open to suggestion on completing this character

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

iteration27
Explorer

open to suggestion on completing this character

Unread post by iteration27 »

so my player has put together an operator for my rifts superhuman adventure.he has a solid idea of three major powers he wants together and how he intends to use them.he also wants the three minor powers but isnt sure what he wants for those so has asked me to just choose for him,which is fair.
I want these minor powers to help tie the major ones together,to help make sense of the combination he's chosen,but i myself am unsure what to do with this.suggestions?

the major powers are dimension door(room),multiple selves and item reduction.Im sure you can all see how those three powers would be used by an operator...now about those minors...
guardiandashi
Hero

Re: open to suggestion on completing this character

Unread post by guardiandashi »

it all depends on how munchy /optimized you want the char to be.

the first things that popped into my head were Extraordinary attributes abilities such as ex Mental Endurance, possibly ex physical endurance, (if you have powers unlimited 3, EX intelligence ) and then something on the speed, pp, or like sense of touch, or some kind of vision, so they can be faster more precise and generally just "better" at building stuff
now the problem with the choices I mentioned is they have a tendency (especially the ex iq of making the character harder to play because they` become "Wile E. Coyote" super genius or tony stark (without all the money) or mister fantastic or similar, IE sometimes too smart for their own good.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

vision enhancement might be useful for an operator, as might enhanced hearing and smell.
I smell a leak.
Oh that that gear sounds off.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Supervision: X-Ray, Speed Tasking (PU1), and Multiple Limbs would be my suggestions.

I had thought of Supervision: Advanced sight as well as Enhanced Hearing as alternatives, but I figure a skilled Operator could represent those with skills.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
iteration27
Explorer

so far all good choices in their ways and no reason to say otherwise.BUt im not sure if they address the issue of tying them together in order to make sense of them.Forcing some kind of theme.

Like,i was considering that the powers as they sit so far all work of off dimensional energy.Like his doorway giving him a link to that dimension and enabling him to manipulate dimensional energy from that power to enable other specific effects,like the multiple beings,being molded from that energy...or using the energy to reduce or increase the molecular mass of objects to explain his item reduction.thats just an example of what im trying to get at and im no scientist so im not sure how much sense im making.but if his powers were derived from dimensional manipulation as a whole,what minor powers would now seem more in keeping with that idea or how would you explain minor power choices that dont seem to fit.
Or is there a better way to define his powers other than my above (terrible) example of dimensional manipulation and how would you choose minor powers based that new definition.
Maybe im throwing unnecessary thought at it,but i like things to feel tangibly cohesive.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

bend light, flight:wingless (personal gravity), horror factor (flavoured as people reacting to his unnatural geometry), manipulate kinetic energy (not sure if i'd combine with bend light, together kinda makes him really hard to hurt), healing factor.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Which version,of the conversion rules are you using? Conversion book 1, Skraypers, or Conversion Book 1 revised? (I think that covers the major 3 incarnations of the conversion rule versions.)
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
iteration27
Explorer

yeah revised conversion book,in conjunction with the powers books,armageddon unlimited and HU2...ive sorted the character,so thats cool,but i'd appreciate input on something else.Im away from my books for the next couple weeks so cant look stuff up myself,but im still writing up what i can and making notes etc.

All my players are Rifts supers as you know and im creating an opposing group.I did 2 NPCS already and a kind of theme came out of them.

One guy has the powers of ex MA,ex ME,summon lesser demon/deevil,command lieutenants of hell and shadow manipulation...which kinda made him similarish to a shifter/summoner(or shadow shifter as i dubbed him).
The second guy has the powers of sensory orb,healing factor,spectrum vision,mechano link,reconstruction and weapon melding.hes kinda like a necromancer but with tech(obviously dubbed him the technomancer)
So being kinda magey super villains,i thought I'd make the remaining ones magic user themed too.not sure if i'll do three or four more of these guys.
so any interesting ideas to make magey supers without actually using magic? I really want to be able to have solid ideas so i can just get straight to work once im back home.warlock should be a doddle as i do remember there being control powers for all the elements.oh yeah,im using the conversion book way of doin rifts supers so max of 3maj 3 min.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

All of a sudden I'm remembering the techno-mage from Babylon 5
And umm there was a class that melds (Jacks in and controlls) vehicles like a rigger from shadowrun
iteration27
Explorer

well i never said i was being original.originality is just not that easy.just putting together NPC's with a theme.
yeah,are you thinking of the techno-jacker from splicers? i think its called that,or was it in a rifter,im not sure.But yeah the second character is like that or similar to a malvoren.but neither of those two is a RIFTS superhuman,so doesnt fit the bill.
But like i said,i already put together the Shifter type dude and the tech necromancer dude.just looking for ways to make super equivalents of other Magic O.C.C's until i can get back to me books.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Might be a bit out there, but what about Instant Weapon/Instant Wardrobe?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

iteration27 wrote:the major powers are dimension door(room),multiple selves and item reduction.Im sure you can all see how those three powers would be used by an operator...now about those minors...

1: Instant Weapon & Instant Wardrobe & Bio Aura = Warping Space, Self & Items = A useful excuse for his multiple selves to not appear nekid and unarmed.

2: Speed Tasking & Multitasking & Bookworm = Operator skills synergy
iteration27
Explorer

its all good,the player actually decided to finish the character himself.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

iteration27 wrote:its all good,the player actually decided to finish the character himself.

Curious minds want to know, what did he go with?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
iteration27
Explorer

He actually did go with speed and multi tasking and the sensory orb one of my villains actually has.

his use of multiple selves is self explanatory,hes main use for his dimensional room is as a portable workshop and storage room and his item reduction is for storage aswell,of course.but he also has the idea of shrinking things to repair them.which i figure is mainly for MDC restoration.he also wants to use it to steal things like light power armour and vehicle.Multiple selves allowing the shrinking of heavier items.The speed/multi tasking are obvious in application,especially with multiple selves and the sensory orb is also extra useful with multiple selves being able to use it to scout huge areas safely and find more stuff to steal or salvage.

his idea was like a "one" man salvage/restoration team

Return to “Rifts®”