Crazy ovulation? (nsfw?)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Crazy ovulation? (nsfw?)

Unread post by taalismn »

Axelmania wrote:Usually for 42,000 credits you get 48 robots for 4 uses, which I guess means they work in teams of 12. They are 1 use only.

Page 79 mentions Juicers have an internal and external IRMSS (you'd think the latter shold be called an ERMSS...) and it says the internal ones recharge via the body's electromagnetic energy which is pretty cool.

It makes me wonder if only juicers can enjoy that forever-IRMSS benefit, it seems like something a lot of people would want without the other aspects of being a juicer. Maybe Juicers generate more EM energy and normal humans can't create enough to recharge the IRMSS?

Indeed...Juicer-derived knockoff technologies have vast potential in that regard.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I think they are not standard because they are partly housed in the bio comp, where they recharged.

We do know it is the bio comp that makes juicing safe, the bio comp has sensors all over the body, no sensors on a fetus.

So you have complications from hormones out of wack in a baby with no bio-comp. Yea that does not sound safe in the least.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Axelmania wrote:It makes me wonder if only juicers can enjoy that forever-IRMSS benefit, it seems like something a lot of people would want without the other aspects of being a juicer. Maybe Juicers generate more EM energy and normal humans can't create enough to recharge the IRMSS?

http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2013/07/ri ... stown.html

Search "IRMSS Full-Life System"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072752/

Perhaps more conservatively we should discuss the implications of real science on the JAPE process (ie Juicer LITE) where it is a brief course of steroids in a more limited fashion. There appear to be benefits which increase the survival and development of premies.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:Usually for 42,000 credits you get 48 robots for 4 uses, which I guess means they work in teams of 12. They are 1 use only.

Page 79 mentions Juicers have an internal and external IRMSS (you'd think the latter shold be called an ERMSS...) and it says the internal ones recharge via the body's electromagnetic energy which is pretty cool.

It makes me wonder if only juicers can enjoy that forever-IRMSS benefit, it seems like something a lot of people would want without the other aspects of being a juicer. Maybe Juicers generate more EM energy and normal humans can't create enough to recharge the IRMSS?

Juicer's Metabolism's operate at an extraordianry hightened rate. That's the entire base concept. But "metabolism" is litterally "The body's cell's conversion of food into heat energy, which is then converted for all the other things the body does". That's why Cats are so warm and cuddly, their metabolism's operate at much higher rates than humans, ergo their body temprature is higher.

The Juicer's nanobots likely make use of this ambient excess heat for indefinate power. In fact it probablly is what keeps them from getting too hot for their brains. The Nanobots get an unlimited power supply by converting that extra heat into energy for themselves (While the juicer lives) and the Juicers metabolism can be jacked up higher than their brains could otherwise handle the resulting tempratures because the nanobots abosrb the excess heat for power.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Juicer's Metabolism's operate at an extraordianry hightened rate. That's the entire base concept. But "metabolism" is litterally "The body's cell's conversion of food into heat energy, which is then converted for all the other things the body does". That's why Cats are so warm and cuddly, their metabolism's operate at much higher rates than humans, ergo their body temprature is higher.

The Juicer's nanobots likely make use of this ambient excess heat for indefinate power. In fact it probablly is what keeps them from getting too hot for their brains. The Nanobots get an unlimited power supply by converting that extra heat into energy for themselves (While the juicer lives) and the Juicers metabolism can be jacked up higher than their brains could otherwise handle the resulting tempratures because the nanobots abosrb the excess heat for power.

While the nanites could be running off of body heat (although I seem to remember there was supposed to be a special compartment the nanites return to to recharge and be stored when not in use) it won't reduce the heat of the body at all because the nanites are in the body and any energy that they use to run on is going to be expended back into the body so the body won't cool at all. They aren't heat sinks that can magically make the energy that they're using disappear after all.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

While the nanites could be running off of body heat (although I seem to remember there was supposed to be a special compartment the nanites return to to recharge and be stored when not in use) it won't reduce the heat of the body at all because the nanites are in the body and any energy that they use to run on is going to be expended back into the body so the body won't cool at all. They aren't heat sinks that can magically make the energy that they're using disappear after all.

So the box is the heat sink instead of the nanites and it converts the body heat to charge. That works.

Also, nothing magic about it. If all energy used is re-expended, that would be perpetual motion. Every time energy is used, the amount of energy lessens. depending on the (in)efficeny, you can bleed off most of the heat into converting it back into power in that box you mention. You can't recycle heat that way without loosing heat, same reason you can't use one battery to recharge another battery and both never decrease. over time, both will run out recharging each-other, the energy is lost to entrophy.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blue_Lion
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Umm no. Heat is lost energy to resistance in the circuit the energy consumed(move) to power the robot would not all be lost energy so it is not all heat.
Computer chips create heat because they are not 100% energy efficient and energy is lost to Resistance of the circuit creating heat.
A 100% efficient computer chip would produce no heat.
Basically unless the goal is to make heat, in order for all energy to become heat the circuit would have a 0% efficiency leaving no energy to be applied for any other task.

Basically if you convert heat to electrical or mechanical energy, then tried to use that energy for a task the heat returned. It is not possible to create a endless loop of energy in this matter.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Umm this sounds fundamentally wrong to me. IF I understand it right. Heat is produced as a side affect of the consumption of food for energy. Our bodies are evolve to use this waist heat to maintain body temperature. While the more "food" burned for energy does mean more heat, the heat is a byproduct or waste of the process of converting the food to energy needed.

If our bodies ran on heat then we would have unlimited energy in environments hotter than our core temperature.

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Umm no. Heat is lost energy to resistance in the circuit the energy consumed(move) to power the robot would not all be lost energy so it is not all heat.
Computer chips create heat because they are not 100% energy efficient and energy is lost to Resistance of the circuit creating heat.
Basically unless the goal is to make heat, in order for all energy to become heat the circuit would have a 0% efficiency leaving no energy to be applied for any other task.

Basically if you convert heat to electrical or mechanical energy, then tried to use that energy for a task the heat returned. It is not possible to create a endless loop of energy in this matter.

Ummm yes. The nanites are operating inside the body, even if they ran off of heat (which they don't) and even if they were 100% efficient they couldn't COOL the body as was suggested by using that heat because they are still inside the body, all the heat generated in doing the work would go back into the body and technically would generate more heat because the nanites would need to consume more energy than they could put into useful work. Even if they were perpetual motion levels of efficient they'd still put back the same amount of heat that they'd used to power them.

Since they don't run on the body's heat but it's electrical fields instead they're converting the body's electrical energy into heat since heat WILL be generated as a result of the nanites doing work, it MUST be generated because that's what happens when you do work, which in this case the work would be moving body tissue around to reconnect damaged or severed portions and help the body's own healing along.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Blue_Lion wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Umm this sounds fundamentally wrong to me. IF I understand it right. Heat is produced as a side affect of the consumption of food for energy. Our bodies are evolve to use this waist heat to maintain body temperature. While the more "food" burned for energy does mean more heat, the heat is a byproduct or waste of the process of converting the food to energy needed.

If our bodies ran on heat then we would have unlimited energy in environments hotter than our core temperature.

I was simplifying for brevity as I didn't think a complete discetion of the metaboloic process was really needed for this discussion. but the more complete answer is: all that moves and exists runs on heat, because heat is the energy of motion in the macro sense. in the micro sense; Homeostasis means that Heat alone cannot be very useful for work within an organism because the body is of mostly uniform temprature and pressure, and it's a difference of temprature and pressure that allows motion to occur; motion is, fundamentally, the change that occurs when matter in a higher energy/pressure state moves into an area with a lower energy/pressure state relative to itself. And that's it. That's motion defined. (Like much of the world, what seems constant from the macro level is more varied on the micro level. Even though your body temprature is on average 36C, or you can heat up a pan to 350F, if you zoom in to the microscopic level, heat is not trasnfered with perfect uniformity, so there will usually always be some atoms with slightly more or less heat than it's neighbors)

what happens is the body carefully extracts enough heat energy from the chemical reaction in metabolism to boost the molecules that do need to move around to a higher energy state than the rest of the body so they can move, and the rest of energy not needed becomes "waste heat" and body heat. The body has no mechanism to convert ambient heat into energy, so that's not really relevent. It's not as simple as "Absorbing heat to move", but the reaction of carbon and oxygen within the cell directly is converting part of that heat into internal motion by boosting certain parts of the body that need to move to have more energy than those around it, and so be able to move. It's just not as simple as the body converting heat from any source into that.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nightmask wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Ummm yes. The nanites are operating inside the body, even if they ran off of heat (which they don't) and even if they were 100% efficient they couldn't COOL the body as was suggested by using that heat because they are still inside the body, all the heat generated in doing the work would go back into the body and technically would generate more heat because the nanites would need to consume more energy than they could put into useful work. Even if they were perpetual motion levels of efficient they'd still put back the same amount of heat that they'd used to power them.

Since they don't run on the body's heat but it's electrical fields instead they're converting the body's electrical energy into heat since heat WILL be generated as a result of the nanites doing work, it MUST be generated because that's what happens when you do work, which in this case the work would be moving body tissue around to reconnect damaged or severed portions and help the body's own healing along.

Actually perpetual motion is what your discribing, outputting more energy than put in. Heat is waste energy, the energy that wasn't converted to useful work, and always less than the total energy that was origionally spent.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Actually perpetual motion is what your discribing, outputting more energy than put in. Heat is waste energy, the energy that wasn't converted to useful work, and always less than the total energy that was origionally spent.

Unless your in Palladium land :lol: Energy In and Energy Out often only have a passing aquaintance with each other, if that.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Can we get back to the OP topic of the feasibility of a Crazy carrying a baby to term? Not Juicer pregnancy, metabolism, the mechanics of the IRMSS, thermodynamics in a biological system, but CAN CRAZIES carry babies to term.
Please?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Can we get back to the OP topic of the feasibility of a Crazy carrying a baby to term? Not Juicer pregnancy, metabolism, the mechanics of the IRMSS, thermodynamics in a biological system, but CAN CRAZIES carry babies to term.
Please?

"Answer is Hazy, ask again later."
On a more serious note the answer is "that depends on far to many variables, many of which will be specific to a particular GMs game to make a blanket answer on."

My view on it would be that they could carry a baby... but said child would be at a high risk for birth defects due to the parents abnormal metabolisim and the Crazy is going to be a high risk parent due to the simple fact that they are not renowed for being stable, or eating properly or the like.
I would suggest that if the baby DID make it to term that it be delivered via C-section as the Crazy's musculature is insanly boosted and there would be a fairly high risk of the baby being injured or killed from the super powerful contractions.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Can we get back to the OP topic of the feasibility of a Crazy carrying a baby to term? Not Juicer pregnancy, metabolism, the mechanics of the IRMSS, thermodynamics in a biological system, but CAN CRAZIES carry babies to term.
Please?

I would say "Yes, they can", without any biological qualifications. If you can keep them from throwing themselves into danger, they can do so quite easily.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
taalismn
Priest

Mark Hall wrote:
Please?

I would say "Yes, they can", without any biological qualifications. If you can keep them from throwing themselves into danger, they can do so quite easily.

And M.O.M. Crazy moms take 'crazy mother' to new levels of truth.
Worse is if BOTH your parents are M.O.M.s. It's like being the offspring of a pair of Deadpool clones.
Though the dilemma is; is the strain of parenthood enough to knock a Crazy somewhat sober-sane, or does it just drive them ever faster to the edge?
And when it goes bad, it goes bad -grimdark-.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Umm lets see
I explain why they would not produce as much heat as they use as heat is lost/waste energy.
You counter with it does not mater they are inside the body and would not reduce body heat even if they where 100% energy efficient.

Basically because we know the nanites task is not to produce heat but perform surgeries any heat produced would be energy lost do to resistance.

A 100% energy efficient bot would produce heat equal to or less than 0% of the energy it used.(theoretically impossible level energy of efficiency.)
A 75% energy efficient bot would produce heat equal to or less than 25% of the energy it used.
A 50% energy efficient bot would produce heat equal to or less than 50% of the energy it used.
A 1% energy efficient bot would produce heat equal to or less than 99% of the energy it used.

See the pattern it is impossible to use energy for anything other than heat and turn 100% of the energy used into heat.

To the original poster-I see nothing in the implant itself that would stop the natural fertility of the crazy.
The topic kind of moved on in a side conversation after people said what they had to say about the original topic.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

What if the nanobots aid the sweat process? Even if heat-in = heat-out eventually, nanobots could opt to absorb heat energy while in deep tissue, store it, and then wait until closer to the skin surface to expend that energy. So when it does eventually convert stored heat back into heat, it is easier for the heat to irradiate into the air, get sweated out, etc.

This would also result in Juicers sweating profusely when the nanobots are repairing internal injuries (the conversion back to heat is in deep tissue, does not assist the sweat process) but not sweat very much when the nanobots are repairing external injuries.

This does make me wonder with traditional IRMSS : if you injected a pregnant (non-juicer) woman in the arm, could the bots travel to repair injuries in a fetus via the umbilical cord?
taalismn
Priest

Axelmania wrote:What if the nanobots aid the sweat process? Even if heat-in = heat-out eventually, nanobots could opt to absorb heat energy while in deep tissue, store it, and then wait until closer to the skin surface to expend that energy. So when it does eventually convert stored heat back into heat, it is easier for the heat to irradiate into the air, get sweated out, etc.r)?

"That's not acne, that's my nanobots venting."

Or just build an extra cooling system into the Juicer harness(kind of like Battletech's mechpilot cooling vests_.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Library Ogre

taalismn wrote:And M.O.M. Crazy moms take 'crazy mother' to new levels of truth.
Worse is if BOTH your parents are M.O.M.s. It's like being the offspring of a pair of Deadpool clones.
Though the dilemma is; is the strain of parenthood enough to knock a Crazy somewhat sober-sane, or does it just drive them ever faster to the edge?
And when it goes bad, it goes bad -grimdark-.

Crazies need less sleep and wake easily from it. That, alone, makes them excellent potential parents.

All Palladium Articles
taalismn
Priest

Mark Hall wrote:[
Crazies need less sleep and wake easily from it. That, alone, makes them excellent potential parents.

Outweighed by the other things Crazies are known for...

Phobia: Diapers

Power Item: Clothing: Diapers.(okay, that and Power Food: Strained Beets saves on expenses since parent and child share the same supplies).

"How about -I- throw up on you for a change?"

On the other hand, a Crazy parent's going to take their child's worries about monsters under the bed SERIOUSLY.

Or, later in life:
"No, you can't have the car."
"But your Warrior personality said I COULD!"
"If the Warrior said for you to jump off a cliff, would you?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Axelmania wrote:What if the nanobots aid the sweat process? Even if heat-in = heat-out eventually, nanobots could opt to absorb heat energy while in deep tissue, store it, and then wait until closer to the skin surface to expend that energy. So when it does eventually convert stored heat back into heat, it is easier for the heat to irradiate into the air, get sweated out, etc.

This would also result in Juicers sweating profusely when the nanobots are repairing internal injuries (the conversion back to heat is in deep tissue, does not assist the sweat process) but not sweat very much when the nanobots are repairing external injuries.

This does make me wonder with traditional IRMSS : if you injected a pregnant (non-juicer) woman in the arm, could the bots travel to repair injuries in a fetus via the umbilical cord?

given there size and number i doubt there venting heat would help much.

Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

taalismn wrote:Or, later in life:
"No, you can't have the car."
"But your Warrior personality said I COULD!"
"If the Warrior said for you to jump off a cliff, would you?"

"Last week YOU threw me off a cliff!"
"It was for your own good, there was a cloud over us, it may have been watching, or a dragon"

Return to “Rifts®”