The Dodging Gunfire Rules

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you use the -10 to dodge gunfire rule, and its attached rules?

Yes, exactly as written.
23%
Yes, but not exactly as written.
No votes
No, but some variation making gunfire harder to dodge.
8%
No, not at all. Dodging is dodging.
62%
Other. (feel free to explain).
8%

Total votes: 13

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

The Dodging Gunfire Rules

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

See the poll below.

If there is an obvious option here that i missed, let me know and ill try to edit it in.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: The Dodging Gunfire Rules

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I said other because I both have and havent at times. When I do I tend to use the RUE version where distance is a factor as well (page 361 for reference). The -10 is only within 10 feet (referred to as point blank range). It is -5 between 10 and 50 feet away, and no dodge penalties if outside 50 feet.

However if close enough I will allow a parry without the -10 penalty (as it is explicitly a dodge penalty, not a defence penalty), and that represents the ability to knock the barrel of the weapon or the hand of the shooter away causing them to miss as opposed to dodging.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

I do not use it. Generally, it is too easy to hit someone with a ranged attack in Rifts. People are way more accurate in the game than they are in real life. I always felt that this was countered by it being relatively easy to dodge. This gives the game a cinematic flavor and doesn't unduly penalize the guy who loses initiative. Giving the dodge guy a -10 just makes ranged combat way more lethal than it should be.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I use a variation.
I sort of reverse things in some ways and keep them the same in others.
In close combat you can parry, this is represented by messing up the aim by striking the gun or arm or such.
Also your in close combat then its a lot easier to dodge a single shot as it is much easier to determine where it is aimed at.
However, in close combat bursts and sprays are much harder to dodge as they are easier to move to adjust to your movement.

As the range increases it becomes harder and harder to dodge single shots as you are less and less sure of where the person is aiming at. This is offset if you are the only combatant as you know that they are aiming at YOU.
Again though bursts and sprays go the opposite. It is easier to dodge because you can see where the shot grouping starts and react. I base this on the X out of Y rounds hit so...

However in any case your dodges are often not so much as going all Matrix on the bullets, but on performing evasive maneuvers or being unpredictable enough to "force a miss".
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

13eowulf wrote:I said other because I both have and havent at times. When I do I tend to use the RUE version where distance is a factor as well (page 361 for reference). The -10 is only within 10 feet (referred to as point blank range). It is -5 between 10 and 50 feet away, and no dodge penalties if outside 50 feet.

Mostly correct. As i was reading up on them before i posted this, it does say that you NEVER get to apply any dodge bonuses to gunfire other than OCC bonuses and PP bonuses.

So, that's still a pretty huge penalty.

Not saying i agree or disagree or whatever, just clarifying.

I do agree that it is (less) of an issue as written in RUE in that it only applies at close range.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.

Return to “Rifts®”