TW Missing Gem/Spell

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

TW Missing Gem/Spell

Unread post by VR Dragon »

I was tinkering around with some TW ideas and I went looking for a gem on the RUE gem list and could not find a match for the spell Extinguish Fire. Can anyone help me out? What gem does that spell use? What book and page can I find it listed in?

Any help please. :?
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: TW Missing Gem/Spell

Unread post by Natasha »

VR Dragon wrote:I was tinkering around with some TW ideas and I went looking for a gem on the RUE gem list and could not find a match for the spell Extinguish Fire. Can anyone help me out? What gem does that spell use? What book and page can I find it listed in?

Any help please. :?

If I recall, there are some gems that are used for elemental magic given after the main listing. You could fall back on those if you can't find (or decide on) a suitable gem.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The stone for energy disruption would be a logical choice since the two spells have the same core concepts.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I agree with Nat & drew, you'll have to pick a stone that's used in similar spells.

Most of the fire spells use Deep Red Rubies or Smokey Quartz, so I'd start there. Energy Disruption (as suggested by drew) uses ruby Quartz.

Part of the judgement call you'll have to make is do you want to use a cheap or expensive stone. The ones I just mentioned range from only 150 credits/carat, up to 19,000 credits/carat. Using a lot of stones will drastically reduce the overall time & PPE costs. So do you want you the device to be easy/cheap to build, or do you want it to be rare & expensive? GM's call.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

As others have said, but I'll repeat and expand it to 5 options:

1. If it isn't listed/matched you can't use the spell. This is a literal reading of the rules.

2. Look for the spell in another discipline of magic and use that (in this case Elemental Fire does include "Extinguish Fire") as per text other disciplines have their spell lists reduced to one and or two gems (IIRC). I wouldn't require needing a caster from the discipline if it overlaps w/regular magic (and is known to the TW). This would also be within the text, though might be more of a spirit than literal take.

3. Look for a similar/related spell and use that gem. This one is more on shaky ground IMHO, but still doable as a houserule type thing since they don't seem to consider new spells that might come out later.

4. Review pre-made TW devices in various WB/SB/DBs to see if you can find a TW item that uses a missing spell and work from there. Though it should be kept in mind that most of the items are pre-RUE TW rule/guidelines so there might be some "breaking" going on. This likely will require an exhaustive search, and might yield up nothing (IDK).

5. A possibility is to review Gem Powers (Stone Master OCC in WB2, IINM HU2E has something similar) to see if a spell is included there. This might require reviewing it in a few places to be sure the list hasn't been updated. I'd put this down as a long shot though.

Return to “Rifts®”