Telamachanics

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Luvia
D-Bee

Telamachanics

Unread post by Luvia »

so How would you deal with telemechanics and telemechanics operations interact with a power armor/robot vehicle/vehicle thats controlled through some kind of neural inerface.

would you let it work as normal? Give the user of the dni a save? Just make it immune like borgs?

Im interested in bot canon answers and just personal thoughts on the matter.

I lean towards allowing a save. the only dni im aware of is the russian one if there are others talk about them too.

Thanks for reading.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Telamachanics

Unread post by eliakon »

Luvia wrote:so How would you deal with telemechanics and telemechanics operations interact with a power armor/robot vehicle/vehicle thats controlled through some kind of neural inerface.

would you let it work as normal? Give the user of the dni a save? Just make it immune like borgs?

I lean towards allowing a save. the only dni im aware of is the russian one if there are others talk about them too.

Thanks for reading.

As far as I know the rules for Telemechanics have no separate distinction for neural interfaces...
...THAT said, in my games, if the system is being controlled by a neural interface then I treat the entire thing as being like cybernetics and its off limits to powers that can't affect cyborgs.
YES that makes them immune to Telemechanics and the like, but frankly its a pretty rare control set up, and its almost only found on rare vehicles that are usually going to be core to a class or character... so I don't really have an issue with it. The only place it is even remotely common is Russia... where the tech guys ARE supposed to be powerful and scary and waging a (successful) war against the supernatural... this can go a long way to explain their success, and why they use the system.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

eliakon wrote:As far as I know the rules for Telemechanics have no separate distinction for neural interfaces...
...THAT said, in my games, if the system is being controlled by a neural interface then I treat the entire thing as being like cybernetics and its off limits to powers that can't affect cyborgs.
YES that makes them immune to Telemechanics and the like, but frankly its a pretty rare control set up, and its almost only found on rare vehicles that are usually going to be core to a class or character... so I don't really have an issue with it. The only place it is even remotely common is Russia... where the tech guys ARE supposed to be powerful and scary and waging a (successful) war against the supernatural... this can go a long way to explain their success, and why they use the system.

I think this is a good take; direct neural interfaces make the device cybernetic, and so render it immune to telemechanics. I would note an exception... Hagan's suit in Mechanoids was designed to be used with Telemechanics. If he's ever knocked out of the system somehow (depleted of ISP, perhaps?), then another psychic could make use of the designed compatibility.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There are two answers that are needed to cover all the questions....

The powers would effect it normally....if the psi is the pilot of the PA/Bot/vehicle.

The the psi trying to take over control from the pilot inside, (there is no text directly covering this) then I would agree with Eli's comments about limitations of the psi powers that would work. <Maybe>With the power acting more like when it encounters an AI controlled >thing<.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

eliakon wrote:
Luvia wrote:so How would you deal with telemechanics and telemechanics operations interact with a power armor/robot vehicle/vehicle thats controlled through some kind of neural inerface.

Thanks for reading.

As far as I know the rules for Telemechanics have no separate distinction for neural interfaces...

Im willing to grant thats its rare. This is more for important characters and player characters. At this point im just thinking about it as thought excersise. Im also seeing what others find reasonable.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Luvia wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Thanks for reading.

Im willing to grant thats its rare. This is more for important characters and player characters. At this point im just thinking about it as thought excersise. Im also seeing what others find reasonable.

Read SB2: The Mechanoids.

For Telemechanics to be useful, ARCHIE had to design a special psychic interface helmet for Hagan.

Thats pretty much your answer. For it to work, you need a special interface that took ARCHIE to design.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Luvia wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Thanks for reading.

For Telemechanics to be useful, ARCHIE had to design a special psychic interface helmet for Hagan.

Thats pretty much your answer. For it to work, you need a special interface that took ARCHIE to design.

I agree that to grant combat bonuses you would need a special interface. I think the Noro probably produce such an interface and although the Phase World write-up for the Noro power armor does not mention such an interface I think I will add it to that armor in my game to help justify why that armor is so expensive compared to other more capable power armors. I think without an interface it gives you knowledge about how to operate the armor (no bonuses), knowledge that would allow you to repair it, perhaps 1st level Pilot Power Armor with the armor. Check out the Psi-Tech OCC from Psyscape it has a mental link to robots, power armor and vehicles which implies to me the baseline telemechanics power does not provide a "link" rather just knowledge.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

Would you guys find it exceptable fot highprofile cs strike teams have such an inerface. Assuming it makes the power aromor immune to telmechanics. By high profile I mean like special forces and the like. Higher end special forces at that. Like black vault strike teams in charge of relic capture or destruction. Maybe even some kind of lonestar team in charge of capturing high end alien technology for research. Now I dont assert any of this a canon just a personal idea.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Luvia wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Thanks for reading.

X designed does not mean only X can design. I think the Noro would be quite capable of building such an interface, they basically already did for their psionic power armor after all.
ARCHIE might be the best tech designer on Rifts Earth, but it says he's barely "catching up" to closer where the Three Galaxies have been for centuries.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Luvia wrote:Would you guys find it exceptable fot highprofile cs strike teams have such an inerface. Assuming it makes the power aromor immune to telmechanics. By high profile I mean like special forces and the like. Higher end special forces at that. Like black vault strike teams in charge of relic capture or destruction. Maybe even some kind of lonestar team in charge of capturing high end alien technology for research. Now I dont assert any of this a canon just a personal idea.

Depends on what level of bonuses you want to have the interface grant.
A simple interface? Just go to page 54 of the Bionics Sourcebook and simply assume that the "knocking off in ernest" has occurred and that the CS and Triax and maybe NG have the Cyberlink Vehicle Interfacing and presto your good to go.

If you want its easy to take a few of the bonuses off or lower them to represent earlier designs, cruder knock offs or what have you.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Luvia wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Thanks for reading.

X designed does not mean only X can design. I think the Noro would be quite capable of building such an interface, they basically already did for their psionic power armor after all.
ARCHIE might be the best tech designer on Rifts Earth, but it says he's barely "catching up" to closer where the Three Galaxies have been for centuries.

At no point did i say ONLY Archie could do it. I set Archie as the threshold, nothing more. So.... not really sure what youre on about.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Luvia wrote:
eliakon wrote:As far as I know the rules for Telemechanics have no separate distinction for neural interfaces...

At no point did i say ONLY Archie could do it. I set Archie as the threshold, nothing more. So.... not really sure what youre on about.

I would also point out that the Archie system is in no way, shape or form remotely like "For Telemechanics to be useful"
The system Archie has...
Is two separate systems.
System 1 allows Hagan to link with the robot which allows him a vast array of rather massive bonuses
System 2 makes the suit and pilot impossible to read with aura scans, telepathy ect
This is a world of difference from just being able to interface with Telemechanics.
It would be like claiming that anyone with out RPA: Elite doesn't know how to pilot a robot, or that only Electrical Engineers know anything about electronics.

Return to “Rifts®”