Flame Burst Body Protection / Psychic Body Field interaction

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Flame Burst Body Protection / Psychic Body Field interaction

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 51 of Psyscape allowed Bursters access to a super psi (Radiate Horror Factor, introduced in the book) instead of 2 minors.

I only just noticed RUE 141 also added Psychic Body Field as an option. It had also been introduced in Psyscape but wasn't an option at the time.

30 ISP for 2 minutes of 10 MDC
vs
4 ISP for 2 minutes of 36 MDC which regenerates ~10 per melee.

Not much of a contest, PBB primarily seems like an option when you want protection without harming things around you. PBB gets a better per-level increase but it takes a while for that to catch up. For example, at 10th level, PBB is 100 MDC and FBBP is 90 MDC. But still, you can activate FBBP seven times for less ISP than it takes to put up PBBP once... so it's still not that attractive.

What occurs to me though is... can you stack them? If so, how does that work? Which is hit first? I think it would be optimal to have PBB on the inside (since it does not regenerate and is more costly to replace) and FBBP on the outside, but I don't know if the option/choice exists on which to layer on the inner or outer, or if it's even possible to have 2 protective auras up.

Another consideration is the Burster's first power. "Impervious to Fire and Heat" says it applies to "him and what he is wearing". Do you "wear" and aura? Or is an aura considered to be part of you? The phrase "aura around him" makes the aura sound like a distinct noun which is separate from the person. Whether or not the FBBP or PBF is impervious to fire (or 1/2 damage from energy) like the Burster's flesh and armor is, is a major tactical consideration I'd like to know.
dreicunan
Hero

Re: Flame Burst Body Protection / Psychic Body Field interac

Unread post by dreicunan »

Axelmania wrote:Page 51 of Psyscape allowed Bursters access to a super psi (Radiate Horror Factor, introduced in the book) instead of 2 minors.

I only just noticed RUE 141 also added Psychic Body Field as an option. It had also been introduced in Psyscape but wasn't an option at the time.

30 ISP for 2 minutes of 10 MDC
vs
4 ISP for 2 minutes of 36 MDC which regenerates ~10 per melee.

Not much of a contest, PBB primarily seems like an option when you want protection without harming things around you. PBB gets a better per-level increase but it takes a while for that to catch up. For example, at 10th level, PBB is 100 MDC and FBBP is 90 MDC. But still, you can activate FBBP seven times for less ISP than it takes to put up PBBP once... so it's still not that attractive.

What occurs to me though is... can you stack them? If so, how does that work? Which is hit first? I think it would be optimal to have PBB on the inside (since it does not regenerate and is more costly to replace) and FBBP on the outside, but I don't know if the option/choice exists on which to layer on the inner or outer, or if it's even possible to have 2 protective auras up.

Another consideration is the Burster's first power. "Impervious to Fire and Heat" says it applies to "him and what he is wearing". Do you "wear" and aura? Or is an aura considered to be part of you? The phrase "aura around him" makes the aura sound like a distinct noun which is separate from the person. Whether or not the FBBP or PBF is impervious to fire (or 1/2 damage from energy) like the Burster's flesh and armor is, is a major tactical consideration I'd like to know.

I'm dubious about stacking the powers, but on the other hand given the costs involved and duration I can see allowing it. I'd definitely rule that the PBF would go under the FBBP. Remember that PBF conforms to the psychic's body; it doesn't protect anything held in his hands, hung from his back, or worn on top of his head. To me that sure sounds like it wouldn't protect armor, either. FBBP, however, is part of a power that makes it clear that nothing on the body is actually on fire and that the aura is around him; we also know that Burster's are regularly depicted as being on fire but clothed. Thus, I can't see justifying that the powers would stack the other way if one allows them to stack.

You don't wear an aura, nor is an aura that you put up through a psychic power a part of you, so strictly speaking I would say that NEITHER power should benefit from Impervious to Fire and Heat. However, from a conceptual point of view, I'd probably rule that FBBP does benefit from it (a field of fire being immune to fire makes sense to me).

In addition, you might have an argument for Armor of Ithan or Armor Bizarre being cast on a burster benefitting from "Impervious to Fire and Heat," since one does seem to wear those armors.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Good point about the armor precedent! That subtlety didn't come to mind. I agree on the field of fire being immune being a good concept, I'm just hoping we can concretely support it somehow.

But if the aura benefits FBBP then it'd be strange if it didn't also protect PBF since as you pointed out it should be closer.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Axelmania wrote:Good point about the armor precedent! That subtlety didn't come to mind. I agree on the field of fire being immune being a good concept, I'm just hoping we can concretely support it somehow.

But if the aura benefits FBBP then it'd be strange if it didn't also protect PBF since as you pointed out it should be closer.

Closer, but not conforming to the statement of either being the burster or worn by the burster. Like I said, strictly speaking I don't think either power would fall under the criteria to immune to fire and heat.

Now, that said, if someone wants to have the immune power work as an aura and cover anything that would be within a certain rough range of the bursters body, then it would only be logical to have it cover PBF as well.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Rifts®”