Paired Weapons

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Paired Weapons

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

The skill specifically states that 2-Handed weapons don't work with this skill, but what about a staff? You can attack and defend with both ends, so what skill would be used that is similar to Paired Weapons?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Paired Weapons

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

A double ended weapon such has a quarter staff that is used with two handed is still a two handed weapon and it does not work according to raw.

A double ended weapon (unless it is a chain like weapon) can not strike at the same time with both ends.
A double ended weapon like a staff can not parry with one end and strike with the other on the same target in most fights.(it could do a combo move but not simultaneous in a single action.)

So use of PB paired weapon moves with 1 two handed staff is logically impossible in the regards that you can't use both ends against the same target simultaneously.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

HarleeKnight wrote:The skill specifically states that 2-Handed weapons don't work with this skill, but what about a staff? You can attack and defend with both ends, so what skill would be used that is similar to Paired Weapons?

The skill you are looking for appeared in one of the Palladium games cannot remember which one but here is the skill.
W.P. Reverse Stroke
A practiced combat move in which the character learns to strike an opponent behind him, without first turning around to meet his attacker, using any one-handed weapon or with the butt of a spear, pole arm or other two-handed weapon in which the character has a Weapon Proficiency. Penalties: When striking in this manner the character suffers a -2 to strike or parry incoming attacks from the rear, unlike a character without this skill who is at a -4 penalty to strike or parry attacks from the rear. Note: Also, characters with this skill and a W.P. in a two-handed weapon (e.g., large sword, large spear, pole arm, and other large weapons) can use the two-handed weapon in a similar manner to the Paired Weapons skill, striking with both the head and the butt of the weapon and it counting as one attack. The average butt of a weapon does 1D6 S.D.C. damage, unless it is spiked (2D4 S.D.C. damage) or has a second head on the opposite end of the weapon.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I believe Reverse Stroke is from Splicers main book. I'm in bed right now (typing on phone) and don't feel like moving to confirm though. I'd say 90% sure it's Splicers though. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Prysus is right, page 205 of Splicers in October 2004. Also sneaks in penalties for ANYONE attacking or striking enemies to the rear, which I would not otherwise know where to find.

Interesting aspect of this skill: it says SIMILAR to paired WP, but while it says you can attack 2 times for 1 action, unlike paired WP it doesn't say anything about losing your automatic parry as a result of doing so.

Paired weapons have a tendency to be unbalanced in a lot of RPGs. GURPS did a similar fix in 2007's "Martial Arts" with both "Slams with Long Weapons" on 112 and "Parrying with Two-Handed Weapons" on 123, gave long staffs a nice boost in offense and defense.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Reading the Reverse Stroke is for attacking the opponent behind your char. Not as the OP asked "You can attack and defend with both ends". It is limited to one front and one back.

In a cinematic game I would just use the WP paired w. WP spear/staff mimic what the OP asked for (eg.from media: sw pm). And If the player asked for it, also combine them with the WP RS. But this would be a GM ruling for a specific style of game. (in plan speak non-canon). There is also the matter it will require the GM to Okay the importing of the WP RS from spliciers.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”