Modern Day Locations Of Rifts Cities?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Modern Day Locations Of Rifts Cities?

Unread post by LostOne »

I was curious if anyone has made a list of the modern day locations of Rifts cities?

For example, the book says Kingsdale is in the location (or near the ruins) of West Plains, Missouri. Whykin is Poplar Bluff, Missouri.

I thought this could be very helpful for determining accurate distances using google maps and approximating travel times if a party is following old world highways which tend to follow the contours of the natural landmarks for optimal travel and depending on what materials were used for paving leading up to the cataclysm might still be more or less intact for vehicles with larger wheels to use.

I think of Chi-Town as being Chicago but IIRC it's actually SW by 80 miles or so. I don't see a mention of a specific town/city in that location.

Anyway, I was hoping someone would have a compiled list like this, I think it could be a useful resource for people, more than the often rather vague maps in the books.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Modern Day Locations Of Rifts Cities?

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Check the thread rifts na map thread he made a map of known rifts locations.

Slightly better than a list as it is more visual.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Except I already had the map and it doesn't answer the questions I had. But thanks anyway.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

LostOne wrote:I was curious if anyone has made a list of the modern day locations of Rifts cities?

For example, the book says Kingsdale is in the location (or near the ruins) of West Plains, Missouri. Whykin is Poplar Bluff, Missouri.

I thought this could be very helpful for determining accurate distances using google maps and approximating travel times if a party is following old world highways which tend to follow the contours of the natural landmarks for optimal travel and depending on what materials were used for paving leading up to the cataclysm might still be more or less intact for vehicles with larger wheels to use.

I think of Chi-Town as being Chicago but IIRC it's actually SW by 80 miles or so. I don't see a mention of a specific town/city in that location.

Anyway, I was hoping someone would have a compiled list like this, I think it could be a useful resource for people, more than the often rather vague maps in the books.

I'd put it somewhere in between Peoria and Bloomington, IL. If you used Google Maps to plot a course, it would show a driving distance of about 120 miles or so, but that is from downtown to downtown. The area that is under CS quarantine would also likely include much of the suburbs as well. Bloomington has three separate interstates going through it, providing plenty of roads for refugees to use to get to the area, and it's generally southwest of Chicago.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Also, El Paso (as described in the books) either was not built in the ruins of the original El Paso, or (more likely) the authors had no idea where El Paso is in relation to Juarez in real life (literally opposite sides of the Rio Grande). I ought to know because the first time I visited El Paso and tried to get back to my Air Force base, I got lost and wound up 400 feet into Juarez (it took nearly four hours to get back out because it was the first 4th of July after 9/11).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

dragonfett wrote:I'd put it somewhere in between Peoria and Bloomington, IL. If you used Google Maps to plot a course, it would show a driving distance of about 120 miles or so, but that is from downtown to downtown. The area that is under CS quarantine would also likely include much of the suburbs as well. Bloomington has three separate interstates going through it, providing plenty of roads for refugees to use to get to the area, and it's generally southwest of Chicago.

I was thinking more in the Peoria area as well. The previously mentioned map has it looking more like in the area of Spring Valley, IL, which is about 70 miles north of Bloomington.

It would be awesome if there was some kind of official digital map, or a plugin for Google Earth or something that would let us see the world of Rifts as the creators intended in an interactive or at least authoritative digital map form where you can view the modern day overlaid with Rifts if you desire.
dragonfett
Knight

LostOne wrote:
dragonfett wrote:I'd put it somewhere in between Peoria and Bloomington, IL. If you used Google Maps to plot a course, it would show a driving distance of about 120 miles or so, but that is from downtown to downtown. The area that is under CS quarantine would also likely include much of the suburbs as well. Bloomington has three separate interstates going through it, providing plenty of roads for refugees to use to get to the area, and it's generally southwest of Chicago.

I was thinking more in the Peoria area as well. The previously mentioned map has it looking more like in the area of Spring Valley, IL, which is about 70 miles north of Bloomington.

It would be awesome if there was some kind of official digital map, or a plugin for Google Earth or something that would let us see the world of Rifts as the creators intended in an interactive or at least authoritative digital map form where you can view the modern day overlaid with Rifts if you desire.

The official map for Savage Rifts looks like they placed it near where I-39 and I-80 intersect, which is right near the Illinois River. There are only a couple of small towns there.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
rc_brooks
Explorer

Unread post by rc_brooks »

I put Kingsdale near Thayer, MS.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I'd assume they'd have highways as many of their citizens especially in farming communities etc are going to still have wheeled vehicles as they're much easier to keep going (and cheaper) then hover ones. Plus for general transport and trade roads would really help.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I would imagine where todays highways are would still be some of the best routes for traveled pathways. The asphalt and concrete would mostly be broken down but it would still be some of the flattest terrain for traveling and following the contours of the land or cutting through where needed (mountain passes are likely filled in with boulders unless the locals continue to maintain those areas).
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Well that's also not assuming the use of MDC materials to keep the roads going longer. Granted that's ALSO not assuming changes in the landscape due to the coming of the Rifts making new hills and mountains, moving rivers, and the like.

Daniel Stoker
rc_brooks
Explorer

Unread post by rc_brooks »

Even ancient Rome had highways. I think the same would be true in Rifts earth. Most people still travel by land and roads are vital for commerce, though I do agree that water passage may be more favorable in many ways. We have private roads between our fields. We maintain them with tractors and trucks. Any small community could do the same, probably relying more on gravel and/or brick. It could also be a good place to provide for toll roads. There were toll roads here that were actually wood. That is to say they were wood plank roads and many were glad to use the toll roads for the convenience. Think of a stretch of highway still maintained by a private company, but also with security patrols between say Kingsdale and Merctown. I think there are a lot of opportunities for that which haven't been written.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

LostOne wrote:I would imagine where todays highways are would still be some of the best routes for traveled pathways. The asphalt and concrete would mostly be broken down but it would still be some of the flattest terrain for traveling and following the contours of the land or cutting through where needed (mountain passes are likely filled in with boulders unless the locals continue to maintain those areas).

200+ years without human influence and they would be-reclaimed by nature, I think...

But if there is any significant population, the continued use of the road should keep it clear of significant vegetation, right?

So, at least as far as the Midwest, I will have to agree with you...for the most significant highways...probably improved or improved gravel, but likely a recognizable road that normal vehicles can travel.

Not sure on the rural east or dino swamp or far-new west though
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

given the amount of ashfall in the cataclysm, i'd imagine any pre-rifts roads west of the Appalachians would be buried a dozen or more feet below the surface.

those east of the Appalachians would probably be torn up by nature, between the geological shifts (like those that elevated Manhattan island or Washington DC) and the local flora. though we have canon examples of things like overpasses surviving in Dinosaur swamp, so clearly there could be a few stretches, especially if they were made from something like megacrete.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Daniel Stoker wrote:I'd assume they'd have highways as many of their citizens especially in farming communities etc are going to still have wheeled vehicles as they're much easier to keep going (and cheaper) then hover ones. Plus for general transport and trade roads would really help.

Daniel Stoker

Given most of the CS major civillian areas are either farms or fortress cities I am not sure what kind of road network would be needed. Most of the CS military vehicles don't really require them and would rip the **** out of them if they attempted to use them and most of their heavy bulk transport is via deaths head variants so it is very possible food gets held in collection centers and goes out via hover transports to the various fortress cities. Given how tempting of a target those would be having them in fairly heavily armored transports also makes sense.

Given the way the fortress cities are setup I don't know how much if any real movement most of the population does between them. They are self contained habitats most citizens have probably no need/reason to ever leave or likely any desire. We know hover vehicles are a thing so it would not be shocking if the CS has some kind of hover train like transport that the NG has to haul mass goods to the cities without any real need to build actual roads just cut trees down for the right of ways.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

kaid wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:I'd assume they'd have highways as many of their citizens especially in farming communities etc are going to still have wheeled vehicles as they're much easier to keep going (and cheaper) then hover ones. Plus for general transport and trade roads would really help.

Daniel Stoker

Given most of the CS major civillian areas are either farms or fortress cities I am not sure what kind of road network would be needed. Most of the CS military vehicles don't really require them and would rip the **** out of them if they attempted to use them and most of their heavy bulk transport is via deaths head variants so it is very possible food gets held in collection centers and goes out via hover transports to the various fortress cities. Given how tempting of a target those would be having them in fairly heavily armored transports also makes sense.

Given the way the fortress cities are setup I don't know how much if any real movement most of the population does between them. They are self contained habitats most citizens have probably no need/reason to ever leave or likely any desire. We know hover vehicles are a thing so it would not be shocking if the CS has some kind of hover train like transport that the NG has to haul mass goods to the cities without any real need to build actual roads just cut trees down for the right of ways.

Probably "roads", but maybe not in the sense we are used to...hard packed dirt or gravel would be more than sufficient for most vehicles...or even just some path through the grass and trees to follow where the ground doesnt shift dramatically and the trees aren't growing...something to follow since the GPS is down.

Mass transit should be a thing, though, at least between CS settlements of any significant size...

I wish the workbooks would focus some more on the civilian aspects of society.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

There are often white state maps with counties marked. If you can identify the rough location of the city center within the county, you can plot the city within a few miles of its actual location. Being a few miles off shouldn't be too significant considering the potential for massive changes in geography like Rivers changing their Banks, Forest growing in a unforested area, or mountains and Hills getting ripped it in and out of locations
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i could see the CS investing in something like Macadam for their main roads, those between the cities and major mines/farms/etc. centers. only the stretches closest to the cities would likely have concrete and/or asphalt.

less because of CS military vehicles and more because their general cargo shipments would be easier i the trucks can drive on a prepared road.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Daniel Stoker
Knight

kaid wrote:Given most of the CS major civillian areas are either farms or fortress cities I am not sure what kind of road network would be needed. Most of the CS military vehicles don't really require them and would rip the **** out of them if they attempted to use them and most of their heavy bulk transport is via deaths head variants so it is very possible food gets held in collection centers and goes out via hover transports to the various fortress cities. Given how tempting of a target those would be having them in fairly heavily armored transports also makes sense.

I'm sure many of their military vehicles yeah, but I'm sure they have a lot of civilian ones and I'm guessing road vehicles are going to be a lot cheaper and easier to maintain then hover or flying vehicles.

Daniel Stoker
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
kaid wrote:Given most of the CS major civillian areas are either farms or fortress cities I am not sure what kind of road network would be needed. Most of the CS military vehicles don't really require them and would rip the **** out of them if they attempted to use them and most of their heavy bulk transport is via deaths head variants so it is very possible food gets held in collection centers and goes out via hover transports to the various fortress cities. Given how tempting of a target those would be having them in fairly heavily armored transports also makes sense.

I'm sure many of their military vehicles yeah, but I'm sure they have a lot of civilian ones and I'm guessing road vehicles are going to be a lot cheaper and easier to maintain then hover or flying vehicles.

Daniel Stoker

I think it is a fairly reasonable assumption that there may be, at the very least, SDC transport vehicles to get to the grocery store...

Even if you don't build an actual road, you are going to end up with paths and wagon(car) trails where people have repeatedly driven their cars to the next town over to pick up supplies, get a date, get out of the house...

So, even if there aren't major highways, I think you are correct that there is some kind of at least limited road network of county/township road and secondary highways (Chillicothe Road...Bethel Road, etc.)...and going from a road network to a system of primary highways is not a huge leap...just designate a route along connecting roads.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

As for the location of Chi-Town, I always used Champagne-Urbana. The Great Library would be the old college library, and the arcology itself something dreamed up as a portion of some form of bio-dome demonstration by the college, possibly something showcasing how humanity was planning to survive on other planets.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

The more I think about it the more MDC paving near cities makes sense......
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

shadrak wrote:
kaid wrote:

Daniel Stoker

Probably "roads", but maybe not in the sense we are used to...hard packed dirt or gravel would be more than sufficient for most vehicles...or even just some path through the grass and trees to follow where the ground doesnt shift dramatically and the trees aren't growing...something to follow since the GPS is down.

Mass transit should be a thing, though, at least between CS settlements of any significant size...

I wish the workbooks would focus some more on the civilian aspects of society.

It is actually pretty unclear what kind of between city traffic there is. Travel in rifts earth carries a lot of non trivial danger. I get the impression once people make it into chi town or other fortress city their desire to leave it is low. Still I suspect there probably are some nominally civilian death heads type transports to carry passengers from one city to the next.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

kaid wrote:

Daniel Stoker

i am not sure most there heavy bulk transport is done by death heads. When they need quick long range yea they are going to usse them. As I recall they do allot of transport on water. That would logically include the military. They would likly have ground transport vehicles we do not have stats for modified apcs or sdc trucks that would be used to resupply many of the small bunkers the CS maintains in the farm land if they are not connected by the cs train system. If I recall right they use a train system to get farm goods to water transport. As we know they use a train system and waters routs for most of the farm transport it would be logical that the same system would be used for most the bulk transport between cities even by the military.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”