What does the inside of a Death's Head look like

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

What does the inside of a Death's Head look like

Unread post by Incriptus »

Height 76 feet
Width 104 feet
Length 240 feet

Food and Water to accomidate 288 troops for 2 weeks

I'm guessing the inside doesn't look like an airplane
I'm guessing a large segment will be for the APCs, UAR1, and Spider Skull Walker
Perhaps a lower deck that looks like cramped barracks
Maybe an upper deck with a little nicer rooms for ranking officers and meetings/planning/war room
Of course a flight deck for the crew.
A reasonable chunk of the height would be the saucer section.

Other thoughts?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: What does the inside of a Death's Head look like

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I always imagine something like a C5
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Yeah. I always assumed something like a C5 too. With a command deck for the flight crew and gunners.

Most of the space given over for the APCs etc with the troop seating along the sides in flip down net seats or something.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Yup I feel foolish now ... a poor grasp of size :-)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Yeah. I always assumed something like a C5 too. With a command deck for the flight crew and gunners.

Most of the space given over for the APCs etc with the troop seating along the sides in flip down net seats or something.

IIRC, the C17s I flew in had the seats bolted onto racks that went in the center where the cargo would normally be during cargo flights. The C5s I've been in had passenger spaces up above the cargo area. I don't remember seeing any with net seats along the sides, but it's been over a decade since I was in one. I imagine if the Air Force wanted to use the C5s for just passengers they'd have the same setup as the C17s did.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Big mural of Prosek by the exit, captioned: "Remember, killing a pregnant mage or d-bee counts as two."
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd assume it looks like a cross between the interior of a C5 or C17, and the Roll On/Roll Off decks of an LST.

and don;t forget that the DHT has a dedicated compartment for the Spider Skull Walker.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The Beast wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Yeah. I always assumed something like a C5 too. With a command deck for the flight crew and gunners.

IIRC, the C17s I flew in had the seats bolted onto racks that went in the center where the cargo would normally be during cargo flights. The C5s I've been in had passenger spaces up above the cargo area. I don't remember seeing any with net seats along the sides, but it's been over a decade since I was in one. I imagine if the Air Force wanted to use the C5s for just passengers they'd have the same setup as the C17s did.

Think they where referring to how planes like the C130 look configured for airborne operations. The back of the seats look like nets. Similar seats can be in a c-5 with an open middle.
C 130
http://www.aircraftsandplanes.com/wp-co ... Inside.jpg
C 5
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9e/fc/99/9efc ... 4bc83c.jpg

c 17
https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/ar ... 28656i.jpg
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Incriptus wrote:Height 76 feet
Width 104 feet
Length 240 feet

Food and Water to accomidate 288 troops for 2 weeks

I'm guessing the inside doesn't look like an airplane
I'm guessing a large segment will be for the APCs, UAR1, and Spider Skull Walker
Perhaps a lower deck that looks like cramped barracks
Maybe an upper deck with a little nicer rooms for ranking officers and meetings/planning/war room
Of course a flight deck for the crew.
A reasonable chunk of the height would be the saucer section.

Other thoughts?

Given it fits even some pretty big robots/vehicles I assume it is pretty much like the current type heavy lifters. Basically one big empty bay with front cockpit crew space area.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Incriptus wrote:Food and Water to accomidate 288 troops for 2 weeks

Man, that's a lot.

That's about 4,032 gallons of water, weighing 33,667 pounds, with a volume that would fill a cube that's a bit more than 8 feet per side. And that's 12,096 MREs, weighing 20,160 pounds, and would fill a cube about 10 feet per side. So each Death Head carries over 24 metric tons of food.

And that's before you include the hundreds of small arms that are on board. It's not just a transport; it's a ready-made mobile re-supply point.

I've never understood the intent of including all those supplies (other than making it a giant loot pinata for the players).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Mack wrote:
Incriptus wrote:Food and Water to accomidate 288 troops for 2 weeks

Man, that's a lot.

That's about 4,032 gallons of water, weighing 33,667 pounds, with a volume that would fill a cube that's a bit more than 8 feet per side. And that's 12,096 MREs, weighing 20,160 pounds, and would fill a cube about 10 feet per side. So each Death Head carries over 24 metric tons of food.

And that's before you include the hundreds of small arms that are on board. It's not just a transport; it's a ready-made mobile re-supply point.

I've never understood the intent of including all those supplies (other than making it a giant loot pinata for the players).

Logistics was never a PB strong point.
Given it is an air transport where is it going that it can not get home or resupplied in 2 weeks with 288 troops on board.
At cruising speed it would take about 12.5 hours to reach Germany. (Cruising speed is 350 miles and it is 4360 miles from O'hair to Germany.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

it is worth noting that the amount of stored water can be reduced if the DHT has systems for pulling moisture out of the air and basic water purifying systems.
and that the onboard food supplies probably aren't all MRE's, but likely include things like ration bars (dense carb packed survival bars) and dehydrated items.

heck, i wouldn't be surprised if some of those 2 weeks are trays of B-ration's, which would be much more space efficient than regular MRE's.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Blue_Lion
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:it is worth noting that the amount of stored water can be reduced if the DHT has systems for pulling moisture out of the air and basic water purifying systems.
and that the onboard food supplies probably aren't all MRE's, but likely include things like ration bars (dense carb packed survival bars) and dehydrated items.

heck, i wouldn't be surprised if some of those 2 weeks are trays of B-ration's, which would be much more space efficient than regular MRE's.

It does not say they are pulling water out of the air or have a purifying system it says they have 2 weeks of water stored water for 288 people.

The issue with B-rats is you need a way to prepair them and that is not listed. Survival bars are emergency food they are intended to just keep you alive. A unit living on them would not have energy reserves for combat. (If I recall right the boxes that our T-rats a common b ration came in where larger than the cases of MREs to feed the same number of people. But has been a long time since I had KP in the field.)

Khanibal
Hero

Uh, 288 troops for 2-weeks. What kind of waste management does it have?
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Beast wrote:

Yup. C5 awesome seating. Bit weird that it faces backward but the foot space was designed to have the dufflebag in front of the troop so it has a rediculous amount of space and with a dufflebag it makes for a comfortable sleep.
C17 also has permanent fold up seats along the wall. Long Space A with empty floor... most of us brought sleeping bags and slept on the floor.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Incriptus wrote:Yup I feel foolish now ... a poor grasp of size :-)

Even if sizing is off just increase the size of the compartments.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Khanibal wrote:Uh, 288 troops for 2-weeks. What kind of waste management does it have?

That’s what Dbee villages are for.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Khanibal wrote:Uh, 288 troops for 2-weeks. What kind of waste management does it have?

Drop as you go
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:it is worth noting that the amount of stored water can be reduced if the DHT has systems for pulling moisture out of the air and basic water purifying systems.

It does not say they are pulling water out of the air or have a purifying system it says they have 2 weeks of water stored water for 288 people.

The issue with B-rats is you need a way to prepair them and that is not listed. Survival bars are emergency food they are intended to just keep you alive. A unit living on them would not have energy reserves for combat. (If I recall right the boxes that our T-rats a common b ration came in where larger than the cases of MREs to feed the same number of people. But has been a long time since I had KP in the field.)

The flip side is it doesn't say anything at all about the food other than 'it exists'
So it could be in literally any form just as long as it exists.
B-Rations are perfectly valid as are survival bars... as they are 'meals'. It doesnt say the food is ready to eat, or that it doesnt need preperation. And since survival bars in Palladium are rather advanced (the books have them several places and they just say they count as meals... nothing about them having any down sides or lack of energy).
The water is a bigger question. Though I would agree with GB that if the water can be produced it counts, especially if it has a fixed amount of water that can be produced via handwavium.
Since otherwise as pointed out there are several dozen tons of unacounted cargo space and we start edging into tardis territory...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

also, most B-rations nowadays are basically just the MRE entree and sides options made in larger trays. they even are compatible with chemical heater packs for field heating. i think you are confusing B-rations for the A-rations, which is regular food made fresh in kitchens. B-rations are basically field rations made in larger packs so you can feed an entire unit at once as a group rather than each soldier individually.

and what we call 'survivial bars' the RPG calls "meal bars" in Mercops, and says you can use them to replace an MRE nutrition wise. so a CS unit having a large amount of such 'meal bars' to pad out their field endurance at the expense of comfort seems reasonable.

as far as water goes the big limiter on a "can produce or filter some in the field" approach is filter life.. cleaning and sterilizing the water is going to require special filters, which will gradually get so clogged up with gunk that they can't be used. trying to supply enough for almost three hundred people is going to result in a filter getting used up pretty fast.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Beast

It's obvious the CS just uses dehydrated water. :P
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Think they where referring to how planes like the C130 look configured for airborne operations. The back of the seats look like nets. Similar seats can be in a c-5 with an open middle.
C 130
http://www.aircraftsandplanes.com/wp-co ... Inside.jpg
C 5
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9e/fc/99/9efc ... 4bc83c.jpg

c 17
https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/ar ... 28656i.jpg

That isnt configured they're always there. They fold up.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Pretty much like this.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

You did read that article right? B rations take up more space than MREs (previously C rations). The packages the guy is cooking alone ar larger and more rigid than an MRE AND are only a part of a B ration meal. MREs are near 2000 Cal. a piece and soldiers are issued three a day. Maybe the CS just issue one as US DOD do recognize one can be rationed for a day for survival.

Daaaang I forgot each of those b ration packets are probably multi serve. Like each pack of eggs serves 5. But they are field kitchen serve only so size may be better but efficiency...
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I would say something like a LPD folded back on itself to drop the length and increase the height.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Anton ... sport_dock
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Blue_Lion
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:also, most B-rations nowadays are basically just the MRE entree and sides options made in larger trays. they even are compatible with chemical heater packs for field heating. i think you are confusing B-rations for the A-rations, which is regular food made fresh in kitchens. B-rations are basically field rations made in larger packs so you can feed an entire unit at once as a group rather than each soldier individually.

and what we call 'survivial bars' the RPG calls "meal bars" in Mercops, and says you can use them to replace an MRE nutrition wise. so a CS unit having a large amount of such 'meal bars' to pad out their field endurance at the expense of comfort seems reasonable.

as far as water goes the big limiter on a "can produce or filter some in the field" approach is filter life.. cleaning and sterilizing the water is going to require special filters, which will gradually get so clogged up with gunk that they can't be used. trying to supply enough for almost three hundred people is going to result in a filter getting used up pretty fast.

I am not confusing the two. Typically on a field problem where we had field kitchen support we got B rations for breakfast, MRE for lunch(if you wanted it) and A rats for dinner. The B rations we got where heated by dropping them in tanks of boiling water. I have never seen a chemical heater for them, in addition chemical heaters are bad for enclosed spaces they displace the oxygen. So how is the food prepared on a death head to avoid that risk? You then need things to go with the trays, such as utensils, plates, napkins. The end result is you wind up with a larger package.

Even if the survival bar provides the same nutrients as a MRE your troops are still going to feel hungry. As t here brain would think they did not eat sufficient, so it is a survival food but not what you want to feed your troops long term. If you live on them long term your stomach would shrink making it hard for you to switch back to regular food for sustenance.

Not sure what water purification has to do with the amount of water they say is stored on board.
Think we got a little off topic.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Mon May 28, 2018 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Beast

Blue_Lion wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:also, most B-rations nowadays are basically just the MRE entree and sides options made in larger trays. they even are compatible with chemical heater packs for field heating. i think you are confusing B-rations for the A-rations, which is regular food made fresh in kitchens. B-rations are basically field rations made in larger packs so you can feed an entire unit at once as a group rather than each soldier individually.

I am not confusing the two. Typically on a field problem where we had field kitchen support we got B rations for breakfast, MRE for lunch(if you wanted it) and A rats for dinner. The B rations we got where heated by dropping them in tanks of boiling water. I have never seen a chemical heater for them, in addition chemical heaters are bad for enclosed spaces they displace the oxygen. So how is the food prepared on a death head to avoid that risk? You then need things to go with the trays, such as utensils, plates, napkins. The end result is you wind up with a larger package.

That's normally how it was when I went to the field also.
Khanibal
Hero

2 Weeks of food for 288 dudes is about 7 pounds of ramen.
:)

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:

Even if the survival bar provides the same nutrients as a MRE your troops are still going to feel hungry. As t here brain would think they did not eat sufficient, so it is a survival food but not what you want to feed your troops long term. If you live on them long term your stomach would shrink making it hard for you to switch back to regular food for sustenance.

Not sure what water purification has to do with the amount of water they say is stored on board.
Think we got a little off topic.

? The heating elements are horrible in enclosed spaces because they create heat by stripping the oxygen molecule off some of the H2O producing heat and hydrogen2 and o1 gasses.

Where does it say that it is set up to consume all this while in flight? Of course the alternate is true as well as it doesnt say they have to stop.

Also aircraft are not sealed they pump in air from outside it is not, contrary to popular myth, recycled in the cabin. Even the environmentally sealed DHT probably doesnt start using g internal oxygen reserves unless it detects contaminants
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Beast wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

When we trained we had in camp and in the field. In camp we had two hots and a cot in the field you got three MREs per planned day and a bag
Blue_Lion
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

When we trained we had in camp and in the field. In camp we had two hots and a cot in the field you got three MREs per planned day and a bag

MREs count as a hot. You are suppose to get access to three hot meals a day regardless of where you are.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

the B-rations that are fairly common right now are the Unitized Group Ration - Express, or UGR-E. this is a "full meal in a box" for 18 people, with entree, 2 sides (veggie and a startch) in separate trays, plus drink powders and dessert items in individual pouches. size wise the UGR-E is about the same size as a case of MRE's.. which is only 12 MRE's, so you are looking at a 50% increase in terms of number of troops that can be fed for a given volume of storage space. the trays have chemical heaters built in for field use, or can be heated via hot water immersion in a field kitchen if one is available. as i said, it is basically MRE components in large trays rather than individual pouches.
this is something that was first developed in 2007, got adopted for use around 2010, and is now more or less standard B-rations for field deployments, especially in more remote areas like Afghanistan. (UGR-E's, like MRE's, are shelf stable and last for 3 years)

i would imagine the CS would have something similar.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

MREs count as a hot. You are suppose to get access to three hot meals a day regardless of where you are.

Considered and are, are two different things. Rarely given enough time to properly heat your MRE co some it and police the area... barely enough time to eat it cold and police the area.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:the B-rations that are fairly common right now are the Unitized Group Ration - Express, or UGR-E. this is a "full meal in a box" for 18 people, with entree, 2 sides (veggie and a startch) in separate trays, plus drink powders and dessert items in individual pouches. size wise the UGR-E is about the same size as a case of MRE's.. which is only 12 MRE's, so you are looking at a 50% increase in terms of number of troops that can be fed for a given volume of storage space. the trays have chemical heaters built in for field use, or can be heated via hot water immersion in a field kitchen if one is available. as i said, it is basically MRE components in large trays rather than individual pouches.
this is something that was first developed in 2007, got adopted for use around 2010, and is now more or less standard B-rations for field deployments, especially in more remote areas like Afghanistan. (UGR-E's, like MRE's, are shelf stable and last for 3 years)

Awesome... your source is wikipedia... using an archived website that no longer exists as its source. :wink:

Can we use a real source and learn that UGR-Es (E-rations) and UGR-Bs (B-rations) are no longer issued and have been replaced by UGR-Ms which only have an average Kcal of 1400 though it is high for a single meal, for a sedentary person, it would not make for good survival rations.

Anyway why are we comparing golden age rations to ours? For all we know they have pills that rehydrate into 5 course meals.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:the B-rations that are fairly common right now are the Unitized Group Ration - Express, or UGR-E. this is a "full meal in a box" for 18 people, with entree, 2 sides (veggie and a startch) in separate trays, plus drink powders and dessert items in individual pouches. size wise the UGR-E is about the same size as a case of MRE's.. which is only 12 MRE's, so you are looking at a 50% increase in terms of number of troops that can be fed for a given volume of storage space. the trays have chemical heaters built in for field use, or can be heated via hot water immersion in a field kitchen if one is available. as i said, it is basically MRE components in large trays rather than individual pouches.

Awesome... your source is wikipedia... using an archived website that no longer exists as its source. :wink:

Can we use a real source and learn that UGR-Es (E-rations) and UGR-Bs (B-rations) are no longer issued and have been replaced by UGR-Ms which only have an average Kcal of 1400 though it is high for a single meal, for a sedentary person, it would not make for good survival rations.

Anyway why are we comparing golden age rations to ours? For all we know they have pills that rehydrate into 5 course meals.

Why because the books say they have MREs the books never mention your super food pellet so that would be really big leap to assume it is there, while we know they have versions of modern rations in rifts.

I would kind of like to know how he got the size as I recall the boxes in the set where larger than cases of MREs to feed the same number of people. But hey lets see what military documentation says.
http://www.dla.mil/TroopSupport/Subsist ... ions/ugrm/
http://www.dla.mil/TroopSupport/Subsist ... rmacr.aspx

According to the .mil there are 48 cases of MREs on a pallet, 48 times 12 is 576 meals. While a pallet of URG-M has 8 sets 0f 50 for 400 meals.(MREs have a longer shelf life.) Seams MREs are smaller after all, But hey lets get more accurate with it.
http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Document ... weight.pdf
They do have your 18 person meals listed there URG-E.(They lack a price in the price guide so are most likly no longer available.)
http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Document ... esFY18.pdf
The URG-E has 324 serving per pallet think they have smaller pallets. case size 20*16*11 or 3520 cubic inches. Divide that by 18 and you get about 195.55 inches per person. MRE case 17*9.6*10.8 or about 1762.56 for case. divide that by 12 and you get 146.88 cubic inches per meal. So it seams MREs are smaller than the URG-e rations, they also are lighter than most sets of URG-e.-(Been a while since I had to plan for transporting and storage of rations in the field, it is not something My MOS normally worries about but I was assigned the task.)
***Dang did a .mil just totally debunk the b rats are smaller than MREs theory, I would think .mil being DoD affiliated makes a better source than a .com

We can make smaller more compact meals than MREs now(3 meals worth at 1/2 the size of 1 MRE) they are the FSR on that list, but they are only recommended for a few days. As I understand it more than a few days creates issues going back to eating regular food.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Why because the books say they have MREs the books never mention your super food pellet so that would be really big leap to assume it is there, while we know they have versions of modern rations in rifts.

I would kind of like to know how he got the size as I recall the boxes in the set where larger than cases of MREs to feed the same number of people. But hey lets see what military documentation says.

According to the .mil there are 48 cases of MREs on a pallet, 48 times 12 is 576 meals. While a pallet of URG-M has 8 sets 0f 50 for 400 meals.(MREs have a longer shelf life.) Seams MREs are smaller after all, But hey lets get more accurate with it.
They do have your 18 person meals listed there URG-E.(They lack a price in the price guide so are most likly no longer available.)
The URG-E has 324 serving per pallet think they have smaller pallets. case size 20*16*11 or 3520 cubic inches. Divide that by 18 and you get about 195.55 inches per person. MRE case 17*9.6*10.8 or about 1762.56 for case. divide that by 12 and you get 146.88 cubic inches per meal. So it seams MREs are smaller than the URG-e rations, they also are lighter than most sets of URG-e.-(Been a while since I had to plan for transporting and storage of rations in the field, it is not something My MOS normally worries about but I was assigned the task.)
***Dang did a .mil just totally debunk the b rats are smaller than MREs theory, I would think .mil being DoD affiliated makes a better source than a .com

We can make smaller more compact meals than MREs now(3 meals worth at 1/2 the size of 1 MRE) they are the FSR on that list, but they are only recommended for a few days. As I understand it more than a few days creates issues going back to eating regular food.

And all MRE means is meal ready to eat. It may have been concentrated to contain less calories in smaller packages.

Now away from sci-fi rations. According to older .mils the E-ration were comparatively smaller not considering for eating utensils, napkins, condiments, etc. But e-rats by current .mil sites dont even exist anymore and B-rats are on their way out and everyone is getting m-rats. Now if the book says they have MREs why are we arguing ration types? By we I obviously mean GB vs. The rest of us.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

And all MRE means is meal ready to eat. It may have been concentrated to contain less calories in smaller packages.

Now away from sci-fi rations. According to older .mils the E-ration were comparatively smaller not considering for eating utensils, napkins, condiments, etc. But e-rats by current .mil sites dont even exist anymore and B-rats are on their way out and everyone is getting m-rats. Now if the book says they have MREs why are we arguing ration types? By we I obviously mean GB vs. The rest of us.

So smaller if you do not count half the stuff in the box with them. Got it. If you look at the size listed for the box/case they come in, they are much larger.(they where listed as a legacy item, on the size chart 3rd link I listed.) I am not sure what older .mil sight you are referring to and i have never in my military experience seen a box for them smaller than a MRE box(typically they come in boxes that are almost the size of two mre cases).

That may be what the acronym stands for but it is typically a reference to s specific item. We do not have any data that says they made them smaller so as this started as some one pointing out the amount of space it is in that case it is still relevant. We have the ability to make smaller food now, but that food is only intended to be used for a couple of days even though it is smaller while maintaining calories and vitmens. AS a rifts grunt is likely as active as a modern one I do not see reducing calories as a smart move.

Honestly we are really off topic and in to well they could have used this instead.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Zer0 Kay wrote:

drop the condescending attitude. given how badly researched most of your suggestions tend to be in these sorts of threads, you don;t have any ground to stand on.
and i did not use just wikipedia as a source. i posted the link earlier because i know there are people here who wouldn't know what B-rations in general are. i didn't post links in my post above because i don't know about you, but while i'm willing to surf and post on my lunchbreak at work, i can't exactly decide to just extend it so i can run home and post copies of all the links from my research.

here were just a few.
http://luxfermagtech.com/products/unifi ... ress-ugre/
https://www.army.mil/e2/c/downloads/306070.pdf
http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2435
https://www.scribd.com/document/1871672 ... up-Rations

and perhaps i am a little out of date about its use.. but when all the sources i can find show current use, and i find nothing abotu them being dropped, it is usualyl safe to assume they remain in use. especially when you find manufacturer pages

edit: on recent searching, it looks like they've switched to "UGE -H&S" which feed 50 people per box.. so looks like they did drop the UGR-E.. but only so they could use its tech to build something able to feed a platoon at a time instead of just a squad.
http://www.dla.mil/TroopSupport/Subsist ... ons/ugrhs/

Blue_Lion wrote:Why because the books say they have MREs the books never mention your super food pellet so that would be really big leap to assume it is there, while we know they have versions of modern rations in rifts.

i stand corrected on the size, all the accounts ans sources i found indicated the box size was similar.
but the size difference is not that great, and by all accounts i've read the UGR-E meals are better quality (or at least, better received) than the MRE ones, so it is likely a CS force would still bring at least some UGR-E type rations for field use, for morale purposes if nothing else.

and technically the books don't say that the CS uses MRE's.. all we ever get is "X days of food" with them. but most of the food items we find in the books that would fit are various types of MRE's and the mealbars, which we are told are common items made by many manufacturers, so it would make sense that they use their own versions.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

I suggest that they use T-rats: the pouches are bigger on the inside.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Blue_Lion
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

drop the condescending attitude. given how badly researched most of your suggestions tend to be in these sorts of threads, you don;t have any ground to stand on.
and i did not use just wikipedia as a source. i posted the link earlier because i know there are people here who wouldn't know what B-rations in general are. i didn't post links in my post above because i don't know about you, but while i'm willing to surf and post on my lunchbreak at work, i can't exactly decide to just extend it so i can run home and post copies of all the links from my research.

here were just a few.

and perhaps i am a little out of date about its use.. but when all the sources i can find show current use, and i find nothing abotu them being dropped, it is usualyl safe to assume they remain in use. especially when you find manufacturer pages

edit: on recent searching, it looks like they've switched to "UGE -H&S" which feed 50 people per box.. so looks like they did drop the UGR-E.. but only so they could use its tech to build something able to feed a platoon at a time instead of just a squad.

Blue_Lion wrote:Why because the books say they have MREs the books never mention your super food pellet so that would be really big leap to assume it is there, while we know they have versions of modern rations in rifts.

i stand corrected on the size, all the accounts ans sources i found indicated the box size was similar.
but the size difference is not that great, and by all accounts i've read the UGR-E meals are better quality (or at least, better received) than the MRE ones, so it is likely a CS force would still bring at least some UGR-E type rations for field use, for morale purposes if nothing else.

and technically the books don't say that the CS uses MRE's.. all we ever get is "X days of food" with them. but most of the food items we find in the books that would fit are various types of MRE's and the mealbars, which we are told are common items made by many manufacturers, so it would make sense that they use their own versions.

How did you search that the .mil/DoD did not show up. That all can be found with a basic search. B rats and a rats where about moral not effecency in packaging as you claimed. So we know use of mres as was done by mack is a reasonable assumption of space. While 49 cubic inches per meal may not sound like much it adds up when it is 49x288x3x14

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

dreicunan wrote:I suggest that they use T-rats: the pouches are bigger on the inside.

I hear they even use a sun as a heater.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

here were just a few.

Actually the ground I have to stand on is a, b, e and m rations all require more space than MREs. That being said, I wasnt trying to be condescending. I was trying to be sarcastic, maybe a little facetious. But I don't look down on you so not condescending. Sorry if it came across that way. Kinda hurtful though how you actually view me with condecention actually detailing the points of your opinion. I just thought it was funny that you who are normally always right and do awesome research would use a non scholarly source and not go back to that source's source to make sure is up to date. So excuse me for finding humor in your occasional fault. Now I find it ironic how you DEMAND I stop the condescension and then immediately turn around and do it. A real Richard head thing to do. Good bye
Last edited by Zer0 Kay on Thu May 31, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

So smaller if you do not count half the stuff in the box with them. Got it. If you look at the size listed for the box/case they come in, they are much larger.(they where listed as a legacy item, on the size chart 3rd link I listed.) I am not sure what older .mil sight you are referring to and i have never in my military experience seen a box for them smaller than a MRE box(typically they come in boxes that are almost the size of two mre cases).

That may be what the acronym stands for but it is typically a reference to s specific item. We do not have any data that says they made them smaller so as this started as some one pointing out the amount of space it is in that case it is still relevant. We have the ability to make smaller food now, but that food is only intended to be used for a couple of days even though it is smaller while maintaining calories and vitmens. AS a rifts grunt is likely as active as a modern one I do not see reducing calories as a smart move.

Honestly we are really off topic and in to well they could have used this instead.

Uh... why are you arguing with me? I'm on your side, the MRE is smaller. I was saying that the e rats in the images from wikipedia are smaller for the packages they show but would be larger because the image doesnt show all the support material.

The other issue is I think that smaller tray is a single component of the rat like the entire or the corn or the rice.

Way off topic. Ewwww worst possibility, they use the protein paste. It's not good its dbeeeees... wait I meant peeeeeeeeple
Blue_Lion
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
dreicunan wrote:I suggest that they use T-rats: the pouches are bigger on the inside.

T-rats where the B rats of the 90s.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:Uh... why are you arguing with me? I'm on your side, the MRE is smaller. I was saying that the e rats in the images from wikipedia are smaller for the packages they show but would be larger because the image doesnt show all the support material.

The other issue is I think that smaller tray is a single component of the rat like the entire or the corn or the rice.

Way off topic. Ewwww worst possibility, they use the protein paste. It's not good its dbeeeees... wait I meant peeeeeeeeple

Sorry I misunderstood your point.

So that is what the CS does with all the old dog boys.

Khanibal
Hero

First the good news, new MREs https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/n ... h-quiches/
Second the question; How much air IS there in a banana?

SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Do any of you old time Sci/Fi readers remember from some of the late 70s, 80s a Sci/Fi military series (hammers slammers and such) had a food ration called Monkey? It was a ration bar that was so tough that it took you all day to chew one and it supplied all of your daily nutrient requirements.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Uh... why are you arguing with me? I'm on your side, the MRE is smaller. I was saying that the e rats in the images from wikipedia are smaller for the packages they show but would be larger because the image doesnt show all the support material.

Sorry I misunderstood your point.

So that is what the CS does with all the old dog boys.

"Why are you eating the dog food?! That's disgusting!!"
"Oh... this was for the dog boys? Aw it ain't that bad."
"No! It is the dog boys!!!"
"... :puke: "
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

T-rats where the B rats of the 90s.

But weren't invented till the 2060's :)

Return to “Rifts®”