Paired Weapons question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Paired Weapons question

Unread post by Mack »

Suppose Wayne the Warrior has WP Sword and WP Axe, and he dual wields one of each. He would get the parry bonus from each WP, right?

Now suppose Wrex the Warrior has just WP Sword, but he dual wields a pair of swords. Should he get the WP's parry bonus doubled?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Slight001
Hero

Re: Paired Weapons question

Unread post by Slight001 »

Mack wrote:Suppose Wayne the Warrior has WP Sword and WP Axe, and he dual wields one of each. He would get the parry bonus from each WP, right?

Not in my games. He has to choose which weapon he'll use for the parry... and then he only gets the bonuses from training for that weapon... plus the usual class/pp and other general +parry bonuses.

Mack wrote:Now suppose Wrex the Warrior has just WP Sword, but he dual wields a pair of swords. Should he get the WP's parry bonus doubled?

I wouldn't.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Don't you also need WP Paired weapons?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mack wrote:Suppose Wayne the Warrior has WP Sword and WP Axe, and he dual wields one of each. He would get the parry bonus from each WP, right?

He would get the appropriate parry bonus for each weapon when parrying with that weapon.
So if he parries with the axe, he gets the Parry bonuses appropriate for when he uses an axe.
If he parries with his sword, then he gets his sword bonuses.

Now suppose Wrex the Warrior has just WP Sword, but he dual wields a pair of swords. Should he get the WP's parry bonus doubled?

No.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

As a house rule I might allow the parry bonuses to stack if using the twin parry against a single attack. This of course costs an action.
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

Axelmania wrote:As a house rule I might allow the parry bonuses to stack if using the twin parry against a single attack. This of course costs an action.

+1 that if I allowed it, it would cost an action
Last edited by masslegion on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

He would get the appropriate parry bonus for each weapon when parrying with that weapon.
So if he parries with the axe, he gets the Parry bonuses appropriate for when he uses an axe.
If he parries with his sword, then he gets his sword bonuses.

No.

Seconded.
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

masslegion wrote:
Axelmania wrote:As a house rule I might allow the parry bonuses to stack if using the twin parry against a single attack. This of course costs an action.

+1 that if I allowed it, it would cost an action

Additionally I have the player declare their desired defensive action (dodge, parry, simultaneous strike, etc.) before the dice are rolled and I as the GM do the same with the NPCs.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I would allow a post-roll declaration at -10. Preroll declarations to avoid a -10.

Return to “Rifts®”