really like sourcebook 1 because of the shemarrians, and the robot construction rules/options

but in some ways I really like the new west because of the whole high tech western gimmick.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Incriptus wrote:Juicer's Uprising: Kingsdale was the first [I believe] fully defined city in North America. It exists uncomfortably close [in] CS territory. Combines the best aspects of both the human augmentation and magical side of Rifts. It has been the hub for my north america games since it came out.

Honorable Mentions

Mercenaries: A joy to read due to the large number of NPCs and their back stories, combined with all the toys a growing boy needs. Naruni on one page and chipwell a few pages later.

Pantheons of the Megaverse: A book that has seen virtually no use in my games but perhaps the most fun to sit down and read. Seeing all the different gods we know and love [and a bunch that have never hit my radar before] being massaged and manipulated to fit in the Rifts setting. In particular when it discusses their relationships with other Pantheons, or Splugorth.

well, those arent Worldbooks but thanks.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

guardiandashi wrote:its hard for me to decide.
I really like mercenaries because of the classes and gear.
I really like sourcebook 1 because of the shemarrians, and the robot construction rules/options

but in some ways I really like the new west because of the whole high tech western gimmick.

I can help you with that. Your first two picks aren't world books. ;)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Vampire Kingdoms is by far my favorite.
It was what made me love the setting. It set the stage and made the world real.
It allowed for everything that followed on and in many ways every book since has been a sequel to that one book... a sequel that has never quite matched the magic in my opinion.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm a fan of 12, 16, and 32, but 7 might be my favorite. Carella and Shiering were a winning combination.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Can't you guess? ;p

Rifts Australia. In part because I'm an Aussie. In part because Mad Max is a big bookmark in the post apoc genre and so at least in a small way helped inspire Rifts. And in part because I'm biased. I know Ben and some of the content in the manuscript lead from discussions between Ben & myself. The Kwalas were made by Ben for me. 8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Vampire Kingdoms (1st. edition): due to the fact it had maps, world building and good & bad npcs galore. If one were to do JUST a upper South America / Mexico / New Mexico campiagn, this book is pretty much all you need for months of gaming.

Atlantis: for a taste of the exotic, alien and super-evil civilization on Rifts Earth; here you go. The corner stone of a whack-tonne of other books (world & dimesnion) starts right here.

New West: though not as well developed as Vampire Kingdoms, this book has it all. Towns, OCC's, new skills (or skills better explained), toys and monsters. A must have for 'frontier' style campaigns. Also; until the beastery books are published, this is the best source aside from the conversion book (1st ed; NOT revised) for preadtory and not so predatory monsters and DINOSAURS!.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Shorty Lickens wrote:
Incriptus wrote:Juicer's Uprising: Kingsdale was the first [I believe] fully defined city in North America. It exists uncomfortably close [in] CS territory. Combines the best aspects of both the human augmentation and magical side of Rifts. It has been the hub for my north america games since it came out.

Honorable Mentions

well, those arent Worldbooks but thanks.

Actually, Juicer Uprising is a world book.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Wise_Owl
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wise_Owl »

From the Early days probably Atlantis; while I loved a lot about plenty of the world-books, that one got a lot of use. Way more use than a book devoted to a place where a majority of PC's might be considered Lunch should get. The biowizardy stuff, the weird alien monsters, the more fleshed out elements of Atlantis, of course, Tattoo Magic.

Though given the books I've read, I'd probably go with Warlords of Russia. That book I found inspiring long after I had more or less stopped playing rifts to the degree I had in the 90's. Mass Roaving Bands of Cyborgs moving through feudal realms and weird demonic invested forests. Mystic Russia isn't quite as good, but as a pair they are fantastic.
The Way that can be told,
is not the true unchanging way

The way that can be named,
is not the true unnamable way
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Japan-Ninja. Ninja TW
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

While it is clearly not original I have to go with Atlantis, WB2, being the best. It not only gives an outstanding description of the continent Atlantis, new magic, and great vehicles and weapons but the description of the Splugorth and their minions can be used on every part of Earth and throughout the Megaverse. I would have a hard time coming up with a WB that I have used more than this one. I have always thought that this book should be the model for all WBs.

My close second would probably be WB7 Underseas. It was great seeing some Pre-Rifts tech but the great thing about this book is giving you some hazards for traveling to other continents. I really wished I had had this book when WB4 Africa came out. When my players traveled from North America to Africa for the Gathering of Heroes the entire trip took about an hour of table time and they only had an encounter with a few Splugorth minions.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Wise_Owl
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wise_Owl »

Warshield73 wrote:While it is clearly not original I have to go with Atlantis, WB2, being the best. It not only gives an outstanding description of the continent Atlantis, new magic, and great vehicles and weapons but the description of the Splugorth and their minions can be used on every part of Earth and throughout the Megaverse. I would have a hard time coming up with a WB that I have used more than this one. I have always thought that this book should be the model for all WBs.

My close second would probably be WB7 Underseas. It was great seeing some Pre-Rifts tech but the great thing about this book is giving you some hazards for traveling to other continents. I really wished I had had this book when WB4 Africa came out. When my players traveled from North America to Africa for the Gathering of Heroes the entire trip took about an hour of table time and they only had an encounter with a few Splugorth minions.

I'll agree that Underseas is a fantastic Worldbook, easily in my top five. It was such a different 'thing' when it came out. It has things I'm not fond of, but over-all the entire book just opened avenues of adventure and consideration I never thought of. I think after I bought that book I ran a sea-based campaign the following week I was so stoked. Years later I still think it's fantastic in examine an area so many people would just ignore.
The Way that can be told,
is not the true unchanging way

The way that can be named,
is not the true unnamable way

Return to “Rifts®”