Racial skills questions

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Racial skills questions

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

I noticed that some races start out with some skills with bonuses. For instance, I saw the Elf starts with Dragonese/Elf at 98% with one other literacy skill +20%. Would these skills be considered OCC Skills or OCC Related skills due to their bonuses? Or just Secondary Skills?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Racial skills questions

Unread post by eliakon »

(SHIFTY) wrote:I noticed that some races start out with some skills with bonuses. For instance, I saw the Elf starts with Dragonese/Elf at 98% with one other literacy skill +20%. Would these skills be considered OCC Skills or OCC Related skills due to their bonuses? Or just Secondary Skills?

Magic 8 ball says
Answer Hazy.

I will give you my best guess though.

Races getting skills is normally the province of R.C.C.s. which get them as "O.C.C. skills" (No I am not going to get into arguing the difference between RCCs and OCCs and Races and whatnot...so don't go there people)

Now Elf isn't an RCC, but it is in this limited way acting like one of those wacky "R.C.C.'s that can take an O.C.C." (again what ever that means I don't care to argue... I'm just calling it like its printed)

Thus, my best guess? Treat it the same way and assume it is an O.C.C. skill
This also allows for their language to be of good quality instead of poor (which is very 'elfish' I feel)

None of this is, as far as I know official or canon, just me speculating wildly so take it for what you will.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

(SHIFTY) wrote:I noticed that some races start out with some skills with bonuses. For instance, I saw the Elf starts with Dragonese/Elf at 98% with one other literacy skill +20%. Would these skills be considered OCC Skills or OCC Related skills due to their bonuses? Or just Secondary Skills?

We treat them the same as but separate from OCC Skills.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

I guess the question i have is....

Why does it matter? They get the skills listed at the percentages listed and/or bonuses listed. They dont need to be an OCC skill, or Related, or... anything, really.

Though they do sometimes raise other interesting questions (Wolfen, for instance, get a free ancient WP of choice... does this allow non-men-at-arms OCCs to take restricted WPs like paired? My answer as GM would be no, but theres a case to be kade for yes), but i dont think the question of what Type of skill it is matters.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

I guess the question i have is....

Why does it matter? They get the skills listed at the percentages listed and/or bonuses listed. They dont need to be an OCC skill, or Related, or... anything, really.

Seconded.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

It could matter if the skill is a technical or domestic skill. Is your race just good at singing and dancing at an amateur level, or is your whole race professional level singers and dancers?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I'd treat them as OCC skills, since they were likely performing those skills from an early age.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i tend to do it two, linked, ways.
first i see if the class's OCC skills cover any of them. most OCC's have "native language" for example, which would cover the race's language skill.

any racial skills not covered by the class's OCC skill selections options get added as bonus OCC skills.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
JamelBF
Newb

Unread post by JamelBF »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i tend to do it two, linked, ways.
first i see if the class's OCC skills cover any of them. most OCC's have "native language" for example, which would cover the race's language skill.

any racial skills not covered by the class's OCC skill selections options get added as bonus OCC skills.

This is a good idea. I'll try the same.
I'll let you know if I get it. I'll share my experience. :-)
"Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don't wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it's at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored"
A new hobby for pleasure
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

They are what they are listed as, 'Racial Skills'.

In my understanding is that they are treated much like the Class Skills (whether the class skills are called PCC skills, RCC skills, or OCC skills) in that the char has them at 1st level, the skills mature with exp with the listed bonuses, and they can not be replaced (the char being psychic does not modify them).
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

I actually agree with drewkitty. I'd just treat racial skills as if they were part of the character's class skills and proceed as normal.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I would say they are not OCC or OCC related but racial skills. Something that comes from being the race, races tend to be good at being themselves so I would say they are professional skills but are not tracked/treated as OCC skills. The reason I say this is if you use the optional rules for changing classes they would not in my opinion be locked with the old class. I would say they begin to advance again when the new class passes the old one.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Treat as OCC Skill.

If there was room/a spot on the paper character sheet, we usually listed separately the racial skills. If not, it's listed in the OCC column with a note. (Or OCC Related if the OCC was a bit of a skill monkey)
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Indeed...an elf raised as a foundling by humans or goblins shouldn't have Language: Elven/Dragonese as a base skill unless it's definitely stated that they have some sort of high-order genetic memory that covers language skills. 'Native' language in the foundling case the might be a human language or Gobbley. :)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”