Caster availability of spells

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Re: Caster availability of spells

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I allow a mage to teach themselves a spell they want to learn once they have seen it. double all the cost of learning for trail and error and research.

I treat it like science, once someone invented gun powder and used it the race was on.

Only in this case he need to meditates opening his energy to the mystic forces to get guidance. Practice summoning the energies about him.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:I allow a mage to teach themselves a spell they want to learn once they have seen it. double all the cost of learning for trail and error and research.
..snip

The canon rules for researching New, Known, Modifying spells and recreating specialty magic spells as invocations are in the Through the Glass Darkly book and the Mysteries of Magic book 1.

TtGD rules are more for a modern day setting. Where the MoM1 rules are more for a fantasy setting.

Known spells, these are the common magic spells that most mages 'know about' but are not in their 'spell list/book'. At minimum the list of common magic spells are those found in each core book of a setting with magic. Of the types of researching talked about this type take the least time to do.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:I allow a mage to teach themselves a spell they want to learn once they have seen it. double all the cost of learning for trail and error and research.
..snip

The canon rules for researching New, Known, Modifying spells and recreating specialty magic spells as invocations are in the Through the Glass Darkly book and the Mysteries of Magic book 1.

TtGD rules are more for a modern day setting. Where the MoM1 rules are more for a fantasy setting.

Known spells, these are the common magic spells that most mages 'know about' but are not in their 'spell list/book'. At minimum the list of common magic spells are those found in each core book of a setting with magic. Of the types of researching talked about this type take the least time to do.

I will acquire a copy of those when i get a chance. but there does exist a set of rules to work with. But i generally play CS special forces when I play rifts because GMs do make it almost impossible for mages to really advance. Yes there should be challenges and what better way to get players to get rid of all that stacked up salvage they collect in all those games.

So when i run a game i house rules it, so players could develop spells themselves. thank you, I will look into these books. I do not know anyone who plays in either of those setting. its hard enough to find players for rifts.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Lt Gargoyle wrote: I will acquire a copy of those when i get a chance. but there does exist a set of rules to work with. But i generally play CS special forces when I play rifts because GMs do make it almost impossible for mages to really advance. Yes there should be challenges and what better way to get players to get rid of all that stacked up salvage they collect in all those games.

So when i run a game i house rules it, so players could develop spells themselves. thank you, I will look into these books. I do not know anyone who plays in either of those setting. its hard enough to find players for rifts.

well, you could also play the astral mage OCC found in that same book. then you'll have lots and lots of time to do all your research... 3 months per hour of everyone else's time :P

of course, you may need to have others come and check on you from time to time, to make sure you're not stuck in a mental loop...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Shark_Force wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote: I will acquire a copy of those when i get a chance. but there does exist a set of rules to work with. But i generally play CS special forces when I play rifts because GMs do make it almost impossible for mages to really advance. Yes there should be challenges and what better way to get players to get rid of all that stacked up salvage they collect in all those games.

well, you could also play the astral mage OCC found in that same book. then you'll have lots and lots of time to do all your research... 3 months per hour of everyone else's time :P

of course, you may need to have others come and check on you from time to time, to make sure you're not stuck in a mental loop...

I do believe that the astral mage class is in the 'Between the Shadows' book.
Both the TtGD and the BtS books are of the Nightbane setting books.

(Beyond the Supernatural (BTS) is it's own setting but shares the bts letters in the shorthand with Between the Shadows. The Between the Shadows is…well I…. typically abbreviate it NB:BtS.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

I do believe that the astral mage class is in the 'Between the Shadows' book.
Both the TtGD and the BtS books are of the Nightbane setting books.

(Beyond the Supernatural (BTS) is it's own setting but shares the bts letters in the shorthand with Between the Shadows. The Between the Shadows is…well I…. typically abbreviate it NB:BtS.)

huh... thought they were in the same book together. either way, both books have their uses :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

42dragon wrote:And while that does make perfect sense Nekira, however if my memory holds, the few different places guilds are mentioned: It seems like even then they aren't going to teach you much either (by the book).

Especially if you sort of work backwards from the cost of spells. Most spells 6th level and above would cost what would be the equivalent to a yearly salary and up (mostly way up). A guild would likely require dozen(s) of missions and years of service before they would teach even one 10th level spell.

Exactly!

I mean, you're not wrong, I mean, the implication given the rest of it, is that that is still the most reliable way to earn high level magic.

the alternative is even worse: Going around mostly finding a bunch of nothing helpful.

This is why Shifter Pacts are such a big thing. this is why deals with demons and witches are a thing.

Taking the "easy" road is very tempting, if the "moral" path is insanely difficult as a design choice.

It gives a Reason for the Shifter pact to be a serious consideration: because if you don't take it, the odds are it'll be in-game a few decades before you can finnally get reliable access to higher level magic.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Rifts®”