Techno Wizard idea builds...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Techno Wizard idea builds...

Unread post by VR Dragon »

I was curious about what ideas, items, armors, weapons, gizmos mounts, robots and whatever else you others may have come up with using or converting over to RUE building rules.

I came up my TW Particle blade. Its my favorite so far.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Re: Techno Wizard idea builds...

Unread post by Riftmaker »

I like making the most from the least. Chipwell warmonger suits make a great base. Why TW mod a glitterboy when a TW modded VW minnie bus has so much more character.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Riftmaker wrote:I like making the most from the least. Chipwell warmonger suits make a great base. Why TW mod a glitterboy when a TW modded VW minnie bus has so much more character.

That sounds interesting ....

Chipwell Warmonger?
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

VR Dragon wrote:
Riftmaker wrote:I like making the most from the least. Chipwell warmonger suits make a great base. Why TW mod a glitterboy when a TW modded VW minnie bus has so much more character.

That sounds interesting ....

Chipwell Warmonger?

Its a VERY low quality suit of power armor in the mercenaries book . The Challenger suit works good too.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Oh found it. That would be cool with some magic to convert the SDC to equal MDC. Isn't there a earth magic spell that does that?
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

I've considered a techno wizard revolver, the revolver being one part of the device and the "bullets" being the spells, triggered by the hammer forming a connection with their base

Also anyone considered spells in a vape?i mean, dragons breath or something, exhale a cloud of smoke, take a puff and then breath without air just some ideas of "lung related" applications
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

Personally, I like strange devices that do useful and fun tricks. Some of my favorites include:
Poof Gloves: A gloves to teleport away objects.
Paralysis Gun (With an added Energy Disruption): Paralyze targets, including robots!
Stealth suit: Shrink, fly, and invisible
Fear Mine: Traps people in a room and confronts them with horrific illusions.
Belt of Bindings: Create bindings for prisoners on demand.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Force Multiplier: effectively "hard" version of Multiple Image with every image solid. Great way to increase your numbers, and enemies can't be sure which one is real.

Time Hole Workshop: Put your entire workshop into a "time hole" (per the spell) for "faster" construction time (relative to everyone else)...
Nightmartree
Adventurer

TW Minion Maker
A joint creation between a godling and a techno wizard based upon a spell developed from the divine power to create minions, every one of these devices is unique to their makers and the minion that being designed to serve them, each of this devices is a large affair requiring multiple secret and high level spells enabling them to store the massive ppe required to generate a living being from magic

one of the spells in this is homemade, and if your dm ever allowed it...well beer, pizza whatever thank you is needed
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

TW objects already detailed in the forums….

The White Rabbit's Watch
TW Lumber Mill
Shadow Kitten Launcher

Those three are the only ones I can think of right now.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

VR Dragon wrote:Oh found it. That would be cool with some magic to convert the SDC to equal MDC. Isn't there a earth magic spell that does that?

There are several common invocations that do that. Off the top of my head Giant and I think sorcerers furry(SOT). Giant could turn the PA in to a robot sized PA.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

You could purify water with a ley line powered TW device. Infinitely useful for a community, and creates a lot of goodwill out in the boonies.
More costly, but something that just creates drinkable water.
Powering a town off PPE can be done pretty easy as well.
basically, quality of life inventions are awesome for TW work.

As far as gear/weapons for adventurers...
-The magic revolver is something I liked as well. Basically a modded Thundergun. Any silver rounds acts as thundergun nomrally, but you could make ice rounds (equal to TW freeze shotgun), fire rounds (like the ones from South America), or if you're feeling extra squirrely: Annihilation rounds, because why not?
-The standards: exo-skeleton with SN PS gloves, SN SPD boots, Eyes of Wolf helmet, Invulnerability main body.
-TW NE Forcefield that creates an Imperious to Energy barrier (so you can protect your armor and weapons from pew-pew)
-TW Cyborg horse (NS SPD, PS), Dragon Breath attack, there's a spell that's basically a super knockdown that i forget the name of that's great to use as a charge to overrun things, for cool factor you have it Thunder Clap when it forechops.

Though one of the favs was a Skelebot TW modded. Johnny Bot, green mohawk, chains, silver edge magic vibro blades, plays Dead Kennedy's while it fights, sub-particle acceleration in the mouth to do "boomer" beam attack, the chains have "leaves", vibro razors on every 3rd link so it can do rending attacks and get kills on constriction easier. Also did an Cloud of Smoke from the mouth and eyes that it could see in, to confuse enemies when outnumbered. A TW made it to be their bodyguard, worked out pretty well.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Blue_Lion
Knight

I like the idea of using magic to make what a tech device do better like putting resurrection on a AED/shock paddles, healing on nano-heal bots or fuel flame on a fuel injector. COA in a break system for a quick full stop, sustain on EBA.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Blue_Lion wrote:I like the idea of using magic to make what a tech device do better like putting resurrection on a AED/shock paddles, healing on nano-heal bots or fuel flame on a fuel injector. COA in a break system for a quick full stop, sustain on EBA.

yup, as long as you got the juice it can all be pretty effective. The real trick is to have full tech back up for when you're low on PPE. It's not something that seems to be included, as in the setting expects you to limit yourself to magic power to run everything...but honestly this is techno-wizardry. I can't see a reason you could't have back-up system that works on a "less effective" pure tech way.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Alrik Vas wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:I like the idea of using magic to make what a tech device do better like putting resurrection on a AED/shock paddles, healing on nano-heal bots or fuel flame on a fuel injector. COA in a break system for a quick full stop, sustain on EBA.

yup, as long as you got the juice it can all be pretty effective. The real trick is to have full tech back up for when you're low on PPE. It's not something that seems to be included, as in the setting expects you to limit yourself to magic power to run everything...but honestly this is techno-wizardry. I can't see a reason you could't have back-up system that works on a "less effective" pure tech way.

also guys remember, just cause its magic doesn't mean it automatically is a good idea, your gonna tell me your stopping on a dime with COA and you DIDN'T reinforce the vehicle to handle the stresses of stopping instantly from 100 mph?.........

so unless your also using a spell to reinforce your frame somehow...that likely needs some tech

Also low on PPE? use our brand new Talisman inspired batteries! save your PPE for a rainy day! or install it in our new TW Rain Generator to MAKE a rainy day!

WARNING: We are not responsible for the injury or death resulting from improper (or proper) use of our Rain Generator gear, please see article 5 section 6 of the company charter for "Random acts of violence vs the undead and why its not our business"
Last edited by Nightmartree on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Nightmartree wrote:so unless your also using a spell to reinforce your frame somehow...that likely needs some tech

Pfft, we're all MDC here. 100-0mph crash can't do damage to MDC. :P

Though they may have conflicting rules on the matter, in truth. :bandit:

Nightmartree
Adventurer

Alrik Vas wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:so unless your also using a spell to reinforce your frame somehow...that likely needs some tech

na, the ever popular MDC is expensive, you think your engine block and wiring is MDC? ya right that's all sdc and cheap, the mdc is your weapons and armor

also human brain isn't mdc, you just rattled it good probably
Alrik Vas
Knight

See, I think like that, but the game doesn't wholly support it.

Nightmartree
Adventurer

Alrik Vas wrote:See, I think like that, but the game doesn't wholly support it.

maybe so but it doesn't deny it either, and honestly it doesn't make sense for the entire thing to be mdc, i mean mdc wiring? how would that work? it would likely be too hard to send electricity down the wires. or hey, your pilots chair is mdc!...maybe? i just don't see mdc being used for everything when you don't have to, probably even most kingdoms on earth don't use mdc for more than key parts of their machines, like it may have a mdc door on the pilots compartment, but why have one on the bathroom?

of course coalition being the tech heavy super power they are probably have mdc toilet doors, toilets and toilet paper...cause they can afford that. But that small kingdom you come across making knock off robots and apcs?...ya i think once you get inside there is a pretty good chance your wilks laser pistol just made a line from here to the pilots chair without stopping
Alrik Vas
Knight

Nightmartree wrote:of course coalition being the tech heavy super power they are probably have mdc toilet doors, toilets and toilet paper...cause they can afford that. But that small kingdom you come across making knock off robots and apcs?...ya i think once you get inside there is a pretty good chance your wilks laser pistol just made a line from here to the pilots chair without stopping

I really don't want to live in an Empire without MDC toilet tissue. I am not a barbarian.

Nightmartree
Adventurer

Alrik Vas wrote:I really don't want to live in an Empire without MDC toilet tissue. I am not a barbarian.

this sentence should be immortalized forever
Blue_Lion
Knight

Honestly most ground vehicles are not going to be able to go 100 MPH safely acrossed most terrain. Typically their is no interstate system, so you going to be going less than 35MPH.

Nightmartree
Adventurer

Blue_Lion wrote:Honestly most ground vehicles are not going to be able to go 100 MPH safely acrossed most terrain. Typically their is no interstate system, so you going to be going less than 35MPH.

maybe so, but if you did something like combine a circle of fire, something else that deals with fire/plasma for dmg, maybe a wall of force, then a blizzard or rain spell inside that "defensive barrier" ....you'll make your own road of molten rock and glassed earth that is pushed smooth by your wall and mdc destruction, cooled off by the rain/snow so it hardens and well, visibility is gone, but just drive till your "can't be destroyed by physical attacks" wall makes you stop because you hit something you can't melt right through.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Nightmartree wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Honestly most ground vehicles are not going to be able to go 100 MPH safely acrossed most terrain. Typically their is no interstate system, so you going to be going less than 35MPH.

maybe so, but if you did something like combine a circle of fire, something else that deals with fire/plasma for dmg, maybe a wall of force, then a blizzard or rain spell inside that "defensive barrier" ....you'll make your own road of molten rock and glassed earth that is pushed smooth by your wall and mdc destruction, cooled off by the rain/snow so it hardens and well, visibility is gone, but just drive till your "can't be destroyed by physical attacks" wall makes you stop because you hit something you can't melt right through.

Or you get stuck in a massive pot hole fall off a cliff or any number of other problems happen.

Nightmartree
Adventurer

Blue_Lion wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:

Or you get stuck in a massive pot hole fall off a cliff or any number of other problems happen.

true, but honestly if you've done all this too it already? have some fly magic put on, or drive it based on feedback from aerial drones

actually this would be one heck of a leyline clearing machine, just bulldoze anything in front of you while your drones keep an eye on the area perpetually because they're leyline powered.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

How about these:
A Circle of Flame powered cooking griddle.

Techno-Wizard Replacement Limbs. Utilizing a combination of technology and magic, this strap-on attachment creates a ghostly limb out of mystical force. Stats are as normal, and cannot be upgraded like cybernetic limbs.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

wyrmraker wrote:How about these:
A Circle of Flame powered cooking griddle.

Techno-Wizard Replacement Limbs. Utilizing a combination of technology and magic, this strap-on attachment creates a ghostly limb out of mystical force. Stats are as normal, and cannot be upgraded like cybernetic limbs.
there are two bionics in the Canada book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I never really liked the TW bionics because of their tendency to reduce a mage's PPE pool. I designed the TW Replacement Limbs to get around that.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Alrik Vas wrote:

Just because you use a spell does't mean you have to use the full power of the spell. I think the RMB had an example of that.

TW Replicator (primary spell - Sustain) Never go hungry again! (prices vary based on the number of pre-loaded recipes)

TW Potion Maker (a coffee maker that can "brew" potions based on pre-made cartrdges)
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

TW Soldier Printer: A 3-d printer that combines Power Bolt, Magic Warrior, Create Steel, and Create Golem to spawn super-soldier guardians who are tough in melee and have natural ranged attacks. Powered off a leyline or a pyramid (and can't function elsewhere due to needing a constant supply of massive amounts of PPE) and great for defense. For flavor I like the idea that they have a solid metal skeleton, a semi-transparent energy body, and medieval-looking equipment.

Zombitron Nanocyte Tank: Base form is a big glass tube filled with goo and a supply of nanorobots (as we established in another thread; they're a thing, juicers and other stuff have got 'em). Uses the Create Zombie and Instill Knowledge invocations to take a relatively fresh corpse and re-animate it. The zombie is instilled with whatever basic skill "programs" are needed (and can be made by the Techno-wizard) from tending livestock to working an assembly-line and physically re-shaped into a non-threatening, plastic-faced form (think "Ken Doll") that is mildly creepy but clean rather than disgusting and rotted. It serves until the protein-based soft nanites run out of resources, at which point the body goes to the nearest waste deposit (or simply digs a hole) and "decomissions itself" by breaking down into a mushy pile of organic material.

The Watering Can: Developed with the help of a nature-themed caster (there are several with "make plants grow fast" spells/tricks) this watering can and/or hose attachment causes plants to grow impossibly fast. Great for helping kids "train" their PPE reserves, every morning and evening at school recess each one takes a turn watering a plant in the nearby garden.

Since we're on the topic, how about quirks? Perhaps we could create quirky side-effects for each others' designs for when the creation roll calls for it?

A gentle reminder: We don't want to rain on anyone's parade. The whole idea of quirks is, "it works, it doesn't have horrible side-effects that make it unusable, but it has something off about it that's fun and/or funny."

Belt of Bindings: Requires an incantation to properly produce manacles, you must put on/take off a pair of mirrored shades and make some terrible one-liner. YEAAAAAAAAH!!!.

TW-modded minibus: is alive and has the personality of a hippie and/or a horse. Demands weed and "grows" psychadelic decorations inside and outside of itself.

Stealth Suit: Attracts ants. They aren't hostile, they just want to get really close to you, like, all the time.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

boring7 wrote:TW Soldier Printer
Zombitron Nanocyte Tank
Since we're on the topic, how about quirks? Perhaps we could create quirky side-effects for each others' designs for when the creation roll calls for it?

cool minion makers, I approve :ok:

Quirks:

Flower power: somehow asking that nature mage to help you make a tw device went wrong, all the projectiles look like flowers!
Dragon Fart: your plasma/fire weapons emit a horrible yellow smoke that smells as bad (or worse) than a dragons fart.
Genies Lamp: you have to rub your device to "warm it up" before it'll work
Dimensionally powered device: Your device draws power from another dimension! NEVER runs out of energy/PPE in fact you have to expend PPE to shut it off! leylines and nexus points disrupt this connection with their ambient energy and there is a 50% chance the device works as a "normal" technowizard device on them, if not the device shuts down! until removed from the area
Possessed!: your device seems to be "possessed" random bursts of magic triggering it at unknown times, its not always where you left it, or more! 1-20% chance this is an actual entity of some form, 21-40% chance the magic has gone wild with unpredictable effects, and 41% onwards its a totally unknown factor! (I bet its just that group of pixies who watched you build it though...)
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Nightmartree wrote:
boring7 wrote:TW Soldier Printer
Zombitron Nanocyte Tank

cool minion makers, I approve :ok:

Quirks:

Flower power: somehow asking that nature mage to help you make a tw device went wrong, all the projectiles look like flowers!
Dragon Fart: your plasma/fire weapons emit a horrible yellow smoke that smells as bad (or worse) than a dragons fart.
Genies Lamp: you have to rub your device to "warm it up" before it'll work
Dimensionally powered device: Your device draws power from another dimension! NEVER runs out of energy/PPE in fact you have to expend PPE to shut it off! leylines and nexus points disrupt this connection with their ambient energy and there is a 50% chance the device works as a "normal" technowizard device on them, if not the device shuts down! until removed from the area
Possessed!: your device seems to be "possessed" random bursts of magic triggering it at unknown times, its not always where you left it, or more! 1-20% chance this is an actual entity of some form, 21-40% chance the magic has gone wild with unpredictable effects, and 41% onwards its a totally unknown factor! (I bet its just that group of pixies who watched you build it though...)

I like it, though the flower guns compel me to post one of these videos.
Blue_Lion
Knight

I was always fond of replacing the NG bots crotch guns with a CoA cannon. AKA the money shot.
Another fun one is Pocket disk recorder + create scroll.(get to make scrolls on micro disk that when you play them cast the spell that is recorded.)

Nightmartree
Adventurer

boring7 wrote:I like it, though the flower guns compel me to post one of these videos.

oh now THAT is a quirk i'd like to see

and now i'm going to go write up some form of seed shooting alien plant weaponry that grows flowers on hit
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Nightmartree wrote:
boring7 wrote:I like it, though the flower guns compel me to post one of these videos.

and now i'm going to go write up some form of seed shooting alien plant weaponry that grows flowers on hit

Presumably the important part is having toughness necessary for the roots to put holes in people/things as they grow. Lot of different methods spring to mind:

-Magic gun made by a Druid. Don't really need further explanation.
-Weapon (alien in origin OR eco-wizardry) that uses a recently-discovered relative of the Steeltree (MDC wooden tree) that uses seeds from the Dinosaur Swamps. Perhaps it was brought along with a fresh D-bee invasion from the Steeltrees' home dimension.
-Seeds that are gene-jacked mix of Steeltree, Kudzu, and Roses created by any science-based group (but presumably Lone Star).
-A new Millenium Tree has been growing in the New West and is ready to start being a territorial player. It has adopted certain aspects of its birthplace, like a love of wild-west revolvers. As such it spawns and gifts seed "bullets" to its gunslingers.

And NOW I'm thinking ofthat weapon from The Droids, god I watched weird ****.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

boring7 wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:

Presumably the important part is having toughness necessary for the roots to put holes in people/things as they grow. Lot of different methods spring to mind:

-Magic gun made by a Druid. Don't really need further explanation.
-Weapon (alien in origin OR eco-wizardry) that uses a recently-discovered relative of the Steeltree (MDC wooden tree) that uses seeds from the Dinosaur Swamps. Perhaps it was brought along with a fresh D-bee invasion from the Steeltrees' home dimension.
-Seeds that are gene-jacked mix of Steeltree, Kudzu, and Roses created by any science-based group (but presumably Lone Star).
-A new Millenium Tree has been growing in the New West and is ready to start being a territorial player. It has adopted certain aspects of its birthplace, like a love of wild-west revolvers. As such it spawns and gifts seed "bullets" to its gunslingers.

And NOW I'm thinking ofthat weapon from The Droids, god I watched weird ****.

I went with either Magic weapons by druids or Alien Plant Things as the designers. Also you have 3 options for seed bullets growing plants on enemy, either its a mdc seed fired and once the "Shells" are cracked (both enemy armor and your own seed) the seed grows a plant right there, option two magic makes it a temporary MD plant when fired/rooting possibly with say...lifedrain on it so you shoot the mdc armor and the plant grows in to apply the spell to the guy inside. Option three is an actual mdc super plant you fire and fertilize as you shoot it so it has a super growth spurt after it hits its new "bed"...actually a very very nasty potential weapon.

I may have a counter to the mechanoids...arm a plant species with option 3, use plants that extract and process MD materials through their roots as they grow and boom, shoot a mechanoid grow a tree, shoot a mechanoid ship grow a forest...though I bet they could harvest the trees and send em straight to the forges for processing into usable materials. Course if the plants aren't humanoid this never happens, and if they are they still lose...unless...hey super plant based technology in the hands of a plant species? GROW OUR PLANTY LEGIONS GROW!!!!!...*cough cough*...I have no relation to any organizations supporting our plant overlords in their plans to dominate the earth.

Actually I kinda got sidetracked once I started writing them, haven't made any actual weapons cause there were so many categories of plant firepower to cover, Energy beams, laser, fire, electricity, seed/solid shot, bio warfare. Three different ways a plant weapon can be reloaded depending on type and design. I think too much.

Return to “Rifts®”