an interesting thought

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

an interesting thought

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

hmm.. Interesting thought. the New Navy's main tank in Rifts, which is what the USMC was using before the rifts, is named the "Merovingian". the Merovingian's were a dynasty from what is today modern France, in the 5th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merovingian_dynasty

They had absolutely nothing to do with America or anything remotely American. and i highly doubt the USMC would name a tank after a (relatively) minor character in the Matrix Trilogy.

but you know which group loves all things Merovingian? France. many French recognize that dynasty as the first step in the creation of France. (specifically the election of Clovis I to be king of the Franks.) so it would totally fit as the name of a French tank.

so could the USMC have been using a French design? wouldn't be the first time they'd adopted an oversea's vehicle for their own use, just look at the Merovingian Tank's modern day inspiration, the LAV-25, which is a variant of the Swiss MOWAG Piranha produced in Canada.
or their use of the Interim Fast Attack Vehicle, a version of the Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen 290, with the IFAV even produced in Austria in the same factories.
and i'm sure if we go back through the USMC's history we'd find more examples.

so i suspect that the USMC in chaos Earth/Rifts could well have been using a French Wheeled Tank Design.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: an interesting thought

Unread post by Shark_Force »

could be.

could also be something happened in between now and the coming of the rifts. though tbh, i'm not sure i'd expect the author to have written out an entire history between now and the coming of the rifts to name the tank after someone. still, could've been a general from some war we've never even heard of because it hasn't happened yet :P
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Shark_Force wrote:could be.

could also be something happened in between now and the coming of the rifts. though tbh, i'm not sure i'd expect the author to have written out an entire history between now and the coming of the rifts to name the tank after someone. still, could've been a general from some war we've never even heard of because it hasn't happened yet :P

Possibly..or the French save the Americans from some national crisis in the near-future, leading to a spate of French names entering US government/military usage..

"And we wish to thank the French people, and especially French computer experts, for shutting down Twitter for forty-eight hours..."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

A friend of mine, a Navy vet, and I spotted this to a year or so after the book came out so I wrote this into my campaigns. In facthen my players were in Europe they even found a cash of old French/EU military equipment. In among the British Psi-tech and pre-Rifts Triax tech were several French Merovingian.

taalismn wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:could be.

Possibly..or the French save the Americans from some national crisis in the near-future, leading to a spate of French names entering US government/military usage..

"And we wish to thank the French people, and especially French computer experts, for shutting down Twitter for forty-eight hours..."

Something like this is always possible but don't you think it is more likely that we would name a ship in honor of the event. Like the USS Churchill.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Well, the American military did adopt the Canone de 75 Mle 1897 ('The Famous French 75'), which was the breakthrough modern artillery piece of the century. The US Army used it from 1917 until 1945, and even adapted it for use on B-25 anti-shipping aircraft, so the idea of the US military adopting a major piece of foreign-designed equipment is not without precedent .
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

glitterboy2098 wrote:hmm.. Interesting thought. the New Navy's main tank in Rifts, which is what the USMC was using before the rifts, is named the "Merovingian". the Merovingian's were a dynasty from what is today modern France, in the 5th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merovingian_dynasty

They had absolutely nothing to do with America or anything remotely American. and i highly doubt the USMC would name a tank after a (relatively) minor character in the Matrix Trilogy.

but you know which group loves all things Merovingian? France. many French recognize that dynasty as the first step in the creation of France. (specifically the election of Clovis I to be king of the Franks.) so it would totally fit as the name of a French tank.

so could the USMC have been using a French design? wouldn't be the first time they'd adopted an oversea's vehicle for their own use, just look at the Merovingian Tank's modern day inspiration, the LAV-25, which is a variant of the Swiss MOWAG Piranha produced in Canada.
or their use of the Interim Fast Attack Vehicle, a version of the Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen 290, with the IFAV even produced in Austria in the same factories.
and i'm sure if we go back through the USMC's history we'd find more examples.

so i suspect that the USMC in chaos Earth/Rifts could well have been using a French Wheeled Tank Design.

Maybe it was named after USMC Brigadier General Eliot Meroveus Doriot a distant relative of Georges Doriot in WWII (obviously a made up character) but I find it highly unlikely that the US would authorize a purchase of a tank from a sub par MDC material manufacturer.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I'm betting very heavily it came from the Author or Artist liking the name from the Matrix movie.

Some people are trying a lil hard and looking a bit 'too' deep into this.

Having talked with palladium artists behind the scenes about vehicles and names for them and stuff then seeing it end up in print... It's not always as deep as some might it to be.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'm betting very heavily it came from the Author or Artist liking the name from the Matrix movie.

Having talked with palladium artists behind the scenes about vehicles and names for them and stuff then seeing it end up in print... It's not always as deep as some might it to be.

you'd lose that bet, since WB7 came out in 1995, while the first matrix film didn't come out till 1999, and matrix Reloaded (with the character in question) came out in 2003. which means CJ Carella named the tank almost a full decade before the films. my reference was an in setting one, since it is highly probable said films did occur in the rifts timeline.

and no i don't think we are getting 'too deep'.. using cues from the existing material to speculate on setting elements not currently in existance is the best way to expand a setting, and can give GM's some ideas to fill in those gaps.
and having talked to the PB staff a lot myself, i agree sometimes it isn't very deep, but that doesn't prevent the use of what was written to determine larger setting elements, since sometimes this sort of thing is added as plot and/or setting hooks.

and in closer review of the WB7 write up, it does say the design was a french one that the USMC picked up. (never read and post when tired, i guess), which of course makes me wonder what the French were originally using it for, and what the french MDC military looked like at the end of the golden age.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

If so that's great. But it's not a uniquely "French military" thing or pertaining only to 'real world' stuff.

There's some sort of tie in to Christianity, and immortal kings with.... memory isfailing me. Something about keeping their hair or losing their power or something. There's also ties in to the holy grail.
"Twyman has discovered that the bloodline of the Merovingians stems not only from Christ and Mary Magdalene, but in fact, goes back to the god-kings and queens of the antediluvian world. She has also determined the nature of the physical object called "the Holy Grail" - a magnificent structure hidden beneath Rennes-le-Chateau, France. And within this structure is perhaps the greatest treasure of human history: the grave of a sacred king named Cain, who brought kingship and the wisdom of the gods down from Heaven. Throughout history, the secret of the Grail, the tradition of the Grail, and the bloodline of the Grail have inspired the activities of secret societies, and guided the destiny of humanity. It has been at the center of a struggle both cosmic and terrestrial that has lasted for thousands of years.

In the pages of this volume, Twyman reveals the answers to dozens of questions that have remained unanswered for decades, centuries, and even millennia. She deciphers nearly all of the many clues pertaining to this mystery that have been left by the Priory of Sion, Berenger Sauniere, the Knights Templar, and the Freemasons. But more than that, she has decoded a tangled web of clues found in history, world mythology, Judeo-Christian scriptures, and the traditions of the occult, resulting in a bold reinterpretation of the story of human civilization. And the outcome is not what you would expect. The villains and protagonists are not who you might presume them to be. For the Holy Grail is a treasure both cursed and sacred, bestowing knowledge both of Good and of Evil."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PGN7EG/re ... TF8&btkr=1

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Pepsi, i don't see what that has to do with anything in this thread.

since we know it was french, i'd guess that it in the pre-rifts french military it filled a role like the AMX-10C today.. Recon and Tank Destroyer duties. they likely had something akin to the IronHammer tank as their main MBT (though the IHA tanks were probably American Army designs.. but like how the AMX Leclerc has similarities to the to the M1 Abrams, the IHA tank can probably be used as a comparison here too)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:Pepsi, i don't see what that has to do with anything in this thread.

since we know it was french, i'd guess that it in the pre-rifts french military it filled a role like the AMX-10C today.. Recon and Tank Destroyer duties. they likely had something akin to the IronHammer tank as their main MBT (though the IHA tanks were probably American Army designs.. but like how the AMX Leclerc has similarities to the to the M1 Abrams, the IHA tank can probably be used as a comparison here too)

So... as a land based armored transport :) would have been better off saying it was a modern AAV-7. someone just like the look of wheeled tanks me thinks.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Zer0 Kay wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:Pepsi, i don't see what that has to do with anything in this thread.

So... as a land based armored transport :) would have been better off saying it was a modern AAV-7. someone just like the look of wheeled tanks me thinks.

except the AAV-7 is a troop transport, and the Merovingian has no troop compartment. it is a wheeled tank, basically. something the current marines Corps does not use (instead preferring to use full MBT's like the M1A1 Abrams.)

the APC type vehicle is the Iwo Jima hovercraft, which is their AAV-7 equivalent.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I'm saying the name very likely came from sounding cool and it's mythic origins. Not some obscure real world french thing that a Rifts author dug up some where.

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Isn't Alex some sort of Historical Military guy? It probably came from him.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

except the AAV-7 is a troop transport, and the Merovingian has no troop compartment. it is a wheeled tank, basically. something the current marines Corps does not use (instead preferring to use full MBT's like the M1A1 Abrams.)

the APC type vehicle is the Iwo Jima hovercraft, which is their AAV-7 equivalent.

Good point. Still don't like the idea though.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

... how is this even a thread?

It IS French vehicle. The FIRST SENTENCE of its description calls it out as such:

A French design adopted by the US Navy shortly before the Great Cataclysm,

Literally the first sentence.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:... how is this even a thread?

It IS French vehicle. The FIRST SENTENCE of its description calls it out as such:

A French design adopted by the US Navy shortly before the Great Cataclysm,

Literally the first sentence.

What... no, It's the first sentence. :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

hey, even you can forget a single line in a book from time to time. when i posted this said book was not immediately accessible to me at my location. and i did update later on.. though by that point people had started arguing over it.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:I'm betting very heavily it came from the Author or Artist liking the name from the Matrix movie.

you'd lose that bet, since WB7 came out in 1995, while the first matrix film didn't come out till 1999, and matrix Reloaded (with the character in question) came out in 2003. which means CJ Carella named the tank almost a full decade before the films. my reference was an in setting one, since it is highly probable said films did occur in the rifts timeline.

See I just figured the second matrix movie was so bad that its awfulness reverberated throughout time, even influencing people before it was made.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Actually there is a pattern to how the military names some things.(even if they use some one else design they rename it.)

Tanks and APC are named after US generals.
So the reason for the name could be a they had a general by that name in the USMC.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”