AR for Amaki RCC + Cyber-Knight OCC ?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

AR for Amaki RCC + Cyber-Knight OCC ?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 154 of WB9 mentions a duelist and 3 gizmoteers at some point went looking for psyscape. Doesn't seem to mention WHEN so I'm not sure where to begin estimates on their arrival...

But somewhere along the way, they'd probably encounter Cyber-Knights in North America first...

Now whether you're talking about switching to Cyber-Knight as a 2nd OCC like Coake did, or an Amaki man+woman procreating and their child being raised as a Cyber-Knight, this seems like a possible OCC choice for this race.

Where I see an oddity though is the race has a natural armor rating of 16, which is also the default AR of cyber-armor...

So it seems like their natural armor rating would never come into play because any time someone surpassed the cyber-armor's AR, their strike roll would also be high enough to surpass the natural armor rating.

Seems kinda WRONG somehow. I can't really think of a fix outside of house rules...

If we looked at NAR 16 (ie you need to roll a 17 or higher instead of a 5 or higher to do damage with SDC attacks) as a sort of "you must surpass your to-hit number by 12 points to inflict damage" then maybe all SDC attacks which bypass the 16 AR for the Cyber-Armor should need to surpass an AR of 28 (strike 29+) to be able to do damage?

This is all irrelevent to MD stuff of course, just something fun to think about for SDC combat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: AR for Amaki RCC + Cyber-Knight OCC ?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You might want to reread the CK text. While the Amaki Race has does have a NAR 16. The CK's cyber armor only has a AR 16. The CK text also specifically says that it's AR uses the 'normal' AR mechanic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You might want to reread the CK text. While the Amaki Race has does have a NAR 16. The CK's cyber armor only has a AR 16. The CK text also specifically says that it's AR uses the 'normal' AR mechanic.

The Cyberknight Jedi-retcon-upgrade grants them a “growing” AR - it goes up as they gain levels.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You might want to reread the CK text. While the Amaki Race has does have a NAR 16. The CK's cyber armor only has a AR 16. The CK text also specifically says that it's AR uses the 'normal' AR mechanic.

The Cyberknight Jedi-retcon-upgrade grants them a “growing” AR - it goes up as they gain levels.

????
I sourced my CK information from RUE. I was staying within context of Axey talking about L1 CKs.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Axelmania
Knight

No reread needed, I am talking about how having normal AR equal to or higher than natural AR effectively nullifies NAR, even though conceptually it probably shouldn't.

I guess more broadly this is about Amaki with Cyber-Armor, which could happen with a variety of OCCs, not just cyber-knights.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

If they beat the cyber armor AR, roll again to see if they beat Nat AR.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:Where I see an oddity though is the race has a natural armor rating of 16, which is also the default AR of cyber-armor...

That is not what this sentence of yours says.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Axelmania wrote:

No reread needed, I am talking about how having normal AR equal to or higher than natural AR effectively nullifies NAR, even though conceptually it probably shouldn't.

I guess more broadly this is about Amaki with Cyber-Armor, which could happen with a variety of OCCs, not just cyber-knights.

More broadly it isn't just about the Amaki w/Cyber-Armor, but any race with natural AR using artificial AR armor would run into this issue.

W/Re to Cyber-Armor specifically any SDC attack above the AR doesn't hit an area protected by the Cyber-Armor. That is all. So if Jack the Cyber-Knight pisses off Jane for what ever reason and smacks Jack with a club while Jack isn't in body armor, a Roll of 15 or less strikes the Cyber-Armor itself but if she rolls above 16 (@level 1-3 CK) it strikes an area unprotected by the Cyber-Armor.
Axelmania
Knight

I do like dreicunan's idea of making 2 separate strike rolls when it comes to multiple AR coexisting. In cases where you only get a bonus for a single die roll I would apply that bonus to both rolls though since it's still 1 attack.

Return to “Rifts®”