Technowizard Spell Casting Focus

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Technowizard Spell Casting Focus

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

While we tend to think of Technowizards as magic item builders, we might some times forget that they can cast their spells independently. There is a catch though, they can cast it like a Ley Line Wizard and take penalties to the spell's potency OR they can channel the casting through a device (TW or mudane) at no penalty and the only restriction is the device's function must relate to the spell in some way. This was introduced in Rifts Ultimate Edition, in RMB they could cast as Ley Line Walker with potency penalties, but could not cast via a device.

With this in mind what device or devices might a Techno-wizard have on them to use as a spell focus to cast regularly? What devices give them the most return on investment (ie this device can be used with multiple spells)? Lets also keep the consideration to the starting spell list, not anything they might pickup later.
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Technowizard Spell Casting Focus

Unread post by wyrmraker »

ShadowLogan wrote:While we tend to think of Technowizards as magic item builders, we might some times forget that they can cast their spells independently. There is a catch though, they can cast it like a Ley Line Wizard and take penalties to the spell's potency OR they can channel the casting through a device (TW or mudane) at no penalty and the only restriction is the device's function must relate to the spell in some way. This was introduced in Rifts Ultimate Edition, in RMB they could cast as Ley Line Walker with potency penalties, but could not cast via a device.

With this in mind what device or devices might a Techno-wizard have on them to use as a spell focus to cast regularly? What devices give them the most return on investment (ie this device can be used with multiple spells)? Lets also keep the consideration to the starting spell list, not anything they might pickup later.

I'll be the first to admit that, as a player who loves to play a solid techno-wizard, coming up with TW foci that can manage multiple spells can be kind of tricky. Personally, I recommend looking at a standard toolbelt for ideas. Light spells should be handleable with laser tools, binding spells with pliers, and never forget the adaptability of a good multitool, especially if the GM lets you build your own.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Personally I play a TW and I do not use the focus for full damage with my tw.
Because
A i do not see diging around in my tool belt befor casting spells practical in the time frame of combat.
B I see it as out side the original spirit of TWs

But that is just my opinion.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Umbrella. Have a player that includes one in his TW's standard carry gear. Levitate has been the most common usage, but others have been suggested as possible. Other flight and air spells, some protective and concealment base spells, and I think the only reason he hasn't thought to include a Penguin-esque gun trigger to it is because he also carries TW MD Revolver for firing bullets, CTF rounds, TK shots, and as a offensive casting focus. There's also a plastic toy gun in his kit somewhere for visiting no weapon areas.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I had a house rule idea a while back: allow the TW to double the PPE expenditure to cast the spell at full power without using a focus item.

Something to consider.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Like they need MORE work-arounds =/ Bad enough they can pull out a slingshot as a means of casting "throwing stones" penalty-free.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

carry around a pre-rifts star trek tricorder (from some cosplayer). you can basically do anything with those things :P

more seriously: a radio could probably be justified for most mental spells. some sort of (fake) force field generator for many defensive spells. AR glasses for most information-gathering spells. remember the old nintendo power glove? that's another one you can justify for a lot of stuff :) a projector for illusions :)

one of my favourites is a blender for casting the sustain spell - you mix yourself up a magical meal replacement shake :-P
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Shark_Force wrote:one of my favourites is a blender for casting the sustain spell - you mix yourself up a magical meal replacement shake

If someone managed via TTGD to convert the Air Warlock spell of Tornado (or Water Warlock spell of Whirlpool) to common magic, a blender would also seem like an interesting way to cast either spell.

Return to “Rifts®”