One night in Russia makes a hard GM humble...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nac87
D-Bee

One night in Russia makes a hard GM humble...

Unread post by Nac87 »

Yo so my table gang wants to play Rifts in the Russia setting (somewhat arbitrarily), now I have only run games in select parts of North America (books providing) also one should note that I sold all of my Rifts books (and other RPG books) to help a friend in his cancer battle. So my question is this gang: If I was going to run a game set in RIFTS Russia with characters from there what books/publications should I buy (other than the core duh) to provide me with all the setting stuff and any gear/creatures/robots etc. that would reasonably be there (like I am sure a gun from the New Navy could be there for example but to me it would be to rare to bother getting the ocean book), also anyone who knows if there is Russia/Eastern Europe stuff in any of the Rifters I wouldn't turn down that info either. Thanks in advance :-D.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: One night in Russia makes a hard GM humble...

Unread post by eliakon »

Nac87 wrote:Yo so my table gang wants to play Rifts in the Russia setting (somewhat arbitrarily), now I have only run games in select parts of North America (books providing) also one should note that I sold all of my Rifts books (and other RPG books) to help a friend in his cancer battle. So my question is this gang: If I was going to run a game set in RIFTS Russia with characters from there what books/publications should I buy (other than the core duh) to provide me with all the setting stuff and any gear/creatures/robots etc. that would reasonably be there (like I am sure a gun from the New Navy could be there for example but to me it would be to rare to bother getting the ocean book), also anyone who knows if there is Russia/Eastern Europe stuff in any of the Rifters I wouldn't turn down that info either. Thanks in advance :-D.

RUE
Warlords of Russia
Mystic Russia
Bionics Source Book (The warlords are HUGE on bionics, you will want this book)
GMs Guide (VAST amounts of gear, skills, psionics, vehicles... basically all the hard stuff besides background from most of the first few dozen worldbooks)

Those will have 99% of everything you will want to play
If you are getting a few more books I would highly recommend
Book of Magic (it has a lot more spells, and will diversify your options)
Rifter #6 (you can get a PDF on line from DriveThru) has official stats for Russian Gods which may, or may not be useful to you.
Mindworks, Triax 1& 2, China 1&2 all help as they are neighbors and thus provide you with "what the locals are and what they are doing"
Heroes of Humanity. (Yes, I'm serious. The AT programs are just the sort of thing that professional military forces... like the Sovietsky, the NGR and some of the more organized Warlords would have. And it would go a long way to make those terrifying Warlords and their troops even more terrifying...dooooo eeeettt)
Last edited by eliakon on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RWB 17 & 18 Direct regional books

For classes from other books said to be in russia (that normal list of classes referencing classes in other books.)
mercs
new west
CSWC
Triax
Japan (if non-triax GBpilot)
mindwerks
psyscape/africa (for the mindbleeder RCC)

me adding other book to the list cause it was published after WB17.
Triax 2
Rifts china 1&2
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Depending on the type of game you play and how close you stick to the source material, you could take other source material and give it a Russian flavour. For instance, Techno-Wizards are basically a North American class, but you could put a Russian twist on the class -- TW has developed somewhat independently in the mineral rich Ural mountains, say, where the TWs there tend to make the kind of bulky stuff typical among the Warlords. Lots of faeries in the vast forests and mires. These sorts of things.
Nac87
D-Bee

Unread post by Nac87 »

Thanks this is a big help :)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Please have a chess tournament be part of this.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Please have a chess tournament be part of this.

I could see finding a god in every golden cloister, too.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Natasha wrote:Depending on the type of game you play and how close you stick to the source material, you could take other source material and give it a Russian flavour. For instance, Techno-Wizards are basically a North American class, but you could put a Russian twist on the class -- TW has developed somewhat independently in the mineral rich Ural mountains, say, where the TWs there tend to make the kind of bulky stuff typical among the Warlords. Lots of faeries in the vast forests and mires. These sorts of things.

they already have the Mystic Kuznya for magic item creation, so i think TW isn't really needed. besides, cross pollination like that can dilute the flavor of the setting.

one book worth bringing up is the upcoming Rifts:Sovietski sourcebook, which provides a ton of additional information on one of the most powerful factions in russia, and expands on the setting quite a bit, both in terms of additional information, additional locations (including a very neat system to create pre-rifts bunkers), and additional gear.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Natasha wrote:Depending on the type of game you play and how close you stick to the source material, you could take other source material and give it a Russian flavour. For instance, Techno-Wizards are basically a North American class, but you could put a Russian twist on the class -- TW has developed somewhat independently in the mineral rich Ural mountains, say, where the TWs there tend to make the kind of bulky stuff typical among the Warlords. Lots of faeries in the vast forests and mires. These sorts of things.

they already have the Mystic Kuznya for magic item creation, so i think TW isn't really needed. besides, cross pollination like that can dilute the flavor of the setting.

one book worth bringing up is the upcoming Rifts:Sovietski sourcebook, which provides a ton of additional information on one of the most powerful factions in russia, and expands on the setting quite a bit, both in terms of additional information, additional locations (including a very neat system to create pre-rifts bunkers), and additional gear.

Well, the kuznetsy are mega-damage skinned blacksmiths with SNPS and not much like the techno-wizards. One might desire to be able to exploit Russia's vast mineral deposits for more TW-like magic which is otherwise unavailable to Russian characters; whether or not the operational details dilute the flavour can be determined on a case by case basis according to personal preference, playstyle, the campaign, and other factors.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Natasha wrote:For instance, Techno-Wizards are basically a North American class, .

This is one of those things that is stated in one place (RMB/RUE) and then immediately and completely invalidated in dozens of others.

Techno-Wizards are endemic to any setting where there is high-tech and magic. Three Galaxies has had them for tens or (possibly) hundreds of thousands of years. Same with the Splugorth. Atlanteans practiced Techno-Wizardry on earth in the past (so did Lemurians before advancing down a slightly alternate mix of tech and magic with their advanced Biomancy).

There are TWs in Europe, particularly in England and Tarnow.

There may not be a culture of TWs in Russia (as the Warlords would probably look askew at that, as they aren't particularly fond of magic users and dont like encouraging magic use amongst their citizens), but you dont even have to stretch to have a TW in a Russia-based campaign. Your back story can be "I'm from Poland. I went to Russia." Not like it's far away.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Nac87
D-Bee

Unread post by Nac87 »

Well I think my players will survive either way I haven't had one peep about anyone being a TW (I do have many other oddball requests, but eh), mostly after my players in my old game won the Coalition war, crushed Tolkeen, resolved the Quebec war, Nuked the Fed of Magic, and overthrew the Coalition with the aid of the Republicans and the New Navy I want some new scenery and so with the advice here I have put in my Christmas list in with Kevin and the gang so we will see what we get.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Natasha wrote:For instance, Techno-Wizards are basically a North American class, .

This is one of those things that is stated in one place (RMB/RUE) and then immediately and completely invalidated in dozens of others.

Techno-Wizards are endemic to any setting where there is high-tech and magic. Three Galaxies has had them for tens or (possibly) hundreds of thousands of years. Same with the Splugorth. Atlanteans practiced Techno-Wizardry on earth in the past (so did Lemurians before advancing down a slightly alternate mix of tech and magic with their advanced Biomancy).

There are TWs in Europe, particularly in England and Tarnow.

There may not be a culture of TWs in Russia (as the Warlords would probably look askew at that, as they aren't particularly fond of magic users and dont like encouraging magic use amongst their citizens), but you dont even have to stretch to have a TW in a Russia-based campaign. Your back story can be "I'm from Poland. I went to Russia." Not like it's far away.

Catching up on the forums, so this is a little late.

There was more to my point than what you quoted. Still, I packed a number of conditions into "basically" perhaps too much and so to a fault.

Return to “Rifts®”