Trader OOC Gameplay

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sohisohi
Explorer

Trader OOC Gameplay

Unread post by Sohisohi »

I've been thinking about playing a Coalition aligned City Trader, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either City Traders or Merchant Traders from the Australian Book? They seem to be a rouge-like gentleman class, which is why I am interested.
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Re: Trader OOC Gameplay

Unread post by slade2501 »

its possible to run entire campaigns on trading. It really depends on the folks in your party. many players are combat monsters but hate maintenance role playing (you know, role playing the out of combat stuff like supplies, shopping, camping, etc.).

Usually a good GM uses broad strokes and only as much detail as necessary without getting bogged down in detail. Most transactions should be bare bones info and skill rolling unless its Germain to the adventure (the guy your dealing with has a hook, or a line for the players). this scratches that using your OCC itch without boring the other players or stalling the gameplay.
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Trader OOC Gameplay

Unread post by Hotrod »

slade2501 wrote:its possible to run entire campaigns on trading. It really depends on the folks in your party. many players are combat monsters but hate maintenance role playing (you know, role playing the out of combat stuff like supplies, shopping, camping, etc.).

Usually a good GM uses broad strokes and only as much detail as necessary without getting bogged down in detail. Most transactions should be bare bones info and skill rolling unless its Germain to the adventure (the guy your dealing with has a hook, or a line for the players). this scratches that using your OCC itch without boring the other players or stalling the gameplay.

I rather enjoy maintenance role-playing, but maybe I played the Oregon Trail game a few too many times back in the day. The way I've done it is more by spot checking specifics like food, water, damage inflicted to equipment when I think it's important and otherwise leaving the players to work out the details at book prices for standard consumables. Sometimes, giving the players time to work out those details provides me with more time to prepare the next part of the adventure.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Rifts®”