New to the game

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kirito
D-Bee

New to the game

Unread post by Kirito »

I find character creation very confusing. What page in the core book describes how to do it? I wanted to make a mutant and downloaded After the Bomb and Mutants in Orbit. Neither of them seem to describe how to do it either or give mutation tables. Little help please.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Re: New to the game

Unread post by Khanibal »

If you're playing Rifts, you'll want the Rifts Ultimate Edition book.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

After the Bomb is a supplement for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Mutants in Orbit is a supplement for both TMNT and Rifts. You need one of those core books to create a character.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

Roll the dice for attributes. apply the modifiers appropriate for the attributes, if any, then copy everything out of your O.C.C. description for skills/special abilities. It's pretty straight forward.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Page 279 of the RUE is where character creation is.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Kirito wrote:I find character creation very confusing. What page in the core book describes how to do it? I wanted to make a mutant and downloaded After the Bomb and Mutants in Orbit. Neither of them seem to describe how to do it either or give mutation tables. Little help please.

Mutants in Orbit does have character creation rules (I don't own After the Bomb).

Rifts Character creation is on pg13-14, however it references back to the main core book (either Rifts Main Book or Rifts Ultimate Edition will do) for a lot of the steps.

After the Bomb creation is on pg6-12. The only real step they left out was Step 1 (8 attributes), but that is pretty standard so if you have ATB's main book (and not a TMNT supplement version) or another Palladium main core book you should be able to plug those in. These can also be used for Rifts mutant animal creation.

Even in main books, some of the character creation steps might be out of order in actual practice.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

in general, you decide what kind of character you are interested in. (this is actually more important than in a game like D&D because in palladium race choice can significantly affect how you determine attributes)
2 you roll attributes and apply race /class modifiers (if any)
3 you determine skills, and apply modifiers as needed, some skills (mostly physical) can adjust attributes, and attributes (especially intelligence) can adjust skills final ratings, and some skills affect other skills.
4 finalize derived stats, such as hit points and S/M DC
5 finalize character background, personality, and details like height weight build eye and hair color (as applicable) and similar
6 determine and finalize details like gear, money and similar.
7 I believe your character should be essentially done, so time to play
Kirito
D-Bee

Unread post by Kirito »

Alrighty then I have it figured out. I downloaded the ultimate core book. I actually made a heroes unlimited character. He's a military experiment. Trying to find good M.D.C. armor now.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Kirito wrote:Alrighty then I have it figured out. I downloaded the ultimate core book. I actually made a heroes unlimited character. He's a military experiment. Trying to find good M.D.C. armor now.

for "starter" armor bushman is actually pretty decent, granted when some of the books start getting added it becomes rather meh but.

for example if you have access to it the CA6 armor pretty much makes the original bushman into a joke.
then there are various power armors etc.

then there are always things like the Neruni armors and shields etc.

as I remember it the basic bushman is ~60-90 mdc so its pretty fair armor and its full environmental.

but to be honest your best defense is to not get his so try not to rely on armor, its better to use it as more of a ha I survived your hit thing than a I walk into the open and blaze away at ...
Kirito
D-Bee

Unread post by Kirito »

I noticed the Bushman armor too. Seemed good to start. Still out of my price range at character creation but I'll be able to get it a couple of sessions in.

Some of the power armors look amazing. I saw one that was a million though. Gonna be a while.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Khanibal wrote:After the Bomb is a supplement for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Mutants in Orbit is a supplement for both TMNT and Rifts. You need one of those core books to create a character.

After the bomb is a independent game now if he has the currant book it is complete. Charter creation is confusing because of the bio-e system.

It comes to which book he has. The one with the orange back ground is a supplement, the one with a elephant flipping a robot is a complete game.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”