Looking for a power armoured

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Looking for a power armoured

Unread post by ZINO »

Is the an official S.A.M.A.S for space ?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Looking for a power armoured

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

No SAMAS model/variants are known to be made for space AFAIK. Really the power blocks (RoJ, CS, FQ, BM) that produce the SAMAS don't have a need for a space model variant as none of them can get into space.

The Glitterboy has a trio of space models in Mutants in Orbit SB, but not the SAMAS.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Reason being; Kevin Siembiada doesn't want to open space up to the mudslugs... even his favorite Neo-nazi plot immune thugs.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Even though the design is Pre-Rifts it appears that it was either not used in space or the template files did not survive.
If a person wanted to make a space SAMAS my suggestion would be to use the Silver Eagle/Golden Eagle drop the speed down a lot (the turbines wont work with out air) and call it good.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Knowing Telepath
D-Bee

Unread post by Knowing Telepath »

There isn’t an official one that I can remember, but Kitsune has a space SAMAS on his page if you want an example of one.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Knowing Telepath wrote:There isn’t an official one that I can remember, but Kitsune has a space SAMAS on his page if you want an example of one.

yes thank you but surprise PB doesn't have shame PB
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

ZINO wrote:
Knowing Telepath wrote:There isn’t an official one that I can remember, but Kitsune has a space SAMAS on his page if you want an example of one.

At the time there wasn't a need for it.
After all any other power armor would have made the fantastically expensive space Glitterboys even more outrageous. So they simply did away with rival suits :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

eliakon wrote:
ZINO wrote:

After all any other power armor would have made the fantastically expensive space Glitterboys even more outrageous. So they simply did away with rival suits :D

rifts space would of been perfect to add s S.A.M.A.S for space operation really lost opportunity there
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

ZINO wrote:
eliakon wrote:
ZINO wrote:

rifts space would of been perfect to add s S.A.M.A.S for space operation really lost opportunity there

Oh I agree. They should have had at a minimum a suit of armor for each station. And personally I would have not been lazy and reskinned ground suits but made actual new suits that were designed from the get go to be space armors. Waldos in the arms, maneuvering jets, magnetic boot clamps, tracking beacons (that can be turned on and off), built in tethers and oxygen hoses for long duration operations, spot lights, weapon systems and defenses using space tech... the works.
Then maybe toss in a couple classic suits reskinned as well.

Ambrosius
D-Bee

Unread post by Ambrosius »

Not official but I would say that if you were to have them, the turbines would need to be replaced with something else. Though that may take away some of the Rifts Earth flavor of them.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

One thing I find confusing about this is... aren't the SAMAS and Glitter Boy both based on the same cyberworks/republican designs?

If there are spaceGB on the other Archie on the moon you'd figure he'd have SAMAS equivs too.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:Even though the design is Pre-Rifts it appears that it was either not used in space or the template files did not survive.
If a person wanted to make a space SAMAS my suggestion would be to use the Silver Eagle/Golden Eagle drop the speed down a lot (the turbines wont work with out air) and call it good.

Well remember that the groups that produced the SAMAS and the Glitter Boy were rivals, we have Space Glitter Boys because the corporation that produced them also went into space as part of Freedom Station. The SAMAS on the other hand didn't make it that far, which is why we see efforts to create their own space-based power armors to pick up the slack. It might have also been part of an effort to avoid 'The CS IN SPACE!' from happening, since the Moon Colony's antagonistic behavior is squarely in alignment with CS behavior, although thankfully more like the former Quebec state and not like the Chi-Town state.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

eliakon wrote:
ZINO wrote:
eliakon wrote:
ZINO wrote:

Oh I agree. They should have had at a minimum a suit of armor for each station. And personally I would have not been lazy and reskinned ground suits but made actual new suits that were designed from the get go to be space armors. Waldos in the arms, maneuvering jets, magnetic boot clamps, tracking beacons (that can be turned on and off), built in tethers and oxygen hoses for long duration operations, spot lights, weapon systems and defenses using space tech... the works.

keep in mind that Mutants in orbit was meant as a After the Bomb book first and foremost, and the Rifts section was at best, a tacked on appendix. ATB does not have the kind of widespread power armor rifts does (the Empire of Humanity's suits are implied to be unique inventions they've made). had the book been written as a Rifts book exclusively, i'd imagine that it would not only be higher page count but also include stuff like you mention.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
eliakon wrote:Oh I agree. They should have had at a minimum a suit of armor for each station. And personally I would have not been lazy and reskinned ground suits but made actual new suits that were designed from the get go to be space armors. Waldos in the arms, maneuvering jets, magnetic boot clamps, tracking beacons (that can be turned on and off), built in tethers and oxygen hoses for long duration operations, spot lights, weapon systems and defenses using space tech... the works.

keep in mind that Mutants in orbit was meant as a After the Bomb book first and foremost, and the Rifts section was at best, a tacked on appendix. ATB does not have the kind of widespread power armor rifts does (the Empire of Humanity's suits are implied to be unique inventions they've made). had the book been written as a Rifts book exclusively, i'd imagine that it would not only be higher page count but also include stuff like you mention.

I would still have liked a few more pages of power armor in the Rifts part.
Instead we get a ton of weirdness that basically ends up having to be ignored to make the rest of the games canon even remotely hold up.

Return to “Rifts®”