Dragon Metamorphosis

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

binsecure
D-Bee

Dragon Metamorphosis

Unread post by binsecure »

uestion: How long does a dragon's Metamorphosis last andhow many times a day can he do it? Must the dragon waita while between each metamorphosis? If so, how long?Answer: The maximum duration a dragon can maintain ametamorphosis is two (2) hours per each level of experience,within a 48 hour period. Thus a first level dragon can shapechange for a total of two hours, at second level four hours, thirdlevel six hours, Fourth level eight hours and so on. At the endof this period, the dragon will revert to its natural dragon shapewhether it wants to or not. Once the dragon has used up all itsmetamorphosis time, it can not perform another metamorphosisfor 24 hours. This means that a second level dragon can performand/or maintain metamorphosis for a total of four hours withina 48 hour period. Within that four hour period the creature couldalter its shape 20 or more times, but once it has used up thefour hours, it can not shape change again until 24 hours haspassed. Does this still apply?
And it says they have the strength and abilities. Do they still weigh 4 to 8 tons?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Dragon Metamorphosis

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Both the RMB and RUE dragon meta text has this same flaw. It does not specificly say that the stated limit is per day or whatnot.

In the PF Dragons and gods the time limits are set for each 5 hours for adult dragons and 12 hours for hatchlings. (with some exceptions)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Both the RMB and RUE dragon meta text has this same flaw. It does not specificly say that the stated limit is per day or whatnot.

In the PF Dragons and gods the time limits are set for each 5 hours for adult dragons and 12 hours for hatchlings. (with some exceptions)

Are you saying that in D&G hatchlings have longer metamorphosis hours than adults?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Beast wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Both the RMB and RUE dragon meta text has this same flaw. It does not specificly say that the stated limit is per day or whatnot.

Are you saying that in D&G hatchlings have longer metamorphosis hours than adults?

No, the length of the transformation was not the subject of the question asked.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

@beast: "time limits" was not the best term for drewkitty to use. Dragons and Gods states that after using up their metamorphosis time, adults have to wait 5 hours and hatchlings 12 hours before they can use metamorphosis again. Since it doesn't state otherwise, the logical reading is that they have their full duration back after those time limits as well. It is also logical that they don't have to use up the full duration before starting a wait period and getting the full duration back again.

Edited to correctly address the asker of the question. Sorry abiut that, Axel!
Last edited by dreicunan on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

dreicunan wrote:@Axelmania: "time limits" was not the best term for drewkitty to use.

Had me thinking I might have replied here and had a post deleted but I think this was intended for The_Beast...

The Beast wrote:

RMB 100 had "two hours per level" (and RUE 159 per viewtopic.php?f=8&t=132935 in 2012) but did not give a reset time or frequency, as Drew says.

Pre-D&G, RAW I guess like any ability you could assume it takes a melee action to active, so to maintain a disguise you'd need to find a place that could hide a dragon for a few seconds. An outhouse wouldn't work since you'd explode it.

I think for the time needed to shapeshift, as a house rule since we are not told how long it takes to go dragon>human I would adapt those rules from Nightbane for The Becoming where you can always do it in a full round but possibly quicker if you pass some kinda ME roll.

Although I'd prefer longer since longer transformations are cool and more horrific. In which case using the casting time for Metamorphosis Superior (I think 30 seconds?) could work.

Then again, if teleporting can be done in 1 action and it's taking yourself apart and putting yourself together again, maybe morphing shouldn't be slower from that perspective?

Pepsi made a good point about Carlotta the White (and some other in the Black Market, not sure who) maintaining masquerades and how hard it might be.

Another interesting change in morphing in RMB 100 for the Great Horned had "(an adult dragon can maintain
the transformation for 48 hours)" yet in RCB, adult great horns were upgraded to be able to maintain transformations indefinitely.

Mack pointed out something interesting about Carlotta in that thread too, WB1 pg 109 "Metamorphosis: Can maintain the form of a woman (or any other) for 14 hours per every 48 hour period" so based on that, it was per 2 days, a HUGE cap I suppose compared to the playstyle Drew mentioned:
    I've played with a gal player years ago, who overcame the 2 hour/Level limitation by having her char change form every hour or so. Strait from one form to the other.

If we merge that with D+G, best I can figure this means you have a total of 2-hours/level of non-dragon forms per 48 hours, and need to wait 12 hours before adopting a new one. I figure reversion to dragon form does not count against this 12 hour limit though, so the 12 hour count should begin when you adopt the first form...

So in the case of Carlotta, if she went 13 hours, went dragon, I would let her shapeshift back to human immediately to use up her 14th hour.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Note: Mack in the linked topic was talking about VK, not VKr. And the NPC mentioned was in the Reid's Rangers.
The R'sRs were updated in the Vamp SB, along with Carlotta the White. (Blanca is the spanish word for white.) Her meta details are: whatever form she chooses, takes 7 seconds to make the change, and 14 hours mets time limit. w/o mention of a 'reset' time limit.
silversarith
D-Bee

Unread post by silversarith »

I had been sure that under the hatchling metamorphosis stats in the RUE it was per day but that's not true. Doesn't mention any sort of cool down or duration other than how long they can maintain the change. I did find a bit under dragon hand to hand that says at level 1 shifting takes a full melee (15 sec) and at level three it's half round (7 sec).

Also under the hatchling rules some are more or less than 2 hours a level. And one would think adults might be better.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The per 48 in the original WB1 seems to imply KS had intended that somewhere but forgot to make it uniform, just as its removal in the sourcebook is may be an affirmation he no longer feels that way.

Return to “Rifts®”