Power Punch/Kick- Japan HtH styles can't perform at level 1

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grymmheart
D-Bee

Power Punch/Kick- Japan HtH styles can't perform at level 1

Unread post by Grymmheart »

I've been searching for a few days for the answer to this issue, but came up short.

Curious, in RUE power punch is listed as a basic level 1 attack for all styles and power kick for all but Basic. In Japan Rifts, power punch is gained only at mid levels for a few styles and power kick is only listed for karate (as far as i can tell). I realize knife hand/karate strike/palm strike already do "power punch" damage without costing 2 atts, but there is no level 1 equivalent for power kick as far as i can tell. Is there a missing errata for this? Or should my players just be happy they have more attack options with Japan HtH styles that do more damage than basic punch/kick without costing 2 attacks?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Power Punch/Kick- Japan HtH styles can't perform at lev

Unread post by eliakon »

Grymmheart wrote:I've been searching for a few days for the answer to this issue, but came up short.

Curious, in RUE power punch is listed as a basic level 1 attack for all styles and power kick for all but Basic. In Japan Rifts, power punch is gained only at mid levels for a few styles and power kick is only listed for karate (as far as i can tell). I realize knife hand/karate strike/palm strike already do "power punch" damage without costing 2 atts, but there is no level 1 equivalent for power kick as far as i can tell. Is there a missing errata for this? Or should my players just be happy they have more attack options with Japan HtH styles that do more damage than basic punch/kick without costing 2 attacks?

This is partly an issue with the change over from RMB to RUE.
If a GM is going to use RMB era material in their game they will have to convert it themselves...unless of course there has been a shadow update on something, then your golden.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Maybe assume the Japanese have it at 1st and the ones they gain are level-ups are double-power and do x3?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i wouldn't worry about it so much. unless you have augmented (but not robotic, supernatural, or regular) PS, power punch and power kick are fairly situational anyways. i'd say if you choose one of the other styles, you miss out on power punch and power kick, but that it is probably also well worth it.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the japanese HTH's are martial art's. Aikido, Jujitsu, karate, etc.
it makes some sense that they'd be different than the RUE HTH's.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”