Some Magical Nonsense

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What level would you pick?

Level 1
No votes
Level 2
No votes
Level 3
14%
Level 4
14%
Level 5
14%
Level 6
29%
Level 7
14%
Level 8
14%
Level 9
No votes
Level 10
No votes
Level 11
No votes
Level 12
No votes
Level 13
No votes
Level 14
No votes
Level 15
No votes

Total votes: 7

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Some Magical Nonsense

Unread post by Mack »

While leafing through the BoM, I thought of the following bit of amusement:

Suppose you're going to play a simple character (such as a Vagabond) but with a little twist. You're allowed to pick all the spells from a single level of the Invocation list. If you pick level 3, you'd get all of the level 3 invocations but no others. If you pick level 10, you'd get all of the level 10 invocations but no others. The character's PPE will be ten times the level you pick (so either 30 or 100 in the two previous examples.)

While the initial temptation is to pick a very high level, keep in mind that the character may not have enough PPE to cast the spells. For example, level 12 has very few spells that can be cast for 120 PPE.

So... what level would you pick, and why? :fool:

[Note, spells are limited to the common Invocation list. Other magic types, such as Warlock or Temporal Magic, are precluded.]
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Re: Some Magical Nonsense

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

I went with Level 8 personally. Good selection of offensive and defensive spells combined with some useful non combat spells (greater healing). Level 6 spells were also tempting
iteration27
Explorer

Unread post by iteration27 »

well id pick a high level for the purposes of trading my spell knowledge for lots of lovely cash.and because i dont have the book access to answer the question.but mostly the cash.i like cash.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I actually like the spell assortment available for level 5 spells.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Since there is no indication of being able to tap other sources of PPE (ley line, death, etc), which means # of casting per level might be important to figure out. Level 14-15 could not be cast at all and Starting with Level 10 there are spells you could not cast (and Spells of Legend are completely out as they don't have a level # to determine PPE).

Level 3 oddly enough allows the most castings (min and max), and level 5 and 6 are statistically the same (min and max castings, plus # of spells available only beat out by level 8 if one ignores Death Curse). PPE cost is also assumed to be the lowest for any spell.

With this all in mind I think Level 6 and Level 3 are very good selections due to the selection of spells and number of castings, I am going with Level 6, but other factors might change the selection in actual practice.

Though other things I might consider with an actual character though would be: do I want the spells to relate to my attributes and skills. How does my character integrate these spells in their life.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Level 3 seams a good choice for a vagabond. The spells would add to survival chances can heal and even in pinch provide PPE.
Armor of ithan, breath without air, float in air, impervious to poison, impervious to fire, ignite fuel flame, negate poisons, light heal, invisibility simple are all good survival tools. Offense is lacking only energy bolt and paralysis lessor, but the vagabond should be able to get a MD weapon.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I'll go with Level 7. 70 PPE is a decent base to work with.

Notable spells:
-- Fly as the Eagle, for mobility.
-- Invisibility Superior, for staying out of trouble.
-- Invulnerability, really good protection spell (does a lot more than just provide MDC)
-- Lightblade & Mental Shock, for offense.
-- Sub-Particle Acceleration, mostly for the ability to recharge e-clips.
-- Wind Rush, for practical jokes!

Plus there's some other good RP spells in there.

---EDIT---------------------------

Hmm... something else to consider. At level 7 everything with take two actions to cast. There's another incentive to look at level 5 and lower spells.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”