Malvoren Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Malvoren Question

Unread post by LostOne »

The Malvoren from the D-Bees book meld with cybernetics and such. I got curious while reading them. Could they meld with M.O.M. enhancements and get the bonuses of a Crazy?

What about Phase Weapons?
Last edited by LostOne on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Malvoren Question

Unread post by Mack »

I'm going with a "No" because their chemistry is too different from a human.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Mack wrote:I'm going with a "No" because their chemistry is too different from a human.

Not sure that Crazy augmentation relies on chemistry so much as electrical stimulation of various regions of the brain. We don't have enough information about Malvoren anatomy to know for sure, but I was leaning towards no just for balance reasons.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Don't read too much into my use of the word 'chemistry.' It simply conveyed the concept.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

I don't see any reason phase weapons would present a problem.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

LostOne wrote:
Mack wrote:I'm going with a "No" because their chemistry is too different from a human.

Not sure that Crazy augmentation relies on chemistry so much as electrical stimulation of various regions of the brain. We don't have enough information about Malvoren anatomy to know for sure, but I was leaning towards no just for balance reasons.

MOM implants would almost have to rely on chemistry on some level.

I would also say that stock/general MOM implants would not work on them due to their alien physiology. That does not mean someone could not produce compatible MOM implants for them to meld with.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

It could be argued that if they can connect with optic eyes and hearing implants (the the RCC specifically says is preferred), which all interface with the brain, that maybe the M.O.M. conversion isn't all that out of reach.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Additional question: Could a Malvoren recharge the e-clips of his party? If they know they're going to be hunting vamps in a few days could he load them for that so their energy weapons will damage vampires? Or do these weapons only hurt vamps if he recharged them and is melded with them?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

LostOne wrote:It could be argued that if they can connect with optic eyes and hearing implants (the the RCC specifically says is preferred), which all interface with the brain, that maybe the M.O.M. conversion isn't all that out of reach.

There are a few problems with this line of thinking though:
-Psychics. All Crazies AFAIK have a set Psionic Power Level AND restrictions on what they can take as a result of the MOM implants. The natural level of the Malvoren exceeds this.
-Anatomy. We are told the implants only work on humans and human-like D-bees. I would say that rules out the Malvoren given their natural abilities. Optic and Auditory implants don't require the same level of precision in where they are placed in the body, but the MOM implants are very selective (they target specific centers of the brain).

This all leads to the view that a Malvoren would not benefit in anyway from melding with a MOM implant beyond cosmetic reasons.

LostOne wrote:Additional question: Could a Malvoren recharge the e-clips of his party? If they know they're going to be hunting vamps in a few days could he load them for that so their energy weapons will damage vampires? Or do these weapons only hurt vamps if he recharged them and is melded with them?

I think the question here is can the Malvoren recharge an Eclip for an unmelded weapon? I would have to say no as the ability to pass the Eclip to another is not mentioned (so a GM's call).

Return to “Rifts®”