RIFTS Alaska and Russian Communities

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

RIFTS Alaska and Russian Communities

Unread post by Atroxadventurer »

There are small Russian communities in Alaska in RL.
Do you think this might mean there would be some Mystic Russia classes from up there, ie Mystics, etc.?

Side question, what do you have in Alaska in your game?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: RIFTS Alaska and Russian Communities

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly, many of the classes from mystic russia i could see existing just about anywhere in the world. russia would just have a higher number of them.

the different types of witches aren't really linked to any given culture, most parts of the world have similar concepts. (especially given how global media would have spread around many of them).
the Born mystic also fits a concept many cultures have versions of, so would be easily adaptable to other regions. (at most, it might have a different selection of magic.) the same goes for the Old Believer.

and thanks to immigration, the Romani (aka 'gypsies') can be found all over the world.. and it seems likely that similar nomadic cultures might spring up during the new dark age, which could easily use the same OCC's.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly, many of the classes from mystic russia i could see existing just about anywhere in the world. russia would just have a higher number of them.

the different types of witches aren't really linked to any given culture, most parts of the world have similar concepts. (especially given how global media would have spread around many of them).
the Born mystic also fits a concept many cultures have versions of, so would be easily adaptable to other regions. (at most, it might have a different selection of magic.) the same goes for the Old Believer.

and thanks to immigration, the Romani (aka 'gypsies') can be found all over the world.. and it seems likely that similar nomadic cultures might spring up during the new dark age, which could easily use the same OCC's.

This is true
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Yes and no. Like GB I believe the classes can spread from anywhere but I don't think the classes would have started there those communities as small as they are and as close to sea level as the majority of the group is (if your talking about the one near Homer, AK) but even if the tidal waves didn't make it into the inlet and the water didn't rise in my game an elemental war has covered most of AK in a thick glacier. In my game the natives only discovered the upper third of the submersible base and though they were able to turn it on and live their... for a while problems eventually turned it into a giant freezer and some chose to have their minds transferred into nanite hives. Two dorman A.I.s live in the bottom two thirds of the base wich house modular, transformable, transatmospheric, supercavitating fighters and four sister ships to the Ticonderoga. The Hairyman legend is twisted into a group of aliens that have lived in AK since before the dawn of man. The elemental war was caused by Elemental Lords. A group of natives live in an arcology, made for them by some of the elementals who wanted to protect their brothers, and use a new type of "magic" where the effects are created in game, on the fly. A large group of U.S. soldiers are in cryo storage inside Fortress JBEAR, which has automated defenses still working and is in an oddly warm area where there is no glacier. The base has some of its giant robots, fighters and other aircraft. There are elemental bears on Kodiak and a group of Tektonic entities that live in a Glitterboy manufacturing plant on Fort Wainwright. There are a few Kaiju sized "Skysharks" which live in the sky and although they are carnivores they are not predators as they do not hunt, basically they eat whatever they come across. I didn't do anything with the Iliamna lake monster. The Northern lights were the visible emissions of a rift in the sky as the particles pass through it are charged or changed in some way to become luminescent. In the past they were occasionally seen now they are constantly in the air. The point on both ends of the Rift are dimensionaly fixed, all aurora are rifts, borealis or australis the aurora over AK goes to the native "spirit land" while the aurora over Scandinavia is the Bifrost and goes to Asgard
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drazool
Wanderer

Unread post by drazool »

Atroxadventurer wrote:There are small Russian communities in Alaska in RL.
Do you think this might mean there would be some Mystic Russia classes from up there, ie Mystics, etc.?

Side question, what do you have in Alaska in your game?

I would say that there would be a reasonable amount of cultural interchange. The Beringia land bridge might even be present, although made of ice. I've developed a bit of homemade storyline for the Pacific Northwest. I'll summarize it here.

Alaska: Mostly depopulated. Something like 90% of Alaska's population lives within 50 miles of the Ocean, so tidal waves would have been horrific. In addition, the Rim of Fire is right there too, so you could expect a fairly significant amount of seismic and volcanic activity as well, especially during the cataclysm. However, due to some pre-rifts socioeconomic changes, not all is lost.

First, before the time of the rifts, the ice caps had melted, making the Arctic Ocean a hugely significant naval asset. The Scandinavian countries, Russia, Canada, Britain , and the US all having major naval presence in the far north. Due to this, Anchorage and Fairbanks both became much more significant. Anchorage is (today, in the real world) a major North American transshipment hub, and that trend would have continued. With climate change, all of Alaska became a lot more hospitable, and in the 100 years before the time of rifts, Alaska experienced a major population boom.

Several decades before the time of rifts, however, a massive earthquake struck Anchorage, almost a century to the day after the last "Big One". Most of the city was devastated, and tidal waves caused extensive damage to several communities in Southeast Alaska. To combat the threat of earthquakes and especially tidal waves, Anchorage, and the remaining communities in southeast, turned to Arcology type designs. The mounted their cities on giant magnetic levitation systems, and constructed huge, megadamage walls to protect their cities from the increasingly chaotic oceans.

When the cataclysm came, Anchorage was nuked to the stone age and beyond. All that remains of that city are some ruins on the outskirts, and a crater that literally glows in the dark with radiation.

Most communities were simply washed out to sea, but a few survived. Existing cities include Kodiak, Juneau, Sitka, and Fairbanks. Fairbanks is a domed city, but the dome is completely covered in snow and ice. They are a 'bottle city', for the most part cut off from the outside world. Juneau, Sitka and Kodiak are all made from a similar mold: arcology surrounded by high walls.

These cities would have a mix of high tech and magic. Juneau is probably the most adventurer friendly city. The towns of Alaska trade extensively with Vancouver, British Columbia, and in fact share a defensive pact with that city.

That's my writeup for these areas, nothing canon at all, but that's how I've set those areas up for my game. My players will be traveling to this region to investigate reports of a high-tech society. Once there they will find a kind of mashup of Pacific Rim and Attack on Titan. Essentially, some time after the time of Rifts, Kaiju started coming in from the ocean. Juneau and Sitka, having the edge on heavy industry, combat these threats with giant robots. Vancouver, having the edge in high-tech, as well as more popularity, instead use squads of troops in specialty power armors, who scale the monsters and kill them from up close. I haven't quite figured out what the plot will be, but I think it will be something to do with an underwater threat, which will cause the Lemurians or the New Navy to get involved, though I haven't decided who.

I hope this helps!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

In canon there's a Native American enclave in a pre-Rifts military base/submarine bunker....I can't remember if it was in mainland Alaska or the Aleutians.
Beyond that, I have a fringe tribe of EShemarrians wandering around the far north, and new migration patterns of rift-seeded wildlife wandering around.
I also have a Glitterboy(?) of Legend wandering about calling down aurora-fire on anybody it runs into.

Wouldn't be surprised if a number of Russian 'borgs and a smaller warband or two also made it over.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

Thanks all, a lot of really good ideas to think about.

I pondered having a Millennium Tree inhabited by Norse High Elves in Southeast(in a magic zone of Summer-like warmth), and some Norse Dwarf mountain cities in mountains, but that it so far.

I really like the question about the land bridge.

On a side note, I think it would be super cool to have a mini/new Wolfen, but Russian speaking nation in Siberia.
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

Just re-read a section of RIFTS Canada, looks like some Russian Demons came over as well.

A couple of those Inuit Shaman Talismans would be great for crossing ocean, swim fast, immune to cold, hold breathe, etc, 'cept fer the occasional sea monster.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Atroxadventurer wrote:Thanks all, a lot of really good ideas to think about.

I pondered having a Millennium Tree inhabited by Norse High Elves in Southeast(in a magic zone of Summer-like warmth), and some Norse Dwarf mountain cities in mountains, but that it so far.

the problem with millennium trees is that we have been told there are none in the America's. (WB6, pg59, under the Memory Trees/Trees of Wisdom entry. where those grow, millennium trees do not, and vice versa.)

and i'm pretty sure that Dwarves would be their own culture, not Norse. :P

taalismn wrote:In canon there's a Native American enclave in a pre-Rifts military base/submarine bunker....I can't remember if it was in mainland Alaska or the Aleutians.

Fort Alaska (WB15, pg208, #15 under the Notable Preserves.)
it is a Pre-rifts 'submersible city' Military Base taken over by Inuit.. but it is stuck in ice (intentionally), suggesting it is actually located somewhere in the Bering, Chukchi, or Beaufort sea, where the Arctic ice pack is.
presumably the base was meant to fill a role comparable to the Camp Century [Video, Video 2] of Project Ice Worm in 1960.. an early warning (and potentially nuclear armed response) base. only instead of trying to carve the base out of the ice itself (which proved very problematic), they instead built a semi-mobile facility and parked it in place (probably via just surfacing through the ice)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

glitterboy2098 wrote:

the problem with millennium trees is that we have been told there are none in the America's. (WB6, pg59, under the Memory Trees/Trees of Wisdom entry. where those grow, millennium trees do not, and vice versa.)

taalismn wrote:In canon there's a Native American enclave in a pre-Rifts military base/submarine bunker....I can't remember if it was in mainland Alaska or the Aleutians.

it is a Pre-rifts 'submersible city' Military Base taken over by Inuit.. but it is stuck in ice (intentionally), suggesting it is actually located somewhere in the Bering, Chukchi, or Beaufort sea, where the Arctic ice pack is.
presumably the base was meant to fill a role comparable to the Camp Century [Video, Video 2] of Project Ice Worm in 1960.. an early warning (and potentially nuclear armed response) base. only instead of trying to carve the base out of the ice itself (which proved very problematic), they instead built a semi-mobile facility and parked it in place (probably via just surfacing through the ice)

Meant Asgardian Dwarfs lol
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:[

Oh cool 8) ...gotta use that for Ice Guard!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

when you find pictures of the base, it always reminded me of Hoth from star wars. then i found this video of norwegian F-16's flying low over Greenland.. real easy to imagine they're actually in some T-47's trying to figure out where Luke and Han went to..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzCsQsmipq0

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:

They don't grow within a 1000 miles of each other. That leaves plenty of room for Millenium Trees in the far north (and even the not so far north).
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:when you find pictures of the base, it always reminded me of Hoth from star wars. then i found this video of norwegian F-16's flying low over Greenland.. real easy to imagine they're actually in some T-47's trying to figure out where Luke and Han went to..

And with polar bears filling in for Woompa snowbeasts. 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

taalismn wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:when you find pictures of the base, it always reminded me of Hoth from star wars. then i found this video of norwegian F-16's flying low over Greenland.. real easy to imagine they're actually in some T-47's trying to figure out where Luke and Han went to..

And with polar bears filling in for Woompa snowbeasts. 8)

Or Demon Wendigo Bears lol
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I would imagine other than inuit not many original survivors or surviving settlements. Alaska is very tectonically active even today and with the sea level rise/tsunamis/volcanos blowing pretty much all the major stuff along the coast line would be totally wiped off the map. The interior was already pretty sparsely populated as it is so not sure how much of those would survive. On the plus side though for what survivors there were the inuit getting their mojo back and the distance between any major area could have kept some safe just through total obscurity other than dangerous wildlife attacks.
drazool
Wanderer

Unread post by drazool »

kaid wrote:I would imagine other than inuit not many original survivors or surviving settlements. Alaska is very tectonically active even today and with the sea level rise/tsunamis/volcanos blowing pretty much all the major stuff along the coast line would be totally wiped off the map. The interior was already pretty sparsely populated as it is so not sure how much of those would survive. On the plus side though for what survivors there were the inuit getting their mojo back and the distance between any major area could have kept some safe just through total obscurity other than dangerous wildlife attacks.

City of Fairbanks is pretty centrally located, and has a population of about 30,000, there would probably be some remnants there.

Anchorage was (re)built with some early earthquake resistant construction techniques. Although the community is coastal, there would be a lot of people in the Matanuska Valley region, which basically spans from Girdwood, Alaska to Palmer, Alaska who would survive, but there's the question of how hard the area would be hit in the wars, since there's an AFB in the area. The Aleutian and Alexander Archipelagos would be pretty devastatingly hit, and the vast majority of the populations of those areas are withing 100' of sea level, in addition to being in seismically active areas. I have some communities surviving in my game, but that's largely for some local flavor, as I live in Juneau.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

drazool wrote:
kaid wrote:I would imagine other than inuit not many original survivors or surviving settlements. Alaska is very tectonically active even today and with the sea level rise/tsunamis/volcanos blowing pretty much all the major stuff along the coast line would be totally wiped off the map. The interior was already pretty sparsely populated as it is so not sure how much of those would survive. On the plus side though for what survivors there were the inuit getting their mojo back and the distance between any major area could have kept some safe just through total obscurity other than dangerous wildlife attacks.

City of Fairbanks is pretty centrally located, and has a population of about 30,000, there would probably be some remnants there.

Anchorage was (re)built with some early earthquake resistant construction techniques. Although the community is coastal, there would be a lot of people in the Matanuska Valley region, which basically spans from Girdwood, Alaska to Palmer, Alaska who would survive, but there's the question of how hard the area would be hit in the wars, since there's an AFB in the area. The Aleutian and Alexander Archipelagos would be pretty devastatingly hit, and the vast majority of the populations of those areas are withing 100' of sea level, in addition to being in seismically active areas. I have some communities surviving in my game, but that's largely for some local flavor, as I live in Juneau.

Anchorage is not coastal and tsunamis rarely ever get that far up the cook inlet never mind travel north up the Knik arm to go to Wasilla/Palmer or south down the Turnagain arm to go to Girdwood. Plus most of Anchorage is up on a 40 meter plateau starting around International Airport with low ends at Ship creek and Potter's marsh but most homes and businesses are well above sea level. Tsunami will go far inland if there is any slope but if it meets a wall and cant burst through they stop.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

drazool wrote:

Anchorage is not coastal and tsunamis rarely ever get that far up the cook inlet never mind travel north up the Knik arm to go to Wasilla/Palmer or south down the Turnagain arm to go to Girdwood. Plus most of Anchorage is up on a 40 meter plateau starting around International Airport with low ends at Ship creek and Potter's marsh but most homes and businesses are well above sea level. Tsunami will go far inland if there is any slope but if it meets a wall and cant burst through they stop.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Is that what at least an Earthquake a day would be called? That is an Elemental war!!! :D
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Given that the sea level changes pretty much ate half of florida and scoured nearly everything along the east coast up until the water hit the mountains I am dubious anchorage would have escaped the tsunami. Also given how tectonically active that area is that which is not hit by water likely got smothered by volcanos/or leveled by earthquakes or hit by all of the above at the same time. Alaska is already prone to some major geological events without a cataclysm tripping off. I am not sure how survivable anything other than the deep interior would have been.
taalismn
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:[

Is that what at least an Earthquake a day would be called? That is an Elemental war!!! :D

Ewwww....that would be mean to place in Alaska....kinda like Land of the Damned, only it's a NoMan's Land free-fire zone between Elemental beings....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Zer0 Kay wrote:
drazool wrote:

Anchorage is 102 feet above sea level.
sea level rose about 150-200ft, based on shoreline comparisons. so unless some odd geologic event occurred, like with Washington DC and New York, odds are Anchorage is under water in rifts.
and Inlets and fjords tend to channel tsunami's of the massive type seen during the cataclysm, rather than reduce them.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

kaid wrote:Given that the sea level changes pretty much ate half of florida and scoured nearly everything along the east coast up until the water hit the mountains I am dubious anchorage would have escaped the tsunami. Also given how tectonically active that area is that which is not hit by water likely got smothered by volcanos/or leveled by earthquakes or hit by all of the above at the same time. Alaska is already prone to some major geological events without a cataclysm tripping off. I am not sure how survivable anything other than the deep interior would have been.

Anchorage is not really on the coast. Its essentially quite far inland and has access to the ocean from a deep bay that twists and has land jutting into it. The Tsunami would be unlikely to make it that far, and while the coastal parts of Anchorage are near sea level, a great deal of the city is built on much higher ground (several hundred feet higher than the coastal areas at the least), and as was said earlier, most of the building there are now... well, not quake proof, as that isnt a thing, but very quake resistant.

Volcanoes, though... could be another story. Though to the best of my knowledge, the active volcanoes are all further north in the largely uninhabited areas.

The biggest thing preventing a lot of survivors in Alaska, to be honest, would be lack of food and supplies. They import almost everything they need, and there isnt local infrastructure to support that many people.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
kaid wrote:Given that the sea level changes pretty much ate half of florida and scoured nearly everything along the east coast up until the water hit the mountains I am dubious anchorage would have escaped the tsunami. Also given how tectonically active that area is that which is not hit by water likely got smothered by volcanos/or leveled by earthquakes or hit by all of the above at the same time. Alaska is already prone to some major geological events without a cataclysm tripping off. I am not sure how survivable anything other than the deep interior would have been.

Anchorage is not really on the coast. Its essentially quite far inland and has access to the ocean from a deep bay that twists and has land jutting into it. The Tsunami would be unlikely to make it that far, and while the coastal parts of Anchorage are near sea level, a great deal of the city is built on much higher ground (several hundred feet higher than the coastal areas at the least), and as was said earlier, most of the building there are now... well, not quake proof, as that isnt a thing, but very quake resistant.

Volcanoes, though... could be another story. Though to the best of my knowledge, the active volcanoes are all further north in the largely uninhabited areas.

The biggest thing preventing a lot of survivors in Alaska, to be honest, would be lack of food and supplies. They import almost everything they need, and there isnt local infrastructure to support that many people.

Extrapolate survivalist mentality plus golden age tech and I think that the food supply issue may not be as big of a problem (a problem, sure, buy a more surmountable one than it would appear at first glance) There were probably off-grid types with megadamage greenhouses on their homesteads and genetically engineered crops capable of being grown in short summers (or short cycles in said greenhouses for multiple harvests, especially combined with appropriate artificial lighting).

Given the practicality of most Alaskans, I imagine that magic users would at worst be judged on a case by case basis, and i can see technowizardry being embraced as well.

To me, the spirit of Alaskans will always be summed up by the business I saw up there that was both a Karate Dojo and a glass factory. I'm betting there would be plenty of survivors.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
drazool wrote:

Anchorage is 102 feet above sea level.
sea level rose about 150-200ft, based on shoreline comparisons. so unless some odd geologic event occurred, like with Washington DC and New York, odds are Anchorage is under water in rifts.
and Inlets and fjords tend to channel tsunami's of the massive type seen during the cataclysm, rather than reduce them.

DC? New York? Never mind Florida and all along the rest of the coast that should be underwater but isn't and the Vampires would find it difficult to travel south out of mexico as it is almost an archipelago and the Yucatan is almost gone. That being said 102 is the average more than half of JBER are over that mark (mostly everything North of the airfield past Airlifter drive, but even the airfield runs over the 150. Over a third of Anchorage is over 250 feet...

As for the Inlets and fjords channeling... every simulator I ran show that due to the position of Kodiak at the mouth of the inlet the BIG waves would die out before getting to Anchorage so unless the wave starts after Kodiak AND perpendicular to the fault lines Anchorage, Wasilla, Palmer, Girdwood, Portage would all be fine. The simulators also showed that the wave was more likely to travel more in a straight line than be diverted (very little of the wave adjusted away from the direction of travel and that which did died out quicker than the main wave.

According to studies by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the natural geographical boundaries of Cook Inlet protect Anchorage from a major tsunami. While the 1964 Good Friday Earthquake was the largest earthquake on record for the nation, it did not generate a tsunami in the Cook Inlet.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

Deep Bay??? Last I checked the Inlet is pretty shallow and when you see "land" almost all the way across the Turnagain Arm sometimes I wouldn't consider that "deep". They have to dredge from the port to where it gets deep enough in the cook inlet.

As for volcanoes we were scooping ash off our streets back in '92 when Mt. Spurr Errupted which is 70 miles east of Anchorage. Most of the active volcanoes in AK follow a fault line along the Aleutian chain with 8 along the cook Inlet (Listed closest to Anchorage first: Spurr, Hayes, Double Glacier, Redoubt, Iliamna, Augustine, Douglas and Fourpeaked)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:[

Ewwww....that would be mean to place in Alaska....kinda like Land of the Damned, only it's a NoMan's Land free-fire zone between Elemental beings....

I did... and I've been trying to write it into a book forever since I pitched it to KS in 2009... but I've only got about half a world book worth of material. :(

Return to “Rifts®”