How much can a horse carry and pull?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

How much can a horse carry and pull?

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Trying to figure out a good rule of thumb for how much weight a mount like a horse with SN PS of 30 and SN PE of 24 can carry on its back and pull in a wagon or such?

One thing lists a creature's lift and pull as PS X 600 (Hell horse mystic russia), and others don't give much of an idea just a flat out carry 4 tons and pull 16 tons or something like that.

So anyone know where i can find some reasonable information for calculating such info? :?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: How much can a horse carry and pull?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Was going to suggest New West (pg72) as they have horse stats, but they don't appear to be of any help as they don't consider PS (and the couple of mounts later in the book have variable PS, but fixed carry/pull).

All the SN PE would do IINM is determine when it could "tire out", which being SN would be never.

Pull can be difficult, but I would think that the carry would be the normal PS lift/carry rules. I'd look for an example(s) for the "carry" and "pull" to determine a ratio and go with that.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

A draft horse can pull a dead weight along the ground (draft) equal to 1/10 their body weight for 8 hours a day. For short distances, they can pull ten to fifteen times as much. The fully loaded wagon will only draft at 300 - 400 pounds on flat ground.

I found this on a site about the health and care of teams of work horses.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The stats for horses (various types) can be found in the PF: Monsters & Animals book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

VR Dragon wrote:Trying to figure out a good rule of thumb for how much weight a mount like a horse with SN PS of 30 and SN PE of 24 can carry on its back and pull in a wagon or such?

One thing lists a creature's lift and pull as PS X 600 (Hell horse mystic russia), and others don't give much of an idea just a flat out carry 4 tons and pull 16 tons or something like that.

So anyone know where i can find some reasonable information for calculating such info? :?

I think there is a mention in rmb or rue where quadrupeds have x4 or x8 for their lift/ carry stats.
The cart or wagon should have a capacity and effective weight
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Thanks but i am trying to figure out something for a Supernatural horse type creature. How much can they do and such.
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

VR Dragon wrote:Thanks but i am trying to figure out something for a Supernatural horse type creature. How much can they do and such.

Stats for what supernatural animals can carry in real life will be hard to find.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Eagle wrote:
VR Dragon wrote:Thanks but i am trying to figure out something for a Supernatural horse type creature. How much can they do and such.

Stats for what supernatural animals can carry in real life will be hard to find.

I was asking about for in Rifts setting.
BlueLion
Wanderer

Unread post by BlueLion »

Based on the definition of horse power I would say between 275 and 550 pounds.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/horsepower
Horsepower is defined as the power that a horse gives when pulling, and it is used informally to mean power, or is the power needed to raise 550 pounds a distance of one foot in one second or the power needed to move 33,000 pounds a distance of one foot in one minute.
Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/horsepowe ... 0e5sVtc.99

https://www.britannica.com/science/horsepower

Horsepower, the common unit of power; i.e., the rate at which work is done. In the British Imperial System, one horsepower equals 33,000 foot-pounds of work per minute—that is, the power necessary to lift a total mass of 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute. This value was adopted by the Scottish engineer James Watt in the late 18th century, after experiments with strong dray horses, and is actually about 50 percent more than the rate that an average horse can sustain for a working day. The electrical equivalent of one horsepower is 746 watts in the International System of Units (SI), and the heat equivalent is 2,545 BTU (British Thermal Units) per hour. Another unit of power is the metric horsepower, which equals 4,500 kilogram-metres per minute (32,549 foot-pounds per minute), or 0.9863 horsepower.
In closing I would like to say "Will eat for food"

Breath mint?
Have a nice day.

Now where did I put that Sword?
Yes my spelling is bad, but that is the least of my problems.

Is it bed time yet.

Return to “Rifts®”