TW Glitter Mount building

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

TW Glitter Mount building

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Anyone figure out what spells would be needed for a character to build a glitter mount? My most favorite transportation method.

I have read the BoM and New West Books and I have been trying to figure out how a PC Techno Wizard would build one? What Spells and spell chains would be needed? Gems? How does on get a tectonic entity?

What modifications might be able to be used to enhance the standard model?

Larger, stronger draft/warhorse size?
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Re: TW Glitter Mount building

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Keep in mind the "spells and spell chains and gems" thing was not even a glimmer in Kevin's eye when New West was written.

That's all RUE stuff that was largely written by a guy in the Rifter and then updated/adapted to RUE.

As for a Tectonic Entity, talk to a Shifter, would be my guess.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

VR Dragon wrote:Anyone figure out what spells would be needed for a character to build a glitter mount? My most favorite transportation method.

I have read the BoM and New West Books and I have been trying to figure out how a PC Techno Wizard would build one? What Spells and spell chains would be needed? Gems? How does on get a tectonic entity?

Well Rifts WB14 New West DOES list the required spells and materials in the writeup (which might be missing from BoM's cliffnote version), but it also includes a note that it uses "secret incantations" (and parts) which the TW will have to discover on their own (reverse engineer, receive instruction, etc). So the normal Spell Chain/gems requirements are not present (due to time period it was written in), though you could cross reference the the TW gem list with the stated required gems. The main issue would be assigning the Primary Gem/Spell.

Getting a Tectonic Entity most likely requires assistance, or another TW device designed to summon such an entity.

This example of TW also boarders on the Bio-Wizard (Rune) aspect like the Iron Juggernauts, so might be very advanced TW in terms of device level.

As for modification/enhancements. Just allow 3 more Functions to be built into the device per the rules, or add more by making separate devices that attach.

Or you could just have a TW create a Gliter Mount like creation using unique spell chains, gems, functions, and appropriate parts. You might not get the same long term product, but short term product seems doable (IIRC available spells).
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Negotiate with your GM. Find a maker of Glittermounts and apprentice to said maker in exchange for knowledge of how to make them.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
BlueLion
Wanderer

Unread post by BlueLion »

Remember the spell chain stuff is just a guideline all TW is fully under the "GM discretion" claws. Any time you want to build any TW item work with your GM even the examples of it in RUE, it only works if the GM says so and how it works is up the GM.
In closing I would like to say "Will eat for food"

Breath mint?
Have a nice day.

Now where did I put that Sword?
Yes my spelling is bad, but that is the least of my problems.

Is it bed time yet.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

ShadowLogan wrote:
VR Dragon wrote:Anyone figure out what spells would be needed for a character to build a glitter mount? My most favorite transportation method.

Well Rifts WB14 New West DOES list the required spells and materials in the writeup (which might be missing from BoM's cliffnote version), but it also includes a note that it uses "secret incantations" (and parts) which the TW will have to discover on their own (reverse engineer, receive instruction, etc). So the normal Spell Chain/gems requirements are not present (due to time period it was written in), though you could cross reference the the TW gem list with the stated required gems. The main issue would be assigning the Primary Gem/Spell.

Getting a Tectonic Entity most likely requires assistance, or another TW device designed to summon such an entity.

This example of TW also boarders on the Bio-Wizard (Rune) aspect like the Iron Juggernauts, so might be very advanced TW in terms of device level.

As for modification/enhancements. Just allow 3 more Functions to be built into the device per the rules, or add more by making separate devices that attach.

Or you could just have a TW create a Gliter Mount like creation using unique spell chains, gems, functions, and appropriate parts. You might not get the same long term product, but short term product seems doable (IIRC available spells).

The first thing I would point out is that as mentioned above this is an example of something that is crossing from "regular" TW into shadowy "other" realms. And as such it might not be doable by just any old TW.

The first Secret spell is most likely the Immure Entity spell, which is found in a few of the other game lines. This spell allows one to trap an Entity in an object, bind it and use their powers.

Also I would suspect that this is not going to be a "simple" item like the standard RUE chain system makes. It does not have one effect aka spell chain, but it has many many effects.
It is going to be more like a TW vehicle, or TW Space ship or the like. A hugely complex, multi functional device that is built in a complex way.

The "here is your spell chain" stuff in the RUE (besides being one of the most abuseable things ever published) is for basic, simple devices...
...I do not think it is a coincidence at all that none of the highly complex devices (Glitter Mount, TW Power Armor, TW Vehicles, TW Bionics, Juggernaughts, et multiple cetera) can be build using them any more than using Basic Electronics will let you build a super computer from scratch.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

eliakon wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

The first thing I would point out is that as mentioned above this is an example of something that is crossing from "regular" TW into shadowy "other" realms. And as such it might not be doable by just any old TW.

The first Secret spell is most likely the Immure Entity spell, which is found in a few of the other game lines. This spell allows one to trap an Entity in an object, bind it and use their powers.

Also I would suspect that this is not going to be a "simple" item like the standard RUE chain system makes. It does not have one effect aka spell chain, but it has many many effects.
It is going to be more like a TW vehicle, or TW Space ship or the like. A hugely complex, multi functional device that is built in a complex way.

The "here is your spell chain" stuff in the RUE (besides being one of the most abuseable things ever published) is for basic, simple devices...
...I do not think it is a coincidence at all that none of the highly complex devices (Glitter Mount, TW Power Armor, TW Vehicles, TW Bionics, Juggernaughts, et multiple cetera) can be build using them any more than using Basic Electronics will let you build a super computer from scratch.

That last line is a great analogy; I wish that the "system" for building TW items had been more about narrative guidelines for experimentation or adding skills that TWs can pick up as they increase in level which let then do more advanced things.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

dreicunan wrote:
eliakon wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

That last line is a great analogy; I wish that the "system" for building TW items had been more about narrative guidelines for experimentation or adding skills that TWs can pick up as they increase in level which let then do more advanced things.

It is hard to write them that way, my house rules tend to look out how the tech and magic are combined but it is still in the GM discretion.
The guide lines themselves say what they guide lines and GMs decide what TW devices actually do.

in my rules something like a glitter mount to me would fall under the magic powers tech, line as its base. The imprisoned force provides the power for the mechanical horse. Secondary powers would be added under the type of connection they have to tech.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

One other main issue with converting something like the TW Glitter Mount to RUE TW standards isn't just an issue of spell chains, primary spell(s), and gems. It is also related to the items device level. Which will have an impact if a TW could even build it, since they can't build an item that has a Device Level higher than their class level. If a TW Device is setup with a specific Device Level it might not be able to be lowered.

This leads me to think that if a TW was to construct a Mount or other semi-/full-autonomous construct it would be better to work out ones own Spell Chains and Device Levels. Maybe even look at examples (like Iron Juggernauts, Glittermount, etc) for inspiration to get more endurance.

Even at Device Level 1, a "Phatom Mount" based TW construct could be made to be cast pretty cheaply (invest in extra gem quality), and that's if you don't put in any extras in the chain to alter the PM spell. Put in a PPE storage and your good to go for longer trips.

Other options exist to, you could use a mystic engine to move limbs instead of wheels. Some other spells might also work for creating semi-/full-autonomous constructs (like Golem, Mummy/Zombie) but need to be adjusted by a secondary spell(s) to get the desired feel.

Granted I was looking at just invocation magic recently trying to work out how to get the Phantom Mount to go faster (aside from Ley Line) to better match the abilities of the Glitter Mount, and couldn't do it. Some of the Glitter Mounts abilities are likely separate functions of the mount. Though I wasn't trying to constrain an elemental entity to power the device (which might give it a boost that normal PPE expenditure ones can't match).
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

I think i figured out a workable build.

I didnt use the tectonic entity method since one book says they are evil and hate good stuff and then the blueprint says the entity loves it and stuff.

Phantom mount works.

I was able to repeat the aspects of the glitter mount and improve some i think.

Return to “Rifts®”