Exploding Die Rule

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wyrmraker
Hero

Exploding Die Rule

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I know that this has been asked before, but has there ever been a determination on whether the exploding die rule applies for non-humans?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Exploding Die Rule

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

wyrmraker wrote:I know that this has been asked before, but has there ever been a determination on whether the exploding die rule applies for non-humans?

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php ... Itemid=200

34. Is it possible for other races other then humans to have exceptional stats. As in like the humans 16+ on 3d6 is another d6. If so what is the rule or standard for figuring out the numbers required.

Answer: It is possible.

2D6 - a single die on a 12 (no additional dice)
3D6 - a single die on a result of 16, 17 or 18, if this dice is a 6 roll another bonus dice (max 30)
3D6+ - a single die on a result of 16, 17 or 18, if this dice is a 6 roll another bonus dice (max 30), then add in the +
4D6 - no bonus die.

I do not recall if this originates from something more official/reliable than the FAQ.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

We always allowed a single bonus die for 4d6 if it was a 21, 22, 23, or 24, but that was a purely house rule.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Thanks for the look up.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:I know that this has been asked before, but has there ever been a determination on whether the exploding die rule applies for non-humans?

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php ... Itemid=200

34. Is it possible for other races other then humans to have exceptional stats. As in like the humans 16+ on 3d6 is another d6. If so what is the rule or standard for figuring out the numbers required.

Answer: It is possible.

2D6 - a single die on a 12 (no additional dice)
3D6 - a single die on a result of 16, 17 or 18, if this dice is a 6 roll another bonus dice (max 30)
3D6+ - a single die on a result of 16, 17 or 18, if this dice is a 6 roll another bonus dice (max 30), then add in the +
4D6 - no bonus die.

I do not recall if this originates from something more official/reliable than the FAQ.

In the 2nd Ed PFRPG main book it states non-humans with 2d6 for an attribute get to roll an extra die on a 12, but no extra die rolls are allowed if the base roll is 4d6 or more. It's slightly unclear if this rule excludes attributes that are 3d6+X, but I think that such attributes are included in the exploding die rule.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

dreicunan wrote:We always allowed a single bonus die for 4d6 if it was a 21, 22, 23, or 24, but that was a purely house rule.

Originally in PFRPG it was a way to compensate to some extent humans not having special abilities like nightvision. But it makes sense that elves (or whatever) can be exceptional for their race, too. I like this house rule and will probably use it next time there's a game.
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

From PFRPG (some interpretation required). Flat (2d6) get one extra die on a 12 only, Flat (3d6) extra die on 16, 17, 18 and if a 6 is rolled one more die is added. All others that get anything other (4d6, 5d6, 2d6+X, 3d6+X, ect...) that is all they get no exploding dice.

However those rules seem kind of silly. How can an exceptional human get a PS of 30 and a 10ft tall exceptional wolfen only get a 25?

So we have always house ruled only one exploding die period, and used the spirit of the 3d6 roll as the basis. If you roll 3d6 you get a single bonus die on the top 3 numbers (16, 17, 18), so 4d6 you get a single bonus die on the top 4 numbers (21, 22, 23, 24), or 2d6 the top 2 (11, 12), ect...

However if you had very specific attributes (genetically engineered or similar) where the +X was more significant for example 1d4+10 then there are no bonus rolls because you were designed to be very close to a specific stat.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

In the old 1E Robotech Sentinels there is this bit (mind you they don't have the double exploding dice):

Sentinels: Zentraedi Pg 19 wrote:As usual, a roll of 16, 17, or 18 provides a bonus roll of 1d6 and bonuses on abilities. Likewise, a roll of 11 or 12 on 2d6 gets a bonus roll of 1d6

How I read this: 3d6 on a 16-18 you get a bonus roll. 4d6 gives you a better chance to get a 16-18 or higher. But you only get a bonus roll on that slim area of 16-18. Because back in the day 24 was the top of the food chain.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It is my understanding the FAQ as listed is so old & inconsistent and sometimes the FAQ was counter to the canon of the time it was written. (not to mention the current canon), that they can not be considered canon or even 'rifter optional'. They also have, far as I remember, never been considered to be canon even thou they have been used as the basis of one or other side's base text for their argument for the debates that happen here. The answers in the FAQ are typically written to answered for just one setting and not the others.

As such is a non-canon text that GMs should just take as possible ideas to modify their games.
In other words, in what I can see, it bunch of house rules written PB staffers or freelancers.
-------------
The current canon in rifts, as far as I could find relevent text, non 3d6 stats do not get an exceptional stat bonus die.
The PFRPG 2nd text is the only canon text in ay text I know of, off the top of my head, that covers stats of non-humans.

It is my understanding that stats with part of it is static (xDy+b) do not get any exceptional stat bonus . [x=number of dice, y=type of dice, b=static bonus]
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

I'm not aware of any specific rules... that said...

Well back when I was running games I allowed all variables (ie dice) could explode up to double their initial number. They could only explode on a natural roll of the highest value for that dice. This pattern can carry into the exploded dice itself, however, it can only total double the variables max.

For example a 3D6 can explode on any single dice roll of 6 and all of these values can not total higher then 36 ((3*6)*2=36).

Or in the case of 2D4+3 explodes are on a 4 with caps at 16 which becomes 19 with the +3.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

All sounds good to me, because even Orc genomes should be able to produce the occasional genius or super-athlete.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”