What situations would be "Not so Safe" in rifts?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

What situations would be "Not so Safe" in rifts?

Unread post by Nightmartree »

This thread is just looking for some ideas of "normal" things that could suddenly put you in a not so safe position in rifts, the classic example is of course going to the bathroom (though possible i'm sure any player who get jumped in the restrooms by a Kittani Conservator are probably not calling their GM nice things)

Some starting idea:
Exploring the Attic, who knows whats in an old family home, maybe that painting great grandpa picked up years ago I really a trapped demon, or that bottle of river water contained an alien microbe that's turned into an ooze monster, and once you open it to look inside...
Fixing the pipes/electricity/air conditioning/vents all of these likely put you in a space that is confined, not good for armor and ever worse for MD weapons (grenades in a broom closet). Any small MD creature that players are used to swatting like flies now becomes a nightmare.
Going fishing, what if you catch more than a small bite to eat
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Re: What situations would be "Not so Safe" in rifts?

VaderLike wrote:Bathing in the wilderness would be terrifying.

:shock:
never considered it (which is why I made this thread)...but yes it would
Sohisohi
Explorer

Unread post by Sohisohi »

Praying in crowded church, there are mages amongst the converts mumbling spells.

Dealing with 200yo traps left behind during the cataclysm, just exploring an old township.

I know mimics are a thing in this setting via splicer, so that's everything.

Donating blood. . . in Texas. . .
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

going for a cruise down a lonely stretch of road
building a town in the middle of nowhere
talking about pre-rifts knowledge at a social gathering
discussing social beliefs in the cs or magic zone
going for a nature walk with no weapons
assuming the benevolence of strangers
trying the "special" at a new town
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Coming home from work... are you sure that is your spouse? They aren't possessed, or replaced, or the thrall of something?

Sunrise and Sunset aren't pretty if your worried about what monsters might show up given the surge.
Same with full moons, the solstices and equinoxes and other regular unavoidable days of power.

Loosing your temper and swearing...
<_<
>_>
Uh oh, did you just attract the wrong attention? After all in this world words and names have power.

Inviting someone over... we do it all the time with out thinking... but here? Are you sure of who, or what you are giving permission to cross the threshold?

Asking the pretty girl or handsome boy out on a date...

In Rifts you are basically living in a horror movie 24/7. You never know when your going to move from 'setting the scene' to 'victim de jure'
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmartree
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:In Rifts you are basically living in a horror movie 24/7. You never know when your going to move from 'setting the scene' to 'victim de jure'

Exactly and how many everyday things do we take for granted or just don't think about that could be life altering in rifts?

eliakon wrote:Loosing your temper and swearing...
<_<
>_>
Uh oh, did you just attract the wrong attention? After all in this world words and names have power.

Like this! i mean can you imagine the look on your players face when they're character say "censored" and SOMETHING RESPONDS IN THEIR HEAD? well... some people won't care, but its a way of showing that they aren't in kansas anymore toto, which brings up the question why there is a yellow and bloodstained road to follow with a tin man (power armor), a scarecrow (alive well and evil), and a cowardly lion (complete with human head and MDC), and why your rogue dog boy scout chose the name toto (also what was he doing in kansas?)

i'm giddy over this thread
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:In Rifts you are basically living in a horror movie 24/7.

Eh.
Only to the extent that GMs want to run it that way.
Depending on where and how you live, you could go decades without anything really eventful happening.
Or you might be eaten by a demon while still in the womb.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Walking into your garage in the dark...tectonic entities powering up your machinery and going after you.
Clearing your land or even mowing your lawn...might arouse the ire of some nature being or faerie folk.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Eh.
Depending on where and how you live, you could go decades without anything really eventful happening.

That is why I said the second part.
Context matters after all.
The first person is one of the 'setting cast' the first person... well they got to be the other kind of setting I suppose.
But yes it basically is exactly like a horror/thriller movie. Its all totally normal and fine... right up until its not (when ever that is, and never is one of those options).
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmartree
Adventurer

eliakon wrote: Its all totally normal and fine... right up until its not (when ever that is, and never is one of those options).

...i'm now picturing one of those situations were a person just has a "normal day" go to get coffee, aliens drinking in the corner, walking home a stray dog gets grabbed by a shadow and vanishes with a yelp, drinks a beer, as his furniture all levitates around him, mows the lawn, as meteors fall onto his neighborhood.

One man, one life, one normal day, the sheer apathy just rolls off of the modern working man
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

Most people aren't supposed to have MD weapons or armor, and somehow they're managing to live long enough to reproduce. I figure most villages are in relatively safe locations (safe-ish), and people probably breed like rabbits to maintain their population. Your average girl in town is probably popping out kids when she's 15 or 16. Having a dozen children would be normal, because there's a pretty high mortality rate.

I've heard stories about when my grandpa was young, he grew up a sharecropper in a house with a dirt floor (it was the 1920s). He had a bunch of brothers and sisters who never even got named because they died when they were a couple of weeks old. In Rifts they'd have more advanced medical care, but you're also more likely to get killed by a monster, so it makes sense to maintain the high birth rate. I think you'd have a lot of "Joe went to town and never came back". But most of the time when you see a mega damage monster, you run and hide. The things may be horrifically dangerous, but they fail perception checks too.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Town & city sanitation workers get triple hazard pay just cuz..well, the LEAST dangerous things you'll find are the rodents of unusual size. It gets worse from there.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
drazool
Wanderer

Unread post by drazool »

Eagle wrote:Most people aren't supposed to have MD weapons or armor, and somehow they're managing to live long enough to reproduce. I figure most villages are in relatively safe locations (safe-ish), and people probably breed like rabbits to maintain their population. Your average girl in town is probably popping out kids when she's 15 or 16. Having a dozen children would be normal, because there's a pretty high mortality rate.

I've heard stories about when my grandpa was young, he grew up a sharecropper in a house with a dirt floor (it was the 1920s). He had a bunch of brothers and sisters who never even got named because they died when they were a couple of weeks old. In Rifts they'd have more advanced medical care, but you're also more likely to get killed by a monster, so it makes sense to maintain the high birth rate. I think you'd have a lot of "Joe went to town and never came back". But most of the time when you see a mega damage monster, you run and hide. The things may be horrifically dangerous, but they fail perception checks too.

Well, this, but there's also the fact that if you have a town of 100 people, and they can field, say, 50 people with some kind of megadamage weapon, that's a lot of damage. Assuming 2d6 MD weapons, and a 75% hit rate, they should be dealing something like 250 megadamage per attack, as a group. While you could massage these numbers up and down, you're not likely to encounter too many critters that would be able to stand up to that kind of attack.

I think hundreds of years later, natural selection would determine that a) all of the humans that survive to adulthood are at least able to shoot a gun, and b) most critters would know to avoid groups of humans. Individuals or very small groups would be vulnerable, but groups larger would be a different story.

Add to this the fact that even some individual or small group travelers are terrifying creatures in their own right, and I think the outlook is pretty good for people who are near civilization.

Add to this the availability of hover vehicles, and the relative prevalence of hover-cycles, even small groups of fast moving individuals would be able to get from town to town relatively easily.

Most towns would have cleared the forest for 1000 - 2000 feet from their walls/gatehouses/guard towers, whatever, and maybe farther, depending on what weapons they have available, and would be able to shoot out that far. Nightvision and thermal vision modes are relatively common. I think your average towns person is relatively safe.

Further, while the books don't say so, I would expect that cellular technology is widespread. A single cell tower is relatively easy to set up, covers a radius of about 7 miles, and can be linked to other towers via microwave links. There's basically no chance that some organization wouldn't try to scavenge that tech, and set up a network.

In my rifts world, any town of 100 people or so has cell service, internet, and a basic, functioning militia. Any town of 1000-2000 people have a small group of dedicated security, at least a couple of power armors, as well as a militia. Larger towns might have other security features as well, such as walls, automated defenses, and mutual defense agreements with communities nearby.

Finally, I think few communities outside of the coalition would be willing to totally forsake magic. A single magic user, with the right selection of spells, would be able to vastly bolster the defensive capabilities of any community of which they were a part.

I would envision the world as being basically a desert of savagery, with towns and villages being little oases of safety and civilization.

That's just my interpretation, of course.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Eh.

But this is also the situation that keeps the CS going. If you are some random human what would it be worth to you and what would you give up to live in a fortress city that is heavily guarded both by mundane and psychic defenders. Where you can go about your daily life only really having to worry about mundane normal everyday issues and less things like yup bob got eaten by a demon wolf one farm from you last night type issues.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

kaid wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Eh.

But this is also the situation that keeps the CS going. If you are some random human what would it be worth to you and what would you give up to live in a fortress city that is heavily guarded both by mundane and psychic defenders. Where you can go about your daily life only really having to worry about mundane normal everyday issues and less things like yup bob got eaten by a demon wolf one farm from you last night type issues.

And its not every night that a horror from the beyond comes out of your plumbing, but it only needs to happen once
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:Town & city sanitation workers get triple hazard pay just cuz..well, the LEAST dangerous things you'll find are the rodents of unusual size. It gets worse from there.

"Hi, I'm a Burster with the Municipal Waste Management Commission. Yeah, I'm a $#!+burner, but the pay's good and it stipulates in my contract that I or my family can't be discriminated against because I'm in the garbage business. Just as well, because my partner at work is a retired mercenary biowarfare hazmat warrior, and he knows PLENTY of ways to ruin a community's day if somebody ####es him off."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

taalismn wrote:Walking into your garage in the dark...tectonic entities powering up your machinery and going after you.

Tectonic Entities are least qualify as supernatural evil, which should rouse local wildlife.

I'm more afraid of Poltergeists. They're merely anarchist so they wouldn't alert your dog, and they're far more plentiful than tectonic entities, they travel in groups...

If malicious intent were a factor for anything besides Invisibility Superior, they skirt that because they are just "joking" and accidentally killing you by throwing knives at your face or dropping branches on your head. These are not actually aggressive actions for them, they are pranks.
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

drazool wrote:
Eagle wrote:Most people aren't supposed to have MD weapons or armor, and somehow they're managing to live long enough to reproduce. I figure most villages are in relatively safe locations (safe-ish), and people probably breed like rabbits to maintain their population. Your average girl in town is probably popping out kids when she's 15 or 16. Having a dozen children would be normal, because there's a pretty high mortality rate.

Well, this, but there's also the fact that if you have a town of 100 people, and they can field, say, 50 people with some kind of megadamage weapon, that's a lot of damage. Assuming 2d6 MD weapons, and a 75% hit rate, they should be dealing something like 250 megadamage per attack, as a group. While you could massage these numbers up and down, you're not likely to encounter too many critters that would be able to stand up to that kind of attack.

I think hundreds of years later, natural selection would determine that a) all of the humans that survive to adulthood are at least able to shoot a gun, and b) most critters would know to avoid groups of humans. Individuals or very small groups would be vulnerable, but groups larger would be a different story.

Add to this the fact that even some individual or small group travelers are terrifying creatures in their own right, and I think the outlook is pretty good for people who are near civilization.

Add to this the availability of hover vehicles, and the relative prevalence of hover-cycles, even small groups of fast moving individuals would be able to get from town to town relatively easily.

Most towns would have cleared the forest for 1000 - 2000 feet from their walls/gatehouses/guard towers, whatever, and maybe farther, depending on what weapons they have available, and would be able to shoot out that far. Nightvision and thermal vision modes are relatively common. I think your average towns person is relatively safe.

Further, while the books don't say so, I would expect that cellular technology is widespread. A single cell tower is relatively easy to set up, covers a radius of about 7 miles, and can be linked to other towers via microwave links. There's basically no chance that some organization wouldn't try to scavenge that tech, and set up a network.

In my rifts world, any town of 100 people or so has cell service, internet, and a basic, functioning militia. Any town of 1000-2000 people have a small group of dedicated security, at least a couple of power armors, as well as a militia. Larger towns might have other security features as well, such as walls, automated defenses, and mutual defense agreements with communities nearby.

Finally, I think few communities outside of the coalition would be willing to totally forsake magic. A single magic user, with the right selection of spells, would be able to vastly bolster the defensive capabilities of any community of which they were a part.

I would envision the world as being basically a desert of savagery, with towns and villages being little oases of safety and civilization.

That's just my interpretation, of course.

Honestly, never thought of that way before. In our games settlements of less than 1,000 people live much like the 1930s or earlier. Towns of more than 1000 may or may not have a radio tower which would allow some type of communication. (probably not cell phones as we know them because modern cell phones are fragile and the world of rifts is rough) We never had internet because the world of rifts we play half of humans and d-bees are illiterate, and have no communication with the rest of the world. Some of the more advanced towns have a digital database of the towns acquired knowledge, which is just the info they were able to learn. In most towns every citizen has a weapon, mostly sdc. They may have a militia which is composed mostly of the citizens and the town may have walls. In our games only cities have all the things you describe. To compare, imagine the very few cities that exist are safe havens, and the towns are places to resupply, and sleep that are not safe but if the town is attacked the sleeping character gets an advanced warning unlike sleeping in the woods.
Last edited by Thom001 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

drazool wrote:

Sure... but good luck finding a town with 100 people where half of them have mega-damage weapons.
2d6 of them is more likely.

In order for natural selection to kick in on that level, predation would have to be a leading cause of death.
But it doesn't seem to be.

Further, while the books don't say so, I would expect that cellular technology is widespread. A single cell tower is relatively easy to set up,

"Easy to set up" depends on what you start with.
It's not something your average blacksmith can do, nor your average 1900s electrician.
So it depends heavily on how much your area got knocked back, how much you've recovered, and so forth.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Town & city sanitation workers get triple hazard pay just cuz..well, the LEAST dangerous things you'll find are the rodents of unusual size. It gets worse from there.

"Hi, I'm a Burster with the Municipal Waste Management Commission. Yeah, I'm a $#!+burner, but the pay's good and it stipulates in my contract that I or my family can't be discriminated against because I'm in the garbage business. Just as well, because my partner at work is a retired mercenary biowarfare hazmat warrior, and he knows PLENTY of ways to ruin a community's day if somebody ####es him off."

taalismn...I love you

in a can I borrow you for causing chaos kinda way...god I have to go MAKE a mercenary biowarfare hazmat warrior garbage man now. "this is a crack team of the best warriors in the city" "where were you trained?" "the local waste treatment plant" "welcome aboard sir"
taalismn
Priest

Nightmartree wrote:[

in a can I borrow you for causing chaos kinda way...god I have to go MAKE a mercenary biowarfare hazmat warrior garbage man now. "this is a crack team of the best warriors in the city" "where were you trained?" "the local waste treatment plant" "welcome aboard sir"

"Abdullah's the best hand you'll ever find with a landfill bulldozer---man's got a second sight for spotting sinkholes under the garbage, gas pockets ready to blow, and unexploded ordnance tossed in the trash. Man can make a tread-crawler spin like a ballerina. Mitchie...she's our chemist; ain't a stain in the land she can't figure out how to lift, and she can concoct a flamethrower fuel that will burn cleaner and hotter than near anything you can imagine. Dwight...Dwight picks up things and throws them. Doesn't sound too bright, maybe, but he throws HEAVY things....like buses and concrete blocks."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

taalismn wrote:

"Abdullah's the best hand you'll ever find with a landfill bulldozer---man's got a second sight for spotting sinkholes under the garbage, gas pockets ready to blow, and unexploded ordnance tossed in the trash. Man can make a tread-crawler spin like a ballerina. Mitchie...she's our chemist; ain't a stain in the land she can't figure out how to lift, and she can concoct a flamethrower fuel that will burn cleaner and hotter than near anything you can imagine. Dwight...Dwight picks up things and throws them. Doesn't sound too bright, maybe, but he throws HEAVY things....like buses and concrete blocks."

Yep, these people are going in my "NPCs for Color (and possible use)" book, no doubt about it. :bandit:

taalismn
Priest

eliakon wrote:[
Yep, these people are going in my "NPCs for Color (and possible use)" book, no doubt about it. :bandit:

Glad I could help fill out your character book. Inspiration strikes from the oddest places, I find.
"Dwight, put the manhole cover back. I'm pretty sure the folks in this town don't appreciate strangers taking souvenirs."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Glad I could help fill out your character book. Inspiration strikes from the oddest places, I find.
"Dwight, put the manhole cover back. I'm pretty sure the folks in this town don't appreciate strangers taking souvenirs."

"but it saved my life! besides its not like they'd be able to take care of it after Luway put a tectonic entity in it, and plated it in MD armor, and grafted on a laser rifle...poor Luway nobody really gets his art"

I think I'm derailing my own thread...but the making of the normal not was what I was looking for when I started this...
taalismn
Priest

Nightmartree wrote:
taalismn wrote:Glad I could help fill out your character book. Inspiration strikes from the oddest places, I find.

"but it saved my life! besides its not like they'd be able to take care of it after Luway put a tectonic entity in it, and plated it in MD armor, and grafted on a laser rifle...poor Luway nobody really gets his art"

I think I'm derailing my own thread...but the making of the normal not was what I was looking for when I started this...

Well, pulling PRANKS takes on a whole new level of risk with hair-triggers and heavy weapons commonplace.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:

Well, pulling PRANKS takes on a whole new level of risk with hair-triggers and heavy weapons commonplace.

...borg with PTSD, surprise a juice, treat a crazie with kid gloves, all potentially bad ideas...and that's just the humans, I do NOT wanna be the guy who put a firecracker in a splugorths drink...but I could totally see a god of mischief doing that
taalismn
Priest

...borg with PTSD, surprise a juice, treat a crazie with kid gloves, all potentially bad ideas...and that's just the humans, I do NOT wanna be the guy who put a firecracker in a splugorths drink...but I could totally see a god of mischief doing that

That's why the SMART gods of mischief set up an immediate patsy when pulling a prank...some luckless schlub who happens to be apparently the ONLY one who could have pulled the prank and thus is going to get punched in the nadgers for it.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:

That's why the SMART gods of mischief set up an immediate patsy when pulling a prank...some luckless schlub who happens to be apparently the ONLY one who could have pulled the prank and thus is going to get punched in the nadgers for it.

Eh i'd rather own up to it in case a random innocent slave gets the blame, i'm alright with an evil bastard getting hit but not a random guy. Besides as a god you can take your hit and keep on ticking, plus have you ever seen a alien intelligence come through a dimensional portal and get hit with glue, glitter and airhorns? this terror from the beyond covered in glitter and sparkling colors airhorns blasting at him

and if he's a loser the airhorns are giant ones that do sonic damage and the glitter is my special blend (combusts into a terrifyingly hot temp when ignited) followed up probably by a pie with a nuke in it... :D i'm smiling just thinking about it, and i can't stop
taalismn
Priest

Eh i'd rather own up to it in case a random innocent slave gets the blame, i'm alright with an evil bastard getting hit but not a random guy. Besides as a god you can take your hit and keep on ticking, plus have you ever seen a alien intelligence come through a dimensional portal and get hit with glue, glitter and airhorns? this terror from the beyond covered in glitter and sparkling colors airhorns blasting at him

and if he's a loser the airhorns are giant ones that do sonic damage and the glitter is my special blend (combusts into a terrifyingly hot temp when ignited) followed up probably by a pie with a nuke in it... :D i'm smiling just thinking about it, and i can't stop

Depends on the alignment of the god...While the best pranksters are of the 'teaching' type(True Cyote, Raven, Q), there's quite a few who I'd consider to be Anarchist, which translates as 'free to be bastards you want to kill, but not evil enough to justify murdering them'. Backsmack's more towards this type, with a strong element of 'Ooops, didn't mean to maim you. Bad timing and all. ya'know.".

Okay...'calling on gods', or 'teasing gods', or 'daring the gods to come get you'....Bad mojo on Rifts Earth.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmartree
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Okay...'calling on gods', or 'teasing gods', or 'daring the gods to come get you'....Bad mojo on Rifts Earth.

even if the gods don't hear and take notice (of which you only need 1 divine worshiper nearby for a god to catch word, if they're paying attention to their followers that day) then other things may hear you

you know...there is a lot of things that can totally be listening in on rifts earth, eavsdroppers everywhere
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

taalismn wrote:

I have to find a way to get these guys in a campaign somewhere.
taalismn
Priest

Nightmartree wrote:
taalismn wrote:Okay...'calling on gods', or 'teasing gods', or 'daring the gods to come get you'....Bad mojo on Rifts Earth.

even if the gods don't hear and take notice (of which you only need 1 divine worshiper nearby for a god to catch word, if they're paying attention to their followers that day) then other things may hear you

you know...there is a lot of things that can totally be listening in on rifts earth, eavsdroppers everywhere

Dumbass: "COME DOWN AND FIGHT ME LIKE A MAN!"
Loki: (teleporting in behind Dumbass and rune-swording him through the kidneys) "Okay."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer
Comment: War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Unread post by TeeAychEeMarchHare »

Um...pretty much everything besides "being Emperor Prosek"?

I mean, when supernatural critters or other assorted beasties can get into CS fortress cities and eat people, there's really not a thing or a place that's 'safe'.
Too much ammo is a self-correcting problem.
taalismn
Priest

Just taking out your garbage.....you never know what's waiting to take your trash away from you...or might consider you to be garnish on the side.

Related: feeding wilderness animals. Depending on what you're using, that can garner bad attention...especially if you're using chum on water to attract fish.
Or maybe you inadvertently attract the attention of the faerie folk, who just happen to like those sunflower seeds you're scattering....ever get mugged for birdseed?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

taalismn wrote:Just taking out your garbage.....you never know what's waiting to take your trash away from you...or might consider you to be garnish on the side.

Related: feeding wilderness animals. Depending on what you're using, that can garner bad attention...especially if you're using chum on water to attract fish.
Or maybe you inadvertently attract the attention of the faerie folk, who just happen to like those sunflower seeds you're scattering....ever get mugged for birdseed?

Or tripping while throwing out the trash and ending up in the Junk dimension due to a random rift.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
taalismn
Priest

dreicunan wrote:[
Or tripping while throwing out the trash and ending up in the Junk dimension due to a random rift.

Having an argument with your spouse and having them PUSH you into the dimensional garbage disposal...provided that they just don't vaporize you with a megadamage weapon, or if they're a mindmelter, killing you with their mind.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly most of these are based on highly subjective aspects of the setting.

but i can think of one that applies no matter how you interpret the setting.

meeting a stranger while traveling away from a community. travelling away from a community is rare enough to begin with for most areas, and if you meet someone you don't know, there is a lot of potential danger there, even if the person is what they look to be. you'll not be able to determine alignment in most cases, and they could have Magic, Psi, or other Powers, might be a spy for bandits, or a serial killer, or any sort of potential danger that can pose as an innocent. when you add in things like shapechanging, mindcontrol, etc, it just gets even worse.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly most of these are based on highly subjective aspects of the setting.

but i can think of one that applies no matter how you interpret the setting.

meeting a stranger while traveling away from a community. travelling away from a community is rare enough to begin with for most areas, and if you meet someone you don't know, there is a lot of potential danger there, even if the person is what they look to be. you'll not be able to determine alignment in most cases, and they could have Magic, Psi, or other Powers, might be a spy for bandits, or a serial killer, or any sort of potential danger that can pose as an innocent. when you add in things like shapechanging, mindcontrol, etc, it just gets even worse.

It's like the old Robin Williams' joke about modern sex: "(sssstttt*sssstttt)(muffled voice)Honey, I'm in the airlock."

"Please remain at a safe distance from us and be patient while we scan you with See Aura, Sense Magic, Sense Psionics, your magnetic field, your IR/UV profile, and we biopsy you via retrieval dart to check your DNA. Any move on your part or suspicion of you messing with us and we will burn you where you stand."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Axelmania
Knight

Anyone seen any MDC bath tubs?

How would plumbing situations look on mobile homes like Behemoth explorers? Could you store enough water to shower or bath? Maybe connect a hose to a nearby river to pump some in and out?

taalismn wrote:It's like the old Robin Williams' joke
"I'm in the airlock."

That quote has some fridge horror now.
taalismn
Priest

Axelmania wrote:Anyone seen any MDC bath tubs?

How would plumbing situations look on mobile homes like Behemoth explorers? Could you store enough water to shower or bath? Maybe connect a hose to a nearby river to pump some in and out?.

Well, I DID design and post an armored outhouse with life support and methane-powered emergency ejection seat options...
Maybe I should add high-tech high-survival bathtubs to the Paladin Steel lineup? I've done killer soda machines, robot sofas, magic MDC security blankets, killer bunny slippers, MDC fishing waders-

The proliferation of supersolar power systems comes to mind for shower and bath systems, and there's likely a lot of filtration systems for purifying water. There's also the TW option of using various spells to gather up water(the Ludicrous Mage spell for Water Dump is a natural for quick showers).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Axelmania
Knight

MDC bathing and MDC evacuation seem like important concepts for wilderness survival.

We don't really need MDC blankets, if you live in a robot you can sleep there and use normal SDC blankets.

But most robots I know of don't have things like toilets built in. I think I recall the Glitter Boy had a urine evacuation system? But we need something full service with water here.

Maybe not a full running shower / bath or anything (but a Behemoth is big enough!) but enough that you don't have to leave your MDC protection when bladder is full, or when large intestine is full, or to clean up properly.
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

Axelmania wrote:MDC bathing and MDC evacuation seem like important concepts for wilderness survival.

We don't really need MDC blankets, if you live in a robot you can sleep there and use normal SDC blankets.

But most robots I know of don't have things like toilets built in. I think I recall the Glitter Boy had a urine evacuation system? But we need something full service with water here.

Maybe not a full running shower / bath or anything (but a Behemoth is big enough!) but enough that you don't have to leave your MDC protection when bladder is full, or when large intestine is full, or to clean up properly.

I don't think Rifts is supposed to be that dangerous. Monsters normally aren't lurking outside thinking "he's gotta take a dump sometime..."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Parking Wars takes on a whole new meaning in the Rifts World.

Fire Fighters and Paramedics would also be more interesting.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
taalismn
Priest

Eagle wrote:[

I don't think Rifts is supposed to be that dangerous. Monsters normally aren't lurking outside thinking "he's gotta take a dump sometime..."

So it's the abnormal ones who will get you? Only takes the one you don't expect....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Axelmania
Knight

Eagle wrote:I don't think Rifts is supposed to be that dangerous. Monsters normally aren't lurking outside thinking "he's gotta take a dump sometime..."

They don't necessarily know a squishy will emerge from the scary giant to take a dump, but if they are monitoring the scary giant from the bushes and then notice the squishy emerge and the scary giant is asleep, it's feeding time.
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

People ln Africa live in close proximity to crocodiles, lions, and other lethal predators. And yes, some people get killed. But the populations of those areas aren't in critical danger. Those animals aren't mega-damage, but they might as well be to an unarmed human.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Situations not so safe in Rifts?

Using Gold as "money", can never tell if the spell "Fool's Gold" is in place or not. So you could have just traded away how much in credits worth of hardware/services for a lump of useless material that you thought was gold.

SDC Guns are potentially a lot more lethal than game stats suggest with the right ammunition selection. Put some Ramjet Rounds (or the weaker Exploding bullets) in one of those weapons and it become a lot more powerful against soft targets (could seriously injure a Juicer or Crazy, never mind the more likely lower values for most M@A or non-combat classes). And that is in single fire mode, never mind bursts which push the weapons in MD territory (a Juicer or Crazy might even survive one of these bursts with a series of lucky rolls). Less likely is something like a Psi-Slinger powering up their rounds in the gun.

Lying and/or having "bad" thoughts about someone. Never know if someone is a telepath and is scanning you.
slade2501
Explorer
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

A great one is equipment failure. Stuff that is "supposed" to work suddenly breaking down. Radio failure. Engine quitting. poor air circulation. bad radiation shielding. coolant leak. dead batteries. exploding weapons. knives or swords that snap or break. shattering glass. gas leaks. fuel drips. spoiled food. contaminated water. poisoned air. flat tires. broken transmission. broken robot legs. jammed jets. FOD (foreign object damage). mislabeled supplies (wrong size, type. etc).
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Eagle wrote:I don't think Rifts is supposed to be that dangerous. Monsters normally aren't lurking outside thinking "he's gotta take a dump sometime..."

who said it was the monsters waiting....

I can totally see a pc doing this to hijack something they shouldn't. Heck I've made the pc who would...
taalismn
Priest

Nightmartree wrote:

who said it was the monsters waiting....

I can totally see a pc doing this to hijack something they shouldn't. Heck I've made the pc who would...

Imdeed....why fight your way to something you want(and maybe damage it in the fight) when you can take advantage of natural process and swipe the goods(okay, for some people, offing the other guy is a necessary part of covering up the theft)?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”