Radio Jamming

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Iron Sorcerer
D-Bee

Radio Jamming

Unread post by Iron Sorcerer »

What is the range of radio jamming? Say a squad of Coalition soldiers is attacked by a Wild Weasel SAMAS (Bandito Arms), would they be able to talk to each other or any nearby vehicles?
Proseksword
Adventurer

Re: Radio Jamming

Unread post by Proseksword »

That's going to completely depend upon the transmission capabilities of the jamming equipment.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Iron Sorcerer wrote:What is the range of radio jamming? Say a squad of Coalition soldiers is attacked by a Wild Weasel SAMAS (Bandito Arms), would they be able to talk to each other or any nearby vehicles?

In the case of a Wild Weasel SAMAS, the maximum effective range of the Black Boxes is listed in New West . Per the description of the WW Samas there is a chance that the CS troops would not be able to talk via radio at all OR would be able to talk, but with some distortion.

Radio Jamming Range in general would depend on the sending range of the transmitter.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

And contrary to movies a jammed radio doesn't sound like nothing is on the line. Jamming is basically filling the frequency with so much static that a signal can't get across. Depending on the jammer it could be alleviated by simply changing the channel or may require changing to a radio that uses a different band of frequencies or maybe your radio cycles through frequencies or uses a system of encoding that is easily discernible (for the radio) against the background static.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

This is an area that I advise against overthinking. Rifts is a game; keep it simple.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:This is an area that I advise against overthinking. Rifts is a game; keep it simple.

Absolutely, was just informing

Should just be a roll of the skill... I forget is there one? If there isn't should use either Radio: Scrambler or Radio: Basic with deductions and the listed range of the device.

What? This isn't Synnibarr and we're not going to have a calculation for how hard you can exhale?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer
Comment: War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Unread post by TeeAychEeMarchHare »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mack wrote:This is an area that I advise against overthinking. Rifts is a game; keep it simple.

Should just be a roll of the skill... I forget is there one? If there isn't should use either Radio: Scrambler or Radio: Basic with deductions and the listed range of the device.

What? This isn't Synnibarr and we're not going to have a calculation for how hard you can exhale?

It used to be Scramblers, now it's Electronic Countermeasures.
Too much ammo is a self-correcting problem.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

TeeAychEeMarchHare wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

It used to be Scramblers, now it's Electronic Countermeasures.

Then there we have it. It is kind of funny though because Jamming and Scrambling are two different things so they shouldn't be. One is a way of hiding your communications the other stopping them.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Electronic countermeasures includes both jamming and scrambling IRL. as well as deception systems.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My rule of thumb, absent an explicit range being given (as for the Wild Weasel SAMAS) would be half the range of the radio being used for jamming. If an intrepid CS Tech Officer wanted to jigger with his armor radio and try to jam communications, he could effectively jam in a 2.5 mile radius, possibly modified for terrain (you can't jam as far in the Ozarks as you can in Lone Star... effectively, Lone Star is better for giving the raspberry), if I feel like it.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

note I would make a minor quibble about the jamming being flooding the bands with static, that is likely the default (because its easy) but really it would be overwhelming the bands with your signals to make it difficult to impossible for them to get their data through. so you could be transmitting just about anything, static, music, etc. the point is to cover as many bands and frequencies as possible with such a high level signal that their signal gets covered up and indisquingishable
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

That scene from Space Balls comes to mind with the Jam on the screen :lol:
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

(SHIFTY) wrote:That scene from Space Balls comes to mind with the Jam on the screen :lol:

Yeah, but that was how you jam radar.
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

The Beast wrote:
(SHIFTY) wrote:That scene from Space Balls comes to mind with the Jam on the screen :lol:

Yeah, but that was how you jam radar.

Ah ok it's been awhile since I saw it.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

guardiandashi wrote:note I would make a minor quibble about the jamming being flooding the bands with static, that is likely the default (because its easy) but really it would be overwhelming the bands with your signals to make it difficult to impossible for them to get their data through. so you could be transmitting just about anything, static, music, etc. the point is to cover as many bands and frequencies as possible with such a high level signal that their signal gets covered up and indisquingishable

this is why older depictions of jamming usually went with high pitched squeals and such.. easy for foley artists to make using feedback, and gets across the ideal pretty fast. more modern depictions use static.. but more modern jamming systems usually involve retransmitting sampled signals to largely neutralize the incoming on.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:note I would make a minor quibble about the jamming being flooding the bands with static, that is likely the default (because its easy) but really it would be overwhelming the bands with your signals to make it difficult to impossible for them to get their data through. so you could be transmitting just about anything, static, music, etc. the point is to cover as many bands and frequencies as possible with such a high level signal that their signal gets covered up and indisquingishable

this is why older depictions of jamming usually went with high pitched squeals and such.. easy for foley artists to make using feedback, and gets across the ideal pretty fast. more modern depictions use static.. but more modern jamming systems usually involve retransmitting sampled signals to largely neutralize the incoming on.

I know its an anime but I could totally see someone using something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sc19z3kGN0

or whatever music you wanted as your jamming signal as long as your friendlies had the base signal they could likely pick out things imposed on it (reducing or eliminating the effect of the jamming) while still allowing at least some of your communications to get through.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

makes the Minmay attacks of Macross seem less absurd if they'd also double as jamming.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Easiest would be jamming a single frequency with minor jamming on the frequencies harmonics. In order to do "flood" jamming of multiple frequencies you'd need a broadcasting system for each frequency... a radio set for each frequency your trying to jam. There are ways to get around "kitchen sink" jamming where your just providing a stronger radio signal than the one "they" want.

The AN/TPS-75 uses an agile decoder, mind you this is a radar but the basic technique could be used, essentially the encoder/decoder sends out an encoded signal and is able to find that encoding in the muck because it knows exactly what it is looking for and anything that isn't coming back encoded isn't the signal. So for a radio if a system is made to encode signals on both ends and sync that encoding it is possible and in any band as long as the levels of the signal are monitored by the equipment it can then extrapolate the change in that frequency based on the encoding and "remove" the jamming. Basically the jamming would be like a carrier signal with slight variations where the encoding would be those slight changes are the signal the radio wants. Waaaaay to over complicated for a game.

The more frequencies your jamming the more transmitters you need the more power and/or range you want the larger the transmitters are going to be.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

guardiandashi wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

I know its an anime but I could totally see someone using something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sc19z3kGN0

or whatever music you wanted as your jamming signal as long as your friendlies had the base signal they could likely pick out things imposed on it (reducing or eliminating the effect of the jamming) while still allowing at least some of your communications to get through.

And again... I really need to read all the posts before I respond. Yeah that's pretty much what the tipsy-75 does. But that isn't an example of jamming that is an example of a carrier signal.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:makes the Minmay attacks of Macross seem less absurd if they'd also double as jamming.

What do you mean they didn't? Seemed to jam up the Zentran just fine.

Return to “Rifts®”