Magic and sphinxs, a question of thumbs

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Magic and sphinxs, a question of thumbs

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Alright ive got a certain issue and im not sure if this has been answered anywhere before...can sphinxs use their paws as hands?

I ask because if they cant several avenues of magic become far less attractive to these magic scholars and a grave issue arises...how does the sphinx in the conversion book who is reading turn the page
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Magic and sphinxs, a question of thumbs

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmartree wrote:Alright ive got a certain issue and im not sure if this has been answered anywhere before...can sphinxs use their paws as hands?

I ask because if they cant several avenues of magic become far less attractive to these magic scholars and a grave issue arises...how does the sphinx in the conversion book who is reading turn the page

The spell manipulate object :lol:
I would say that the question is a mixed bag.
IMHO They probably can use their paws... but they are not as nimble or dexterous as a full hand. Thus they tend to not go in for fine motor skill based classes.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmartree
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:The spell manipulate object :lol:
IMHO They probably can use their paws... but they are not as nimble or dexterous as a full hand. Thus they tend to not go in for fine motor skill based classes.

:shock: where is that spell!? i don't remember it at all...

and so most crafting classes or anything involving writing or similar is hard for them...kinda sucks, then again the rifts magic classes have expanded quite a bit so I guess its less of a concern
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I pretty much agree with Eli.

Fed. of Magic (non-revised), RBook of Magic, & RUE. 2nd level spell.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I pretty much agree with Eli.

Fed. of Magic (non-revised), RBook of Magic, & RUE. 2nd level spell.

thanks, i have to reread that now *sigh* so hard to memorize all the rpg stuff when real life wants you
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Nightmartree wrote:Alright ive got a certain issue and im not sure if this has been answered anywhere before...can sphinxs use their paws as hands?

Yes to the extent their limited dexterity allows. Which should be enough to turn the page in a book. Though they might have other means to turn the page (like using their tongue, nose, or tail).

Otherwise they could use magic (Telekenisis, Manipulate Object, Metamorphosis, etc), or Psionics (% is as humans, so some are likely to have applicable powers), assistants, possess magical artifacts to assist them, or they have fashioned mundane tools to help them read books.

Magical casting might require them to adopt different gestures or engage in more mental effort (at least based on casting magic underwater found in WB7). Construct orientated magic (TW, Eco-Wizard, Summoning/Circle, Diabolist, etc) is a known area of interest to them, so they likely have found some way to function to become proficient in the class.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Nightmartree wrote:

and so most crafting classes or anything involving writing or similar is hard for them...kinda sucks, then again the rifts magic classes have expanded quite a bit so I guess its less of a concern

there is a spell telekinesis been in the game since it was created.
It goes worse when you relies they can be TWs.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Blue_Lion wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:

there is a spell telekinesis been in the game since it was created.
It goes worse when you relies they can be TWs.

the TW thing is actually what bothered me about them, i mean...paws don't seem like they're conductive to that class

maybe they direct their sphinx obsessed minions? which are totally played up in their write up

(and then the evil necromancer sphinx said "someone give me a hand")
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

For real fun, picture a giant summoner. How big is your circle made of powdered silver, again?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Mark Hall wrote:For real fun, picture a giant summoner. How big is your circle made of powdered silver, again?

Wait, did you remember to mix it with wax?

*someone opens a door and a draft goes by*

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Great, now all I can think of is this.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.

Return to “Rifts®”