vehicles for 'giants'?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

vehicles for 'giants'?

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i did a cursory look for any post on this, but there may have been something i missed/phrased different

made a NPC that's 9'3" and while they "might" be able to cram themselves in a vehicle made for humans, or i go the stand-by of having a "modified" vehicle for them (also to accommodate the tail and leg structure as they are a grackletooth) are there any official vehicles i might be forgetting that are made for large pilots? (just thinking as i type this i might need to check the books with gargoyles since they do have robots/power armor but i don't remember vehicles)
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
kaid
Knight

Re: vehicles for 'giants'?

Unread post by kaid »

any vehicle with cargo area for power armor would work fine. Lots of NG options cover that. Big boss ATV cargo area I think is plenty big for that as well.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

If you are looking for vehicles to pilot there are some that are rated for borg pilots and if they are usable by full conversion borg that should also be fine if you are under 10 feet.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

A lot of the hovercycles would probably support tall riders. They support ‘Borgs and most FCBs are in the 8-10ft range.

Honestly, a lot of the regular vehicles would probably fit a 9’ driver - my Mini Van could easily fit an 8’ driver (and only because of the low ceiling height/high set of he seat; could probably fit a 9 foot driver easily if the seat were lowered). The manufacturers of Rifts Earth are aware that many of their clients are bigger than regular humans, so they probably offer seating options for larger drivers.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I'd probably keep it simple and say that many of the common vehicles can be purchased with an "extra large" setup for a small premium over the normal price. Might be a special order (not in stock) or require the seller's mechanic to make some modifications.

This is one of those areas where we (as players) could spend a lot of time/energy on something that isn't significant to the overall game.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

i should have specified 'as a driver'
i normally do just have it as a 'custom modification' but i wasn't sure if there was any that would be designed for them (and even larger races in the 15'+ range)
he'll need some custom work anyway for the leg structure and tail
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Check out the warlords of russia/sovietski books nearly all of their vehicles are designed for use by full conversion borgs so they are all set size wise for anybody up to 10-12 feet given that the soviet borgs tend to be even bigger than north american ones.

Also some NG units like the bulldog explorer are designed to allow pilots wearing light power armor to pilot them. If you can fit light power armor in there borgs/giants are probably fine.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Mack wrote:I'd probably keep it simple and say that many of the common vehicles can be purchased with an "extra large" setup for a small premium over the normal price. Might be a special order (not in stock) or require the seller's mechanic to make some modifications.

This is one of those areas where we (as players) could spend a lot of time/energy on something that isn't significant to the overall game.

I would go with this for stock vehicles.
It is not like large driers are going to be unheard of.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

PSI-Lence wrote:i did a cursory look for any post on this, but there may have been something i missed/phrased different

made a NPC that's 9'3" and while they "might" be able to cram themselves in a vehicle made for humans, or i go the stand-by of having a "modified" vehicle for them (also to accommodate the tail and leg structure as they are a grackletooth) are there any official vehicles i might be forgetting that are made for large pilots? (just thinking as i type this i might need to check the books with gargoyles since they do have robots/power armor but i don't remember vehicles)

Phaseworld Books have technology (including mecha/vehicles) with the Kreeghor (6-8ft, 8-10ft for Royal) and Space Wulfen (7-9ft) in mind.

South America2 has the Ojahee RCC and Fallen RCC (Megaversal Legion and Arkhons) that are part of tech race, both are a bit shorter than the Grackletooh.

And Gargoyle Empire Tech sized for a Gurgoyle operator should work (though here you are looking at 'bots and 'pa)

Atlantis might have some tech/tw examples for their giant minions (Kydians), but here IIRC its mostly body armor types (power, accessory) and maybe some flying platforms.

Juicer Uprising's vehicles might cover it, Warlords of Russia has a 'borg bike (sized for 'borgs).

Beyond that I can't think of anything. At 9ft tall they probably could rip out the front seats and sit in the back seats to operate the controls, but that assumes the platform has a backseat. Though the controls might themselves be a bit on the small side.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Look to Mii-Tar:
    Vampire Kingdoms (unrevised) pg 112 (12 ft tall, 940 pounds) "Also owns and pilots a Titan TR-002 exploration and light combat bot, 300 M.D.C"

Rifts Vampires pg 58 (12 ft tall 1.1 tons) "Also owns and pilots a specially modified Titan TR-002 exploration and light combat robot, 300 M.D.C" (unclear if he's able to wear his custom armor and Wilk's Jet Pack while inside)

Originally, the implication was that the TR-002 was not modified (since it didn't mention that) but the new sourcebook added in the "specially modified" part, implying the normal version may not be able to house a 12ft tall creature. The TR-002 normally (RMB215) houses 1 pilot 4 passengers. Those notations for bots probably assume human size. You could probably squeeze in extra passengers if it was Gnomes or Fairies, or fewer if you had to expand 2 passenger compartments to fit a larger-than-human passenger.

Mii-Tar has undergone some changes so it might possibly be due to that though. 1.1 tons is 2200 pounds, so Mii-Tarr has increased his body mass by over 230%. Perhaps that's why he's now able to wear 400 MDC custom armor instead of 200 MDC? This also boosted his HP from 111 to 123 (though that could have something to do with going from 7th to 10th level) and in exchange for losing 500 normal SDC and 200 MDC of natural armor, he now has a mere 1000 SDC of natural armor (~10 MDC) but on a ley line that converts to 500 MDC to he's better off in that situation.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

On a related note, the Gargoyle 'bots and power armors from the Gargoyle Empire can serve as the basis for oversized PAs and robot vehicles scaled fro giant physiques.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”