Sea Titan become a Godling...what?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Sea Titan become a Godling...what?

Unread post by LostOne »

So I'm rereading the Sea Titan and there is a paragraph that starts on the bottom of p113 and continues onto p114. It ends with: "or become outlaws, pirates, conquerors, tyrants and godlings."

How do you become a Godling if you weren't born as one? I assume they're co-opting the term but not referring to the RCC? So these guys are apparently going off to some primitive culture and setting themselves up as "gods" like the Pharaohs?
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Sea Titan become a Godling...what?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Really, the Sea Titans ARE Godlings in ability... they're not the RCC, but that's the level of power they're at. I could easily see one playing the God Game, and even gathering enough worship to enter the realms of gods.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

LostOne wrote:So I'm rereading the Sea Titan and there is a paragraph that starts on the bottom of p113 and continues onto p114. It ends with: "or become outlaws, pirates, conquerors, tyrants and godlings."

How do you become a Godling if you weren't born as one? I assume they're co-opting the term but not referring to the RCC? So these guys are apparently going off to some primitive culture and setting themselves up as "gods" like the Pharaohs?

Gods can empower mortals and make them Demi-gods and Godlings (essentially junior gods). See the Inca in SA2. Worthy Inca are raised up to join the pantheon.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

yeah. basically you become so famous for your deeds that you impress the pantheon, so they elevate you. exactly how is not explained (which is good, because that leaves it the purview of the GM.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Ok, I guess I don't think about that route. The ones I think of from mythology were born half-gods (Hercules and Perseus).
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

most examples from mythology are fairly obscure unless you'd done some in depth reading. Aeolus for example was a king of Thebes who got made the god of wind by zeus, for example. or Psyche, the goddess of the soul, who was just a princess that Eros fell in love with. etc. they were all fairly minor deities, though often the ones people worshiped more in the actual time period, since they were the patron deities of the more day to day things. for example, if you wanted good winds for a sea voyage, you gave offerings to Aeolus, because while Zeus also controlled the winds, he was the head deity and thus too important to care about individuals. in a way you could think of such patron gods as a sort of deific middleman between the big names like Zeus and the common mortals.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Knowing Telepath
D-Bee

Unread post by Knowing Telepath »

Gods can pretty much do whatever they want but godling would be correct in this case. Usually demigods were the offspring of a god and a mortal and a godling was a lesser god of the pantheon. So mortals could be raised to godling status. Demigods could also be raised to godling status. Or either of them can be elevated to “full” god status.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Sea titans basically are already godlings with a different skill set. It would not be to surprising that if one came across a god like the true incas they could be raised up in full with the full set of godling powers.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I seem to recall an NPC back story about mortal>godling but cannot remember if it was Thraxus or Coake's friend.

Pantheons said both Dionysus/Herakles began as Demigods so having a deity give you a boost helps.

I think one if the Spirit West goddesses, She Who Walks, began as mortal but got boosted.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Coake's Friend. It's the same point where he got his own Longevity.

Basically speaking it was the Finale of Kevin S.'s origional Palladium of Desires campaign: the group all got some kind of super magic artifact that could grant /one/ wish. So they all wished to become Gods. The end result was it didn't have enough power to make them all Gods so Kevin said basically the one who actually made the wish (the Monk PC) became a full fledged god and the rest rolled for various boosts like becoming a Godling/Demigod/supernatural/just vanilla immortality.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Recall origin of infi it was Monk, name or player?

Return to “Rifts®”