New Sovietski book

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

New Sovietski book

Unread post by Atroxadventurer »

I'm new to these forums, and hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by asking this general question.
I'm excited, like a lot of folks, I'm sure, for the release of the new Sovietski book. I'd buy the pre-release, but a little late on that, as I've been away from Palladium books for a year or so.

That being said, I've read the small section in Warlords of Russia a couple times, but can't seem to find out this:

Question: What is the Sovietski nation's stance (official and/or unofficial) on magic and Dbees?

I know of the general rural poor Russian peasant's stance, but figured this nation might have a unique one.

Didn't know if they outlaw magic like CS, or use it like Wolfen Empire in PFRPG (mages like a Special Force type thing).

Thanks
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: New Sovietski book

Unread post by Natasha »

The Soviet military is first and foremost a blunt instrument of heavy armour and cybernetics.

D-Bees account for only 2% of the country's population. The outlook likely gets worse the less a D-Bee appears human. Christianity figures prominently -- that could sway opinion wildly in either direction...
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

Ok thanks. Basically that was gonna be my guess. Just wasn't sure if it was tweaked in any way for that specific nation.
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer
Comment: War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Unread post by TeeAychEeMarchHare »

They're based on the actual Soviet Union, right?

Communists want to control as many people as they possibly can. So long as they're providing bodies for the army and the farms and factories, are a net producer instead of a net drain, and accept the Party line about everyone being equal (but some are more equal than others) I could see the commies accepting Comrade D-Bee and Comrade Mage.
Too much ammo is a self-correcting problem.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I want to say that it's addressed in the new book but it's been months and months since I've read the preview.

I __DO__ Remember that the way the history and fluff was presented was awesome for a Palladium product. Far beyond their norm.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

TeeAychEeMarchHare wrote:They're based on the actual Soviet Union, right?

Communists want to control as many people as they possibly can. So long as they're providing bodies for the army and the farms and factories, are a net producer instead of a net drain, and accept the Party line about everyone being equal (but some are more equal than others) I could see the commies accepting Comrade D-Bee and Comrade Mage.

That's kinda what I'm hoping 4
But we'll see when book comes out.
Honestly, I'm hoping it'll resemble a faction from a Russian mmo I play, won't name it here, but suffice to say the music, atmosphere, and look, down to propaganda posters and buildings, is like USSR in 1950s, but if society had orcs and another race incorporated w mages etc.
kaid
Knight

ORe: New Sovietski book

Unread post by kaid »

Atroxadventurer wrote:I'm new to these forums, and hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by asking this general question.
I'm excited, like a lot of folks, I'm sure, for the release of the new Sovietski book. I'd buy the pre-release, but a little late on that, as I've been away from Palladium books for a year or so.

That being said, I've read the small section in Warlords of Russia a couple times, but can't seem to find out this:

Question: What is the Sovietski nation's stance (official and/or unofficial) on magic and Dbees?

I know of the general rural poor Russian peasant's stance, but figured this nation might have a unique one.

Didn't know if they outlaw magic like CS, or use it like Wolfen Empire in PFRPG (mages like a Special Force type thing).

Thanks

The raw preview went into this but not sure what made the final cut. Magic users are not plentiful but are allowed if they work for the state. Dbees are not really common but if they support the state they are permitted. Kinda like soviet Russia if you are a good worker and tow the party line you can be accepted.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Natasha wrote:The Soviet military is first and foremost a blunt instrument of heavy armour and cybernetics...

And vodka-based anti-freeze. :bandit:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

Re: ORe: New Sovietski book

kaid wrote:
Atroxadventurer wrote:I'm new to these forums, and hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by asking this general question.

Thanks

The raw preview went into this but not sure what made the final cut. Magic users are not plentiful but are allowed if they work for the state. Dbees are not really common but if they support the state they are permitted. Kinda like soviet Russia if you are a good worker and tow the party line you can be accepted.

Ok cool that sounds workable
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

taalismn wrote:
Natasha wrote:The Soviet military is first and foremost a blunt instrument of heavy armour and cybernetics...

And vodka-based anti-freeze. :bandit:

Haha whatever works
taalismn
Priest

Atroxadventurer wrote:[

Haha whatever works

My favorite piece of Sov-era technology was the Tupolev jet bomber that carried over a hundred gallons of grain alcohol as anti-freeze. If the ground crews couldn't get the ground supplies of the stuff, they'd tap the reservoir tanks on the aircraft during turnaround servicing and get themselves soused.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

taalismn wrote:

Haha whatever works

My favorite piece of Sov-era technology was the Tupolev jet bomber that carried over a hundred gallons of grain alcohol as anti-freeze. If the ground crews couldn't get the ground supplies of the stuff, they'd tap the reservoir tanks on the aircraft during turnaround servicing and get themselves soused.

Seriously?
If so, that is awesome! :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Atroxadventurer wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Haha whatever works

Seriously?

Yeah, the Tu-22 'Blinder'. Apparently the NATO reporting name came close to the trith...as in 'blind drunk'.
But apparently the problem wasn't limited to the Tu-22:
https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2016/09/29/How-a-Soviet-pilots-defection-showed-West-the-secret-MiG/6721475152918/
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

taalismn wrote:
Atroxadventurer wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Haha whatever works

Seriously?

Yeah, the Tu-22 'Blinder'. Apparently the NATO reporting name came close to the trith...as in 'blind drunk'.
But apparently the problem wasn't limited to the Tu-22:
https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2016/09/29/How-a-Soviet-pilots-defection-showed-West-the-secret-MiG/6721475152918/

Wow, that whole article was interesting, especially part about US laughing about the Vacuum-Tube Tech, until they realized that it would survive nuclear EMP.
taalismn
Priest

Given that, and the fact that the Sovietski is building big hulker cyborgs that lack the finesse of the pre-Rifts types, don't you think that opens the door to cyborg supersoldiers that use kludged-up retrotech in innovative ways?
Alcohol coolant systems, vacuum-tube 'black boxes', copied vintage jet engines linked to supertech mini-nuke powerplants for jet-assisted hops...or super air-blasters.
Eccentric village cyberdocs putting together frankenborgs to face off the warlords' legions. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

nah.. i can't see the sovietski being ok with civilians putting together their own armed bionic force, whether kludged together or not.

and i'd say that retro or schitzo-tech borgs would be more the Provence of the Warlords, since they don't have access to the kind of industrial infrastructure the Sovietski does, and would thus be more likely to need to resort of kludges.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:nah.. i can't see the sovietski being ok with civilians putting together their own armed bionic force, whether kludged together or not.

and i'd say that retro or schitzo-tech borgs would be more the Provence of the Warlords, since they don't have access to the kind of industrial infrastructure the Sovietski does, and would thus be more likely to need to resort of kludges.

If the Sovietski got backed into a corner, they might, ala Third Reich Germany with all the various oddball designs being fielded as they got pressed hard.
Mind you, though, it would have to be some SERIOUS threat, or a compound one of an Infernal army and one or more of the more insane Warlords trying to take advantage of the NewCommies' distraction to do a land/property grab....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Atroxadventurer wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Haha whatever works

Seriously?

It beats the alternative problem in siberia with bears getting wasted sniffing jet fuel from supply dumps.
taalismn
Priest

kaid wrote:[

It beats the alternative problem in siberia with bears getting wasted sniffing jet fuel from supply dumps.

Or the radioactive polar bears. The Sovs dumped a lot of radioactive waste and naval reactors off their far north test ranges.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

taalismn wrote:
kaid wrote:[

Or the radioactive polar bears. The Sovs dumped a lot of radioactive waste and naval reactors off their far north test ranges.

The radioactive bares basically are only a big danger if you try to eat them. The jet fuel addicted bears apparently got very aggressive and unpredictable when they were crashing and jonsing for a fix. Apparently it made working in airport supply depots "exciting". And difficult to shoot bears in the middle of a fuel supply dump for obvious reasons.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I'mma go out on a limb and say that bears are kinda dangerous at the absolute best of times. Radioactive ones a little more so.

As for bears tripping balls on jet fuel. Yikes.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

A video I saw of that was hilarious and very very russian. They were just describing dodging multiple junky bears while fueling planes like it was just a normal thing you do in russia. I am pretty sure in rifts russia some weird 5 eyed Dbee working on the commune gets a shrug from his coworkers as long as he does his job.
taalismn
Priest

kaid wrote:A video I saw of that was hilarious and very very russian. They were just describing dodging multiple junky bears while fueling planes like it was just a normal thing you do in russia. I am pretty sure in rifts russia some weird 5 eyed Dbee working on the commune gets a shrug from his coworkers as long as he does his job.

1) Everybody's so heavily bundled up, that sort of thing goes unnoticed.
2) Anybody who'd notice is likely so intoxicated, they shrug it off as just another buzz-mirage.
3) And anybody REPORTING an unusual person is regarded as a leftover Chekist or Communist stoolpigeon and either ignored or beaten up.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

I'm thinking that Mages, along with Psychics, would probably be encouraged to work for Military or Police Investigators(the State), if they refuse, they would be monitored, like in NGR.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I am hoping to hear this has gone to printer when the weekly news thing comes out. I really want this. The raw preview was amazing and if they can clean it up editing wise and put in some good artwork it should be fantastic.
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

Do you remember if they mentioned that nation's stance on psychics and magic?
WOR was kinda vague on that aspect of their society.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Atroxadventurer wrote:Do you remember if they mentioned that nation's stance on psychics and magic?

This is talked about in the raw preview so it should make it to the final version. They are not really pro psychics or magic but are very practical and pragmatic. If the person is loyal to the state they can have a place. I believe most psychics and magic users that are citizens are expected to be part of the ready militia reserves or active military. Also I believe magic users are always considered to be armed with a deadly weapon and using magic to commit a crime is a really good way to wind up with a case of dead.
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

That sounds alot like NGR, what's states in Triax 2 book, but even more realistic.
Cool, thanks for letting me know, didn't want to have to change it before book comes out in 20 years :lol:
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Atroxadventurer wrote:That sounds alot like NGR, what's states in Triax 2 book, but even more realistic.
Cool, thanks for letting me know, didn't want to have to change it before book comes out in 20 years :lol:

It struck me as a pretty reasonable way to manage people with those abilities. It is almost stupid not to make use of them in your military even if it is just as a reservist. A mage in some small farming commune could be the difference between life and death for those farmers if some random critter attacks. Given the high percentage of full conversion borgs in the sovietski it also makes a lot of DB races/mages/psyhics less immediate OMG threats. If they get uppity or out of hand you can crush them simply enough if you have to.
Atroxadventurer
Wanderer

Very true. Not to mention, mages and even more so, psychics, are better at detecting supernatural infiltration.
taalismn
Priest

kaid wrote:
Atroxadventurer wrote:Do you remember if they mentioned that nation's stance on psychics and magic?

This is talked about in the raw preview so it should make it to the final version. They are not really pro psychics or magic but are very practical and pragmatic. If the person is loyal to the state they can have a place. I believe most psychics and magic users that are citizens are expected to be part of the ready militia reserves or active military. Also I believe magic users are always considered to be armed with a deadly weapon and using magic to commit a crime is a really good way to wind up with a case of dead.

So...Soviet Psykers? Ah, American goat-starers will feel vindicated!!!!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

yes because that worked so well before
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:yes because that worked so well before

I can see Desmond Bradford complaining that the Coalition States Psi-Net soldiers have been killing too many of his goat-mutants in practice at Lone Star.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I hope the person who get it,will give a review.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I hope the person who get it,will give a review.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I will as soon as I can get my grubby paws on this. Hell if they just do an editing pass and art for was in the raw preview it will be amazing. Most of the raw previews are pretty raw where you can see the ideas they are working on but clearly not in final shape. the sovietski has been by far the most finished looking of the raw previews. I am very much looking forward to this one it is getting ordered the second I see it is at the printers.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kaid wrote:Kinda like soviet Russia if you are a good worker and tow the party line you can be accepted.

:lol: The Soviet Union collapsed largely because communism provided few meaningful incentives for good work.

Of course, my own views of communism align with those of Liberty Prime. Better dead than Red!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer

Hotrod wrote:
kaid wrote:Kinda like soviet Russia if you are a good worker and tow the party line you can be accepted.

:lol: The Soviet Union collapsed largely because communism provided few meaningful incentives for good work.

Of course, my own views of communism align with those of Liberty Prime. Better dead than Red!

:ok:

I forgot about Liberty Prime.

Might be time to play Fallout 3 again before much longer (after I finish 4). I'll have to re-download a bunch of mods....
taalismn
Priest

Hotrod wrote:

:lol: The Soviet Union collapsed largely because communism provided few meaningful incentives for good work.![/i]

What?! Trabants and Zils aren't incentive enough? The cutting edge of automotive luxury for the proletariet?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I Hope the Sovietski,s book will show up at DrivethrouRpg?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I Hope the Sovietski,s book will show up at Drive thru Rpg?
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I assume it will show up on drive through RPG although maybe not immediately. They are currently working to put PDF up of their product lines and that seems to be gaining speed as new ones go up every week it seems.

Just ordered my copy now that they have a firm ship date. I am really looking forward to this one the raw preview was amazing and the finished product with art should be even better.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

FYI the sneak preview is up for the new sovietski book and it contains the info for how the sovietski views Dbees/magic and psychics looks like it is pretty much what was in the raw preview from my first read through of that section.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Where?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Where?

Daniel Stoker

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_inf ... =palladium It is also linked in the weekly update on the front page from last night.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Thanks! :)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I'm waiting for the Borg animals and animal handler MOS!

taalismn
Priest

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'm waiting for the Borg animals and animal handler MOS!

Likewise...wanna see how they compare to my own 'borged wolves and bears.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer

kaid wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:Where?

Daniel Stoker

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_inf ... =palladium It is also linked in the weekly update on the front page from last night.

Thanks for the link.

After reading the preview available at DriveThru, I seriously doubt that I'll buy this book. It's bad enough that the CS was written basically as Galactic Empire/Nazi Germany with intelligent dogs. Bringing back the only thing yet that's been worse than nazism is not something I feel compelled to do.

But to each their own. I'm certain there are quite a few people who will like the book, and have fun playing in that setting. *IF* the game I'm working on ever gets to that area, I'll just make something up. I did it for Australia in the 90's, and now that pictures of futuristic aircraft, weapons, robots, etc, are a lot easier to find, it eliminates the biggest problem I ran into back then.

I'm glad that more areas of the world are finally being fleshed out. There's not a whole lot left before the entire Earth has been covered, at least somewhat (more than just "it's destroyed, monsters, farmers, herp derp" I mean), is there? The middle east, India, North America west of the Rockies, islands in the Pacific, Scandinavia....what else?
taalismn
Priest

TeeAychEeMarchHare wrote:[

I'm glad that more areas of the world are finally being fleshed out. There's not a whole lot left before the entire Earth has been covered, at least somewhat (more than just "it's destroyed, monsters, farmers, herp derp" I mean), is there? The middle east, India, North America west of the Rockies, islands in the Pacific, Scandinavia....what else?

Antarctica, of course. Greenland. Siberia.
Really cold places.
Africa could do with more love; it's kinda bad that the 'Golden Age' didn't benefit Africa more, leaving folks there in a better position post-apocalypse, or that there aren't more resurgent magic kingdoms similar to the Incas blossoming in Africa..
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”