Coalition Psi-slinger?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Salcor
Wanderer

Coalition Psi-slinger?

Unread post by Salcor »

So I recently got a copy of heroes of humanity and I love the detail of the book. One of my favorite aspects is the Psi-battalions. When I was reading through the occs in the Psi-battalions I did not see a mention of Psi-slingers in the Psi-battalions. Did I miss it, or was it an oversight? Psi-slingers seem like a nature psionic that should be in the CS army.

Thanks,
Salcor
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Coalition Psi-slinger?

Unread post by Mack »

I'd allow it. There's no reason for that character to be geographically limited to the New West.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Given they apparently seem to be pretty okay with shockers and bursters a psi slinger is basically a TK version of a similar psychic I don't see that they would be against them. Still need the normal ID tag and restrictions other CS psychics have but other than that I don't see why not.
Salcor
Wanderer

Unread post by Salcor »

Thanks for the responses. That is kind of what I figured, I just found it funny that they listed psychics like the psi-warrior which apparently only psyscape has, but not the Psi-slinger which is a combat psychic that is right up the CS Army's alley.

Salcor
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Salcor wrote:Thanks for the responses. That is kind of what I figured, I just found it funny that they listed psychics like the psi-warrior which apparently only psyscape has, but not the Psi-slinger which is a combat psychic that is right up the CS Army's alley.

Salcor

Consistency and continuity in editing are not exactly a hallmark of Palladium's writing.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i dunno, isn't the whole point of psi-battalion to add psionic support to others pretty much?

i could see psi-slingers being not particularly desired there... you're not really adding anything psionically speaking that a regular psi-stalker isn't already adding, as i recall.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Shark_Force wrote:i dunno, isn't the whole point of psi-battalion to add psionic support to others pretty much?

i could see psi-slingers being not particularly desired there... you're not really adding anything psionically speaking that a regular psi-stalker isn't already adding, as i recall.

From the heroes of humanity book the CS seems pretty good with the various eruptors working with them like bursters/zappers/ and one would assume probably psi slingers. A lot of their power is more general battlefield mayhem and now that they are unleashing all of their secret projects in the field probably get a fair amount of use out of them. While they don't have a lot of the psionic mind game type options from the CS view they are a lot easier to stomach in that they are basically just using a potent form of TK abilities pretty straightforward utility without a lot of danger in them going rogue or using psionics to learn stuff you don't want them learning.

The mind melters and other more hard core psi classes are the ones that make the CS nervous and are watched the most closely. They are some of the most useful against threats like the minions but probably also the most dangerous and easy to lose "control" over.

Really dog boys and psi stalkers have pretty much all the psi sensitive powers on lock down and strong enough that they have part of the battle covered. Psi slingers/bursters/zappers/ and more rarely mind melters are your offense punch vs things that may be otherwise immune. Psi slingers are also really good general combatants. Easy cheap ammo options/ strong defensive field aura to keep them fighting well past when normal infantry would get murdered and really deadly accurate fire. They would be a pretty good addition to any demon hunting squad much more so than any normal grunt.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

If nothing else, I believe the CS would rather have these guys in the government's service than running around on their own.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

kaid wrote:Given they apparently seem to be pretty okay with shockers and bursters a psi slinger is basically a TK version of a similar psychic I don't see that they would be against them. Still need the normal ID tag and restrictions other CS psychics have but other than that I don't see why not.

Psi-Battalion psychics don't get tagged, only civilian psychics do.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

HarleeKnight wrote:
kaid wrote:Given they apparently seem to be pretty okay with shockers and bursters a psi slinger is basically a TK version of a similar psychic I don't see that they would be against them. Still need the normal ID tag and restrictions other CS psychics have but other than that I don't see why not.

Source?

Because everything i've ever read (which is everything other than HoH so far) says that EVERY Pyschic gets IC implanted and barcoded. Period.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

It was either in wb10 or wb12, I remember seeing it too.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Mack wrote:If nothing else, I believe the CS would rather have these guys in the government's service than running around on their own.

eh, so far as i can tell the CS is mostly fine with wild psi-stalkers. they're not friends or anything, but the CS doesn't particularly seem to care that there are psi-stalkers that aren't part of the CS. in any event, i don't recall hearing of the CS trying to recruit psi-stalker tribes the way they have worked on expanding their control of mostly-human territories that don't practice magic.

that said, i could certainly see the CS having psi-slingers (probably mostly recruited from freelance psi-stalkers... gunslinging doesn't seem like the sort of training a typical military would provide), i just think that for psi-batallion in particular it wouldn't be particularly high demand. that doesn't mean they would refuse to accept you, more just that i would expect psi-bat to be looking for psychics that add a sort of punch regular troops can't provide... being really good with a gun is nice, but can largely be simulated by having more people with guns. and the CS has no shortage of people with guns.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:

Source?

Because everything i've ever read (which is everything other than HoH so far) says that EVERY Pyschic gets IC implanted and barcoded. Period.

HoH pg. 21, last paragraph
Psi-Battalion does not submit to the PRP (Psychic Registration Program) because thanks to the hugely successful PR against anything not straight human, most people are uncomfortable around psychic barcodes, but Psi-Battalion does have it's own record keeping system.

...and I also read it before HoH came out I just can't remember in what book.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Shark_Force
Palladin

so they don't have psychic barcodes (any more, presumably, since apart from any dog boys they may have they probably weren't born into psi-bat), they just have the exact same level of tracking and registration (probably more in some ways) minus the barcode.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

HarleeKnight wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:

Source?

HoH pg. 21, last paragraph
Psi-Battalion does not submit to the PRP (Psychic Registration Program) because thanks to the hugely successful PR against anything not straight human, most people are uncomfortable around psychic barcodes, but Psi-Battalion does have it's own record keeping system.

...and I also read it before HoH came out I just can't remember in what book.

Although the funny thing is unless they are undercover psi battalion armor is not only different looking they also have unique capes to help denote what your general power set is so its not like your fellow troops don't pretty well know you are a psychic.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Shark_Force wrote:so they don't have psychic barcodes (any more, presumably, since apart from any dog boys they may have they probably weren't born into psi-bat), they just have the exact same level of tracking and registration (probably more in some ways) minus the barcode.

I'm thinking they never had a tattoo to begin with. At the time they are found to be psychic, they are probably offered the choice of psi-battalion or civilian life. Thus, they have much more indoctrination than the regular person in order to keep them more loyal. That's how I would do it anyways. As for the tracking, it could be both more or less extreme than civilians... On the one hand you want to keep track of all your trained psychics, on the other hand, they are so brain washed they probably require less tracking. This also explains why there is so much tracking on civilian psychics, they turned down the offer to be part of the "family". Why would they do that unless they were planning on going against the CS?
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

HarleeKnight wrote:...and I also read it before HoH came out I just can't remember in what book.

You really didn't.

Because of the "who can learn magic" thread, ive been going through all of the books to examine the magic classes. I made it through all of the World Books and Sourcebooks last night.
(Except for Triax 2, China 1&2, as i dont have those available as i returned them to their owner, but there is nothing about Psi-Bat in any of those books).

This text is literally not there.

The text on psychics and Psi-Net and Psi-Bat in Psyscape and CWC is clear - ALL CS Psychics are IC implanted and tattoo'ed. The line in Heroes is another retcon, or represents a change in policy since the Siege on Tolkeen (which is more possible; but it should have been clearly stated that this is a CHANGE to existing policy).

I can see the CS government giving Psi-Bat members that as a "reward" - but i doubt the IC implants were removed. They were probably just disabled from broadcasting to the civilian sensors around the cities. I'd guarantee 100% that all secure and military areas the sensors still track your Psi-Bat implant. (As is implied in what you quoted, actually, that Psi-Bat still tracks them).

Removal of the tattoo seems pointless anyway since it wasn't illegal to conceal it as long as you showed it to authorities when questioned; AND on top of that, as already pointed out, their uniforms and armor are different, clearly marking them as psychic, even for "civilian" Psi-Net operators working with the ISS and NTSET. So.. yeah. Pointless.

Im also amused at the retcon about people hating psychics since Psyscape and CWC (and parts of Siege) clearly state that because Joseph is throwing the full weight of his propaganda machine behind them (and because of their exemplary service in battle during the Siege) that acceptance of psychics, particularly ones working for the government in Psi-Net and Psi-Bat, is at record heights and climbing, and that Colonel Black is on the short list for General and a massive expansion of Psi-Bat into many Battalions was planned for directly after the Siege (and was even gearing up DURING the Siege).
Shark_Force
Palladin

HarleeKnight wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:so they don't have psychic barcodes (any more, presumably, since apart from any dog boys they may have they probably weren't born into psi-bat), they just have the exact same level of tracking and registration (probably more in some ways) minus the barcode.

I'm thinking they never had a tattoo to begin with. At the time they are found to be psychic, they are probably offered the choice of psi-battalion or civilian life. Thus, they have much more indoctrination than the regular person in order to keep them more loyal. That's how I would do it anyways. As for the tracking, it could be both more or less extreme than civilians... On the one hand you want to keep track of all your trained psychics, on the other hand, they are so brain washed they probably require less tracking. This also explains why there is so much tracking on civilian psychics, they turned down the offer to be part of the "family". Why would they do that unless they were planning on going against the CS?

so your assumption is that psi-bat almost exclusively recruits young teenagers? 'cause i'm pretty sure that's when psychic powers are stated to first begin to manifest for most people...

that feels a bit improbable to me. not impossible, but it feels like the sort of thing that attention would be called to.

i think the more probable explanation is that it is simply removed. removing a tattoo can be done today, and the implant is probably a pretty simple surgery for any organization that can create full conversion cyborgs.

also, i rather doubt the CS tracks their military psychics less. they just don't make the tracking information available to civilians. but i would be quite surprised if each and every individual regular soldier didn't have a detailed file listing all kinds of stuff about them, much more so than a typical civilian, if only because the CS military controls so many of those decisions.
Axelmania
Knight

Can someone tell me where I can find the information on special colored capes in psi-bat based on powers? Sounds new.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:...and I also read it before HoH came out I just can't remember in what book.

You really didn't.

Because of the "who can learn magic" thread, ive been going through all of the books to examine the magic classes. I made it through all of the World Books and Sourcebooks last night.
(Except for Triax 2, China 1&2, as i dont have those available as i returned them to their owner, but there is nothing about Psi-Bat in any of those books).

The text on psychics and Psi-Net and Psi-Bat in Psyscape and CWC is clear - ALL CS Psychics are IC implanted and tattoo'ed. The line in Heroes is another retcon, or represents a change in policy since the Siege on Tolkeen (which is more possible; but it should have been clearly stated that this is a CHANGE to existing policy).

I can see the CS government giving Psi-Bat members that as a "reward" - but i doubt the IC implants were removed. They were probably just disabled from broadcasting to the civilian sensors around the cities. I'd guarantee 100% that all secure and military areas the sensors still track your Psi-Bat implant. (As is implied in what you quoted, actually, that Psi-Bat still tracks them).

Wb10/CWC pg 39-40

"All human members of this battalion are given special clearance and registration with the military, but do NOT participate in the civilian Psychic Registration Program (PRP) or given Identification Coding (IC). To have them submit to such registration and IC would make them vulnerable to monitoring and assassination by the enemy."

So the Psi-Hounds would still be.. Not sure where Psi-Stalkers and Psi-Ghosts fall. Mutant humans can still be human but some mutants are more mutated than others and the humanity of stalkers/sulerbeings is more ambiguous than that of other psychics.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:Can someone tell me where I can find the information on special colored capes in psi-bat based on powers? Sounds new.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

You really didn't.

Wb10/CWC pg 39-40

"All human members of this battalion are given special clearance and registration with the military, but do NOT participate in the civilian Psychic Registration Program (PRP) or given Identification Coding (IC). To have them submit to such registration and IC would make them vulnerable to monitoring and assassination by the enemy."

So the Psi-Hounds would still be.. Not sure where Psi-Stalkers and Psi-Ghosts fall. Mutant humans can still be human but some mutants are more mutated than others and the humanity of stalkers/sulerbeings is more ambiguous than that of other psychics.

Thank you for finding that. I knew I had read it somewhere else but I could not remember where nor find it again. Feels good to be vindicated.

The cape thing is in HoH on pages 152-153
Axelmania
Knight

You have to wonder though... If avoiding being targeted for assassination is such a worry... Special capes explaining what you can do seems like it would work against that.

Reminds me of Forrest Gump when Captain Dan did not want to be saluted because of snipers.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:You have to wonder though... If avoiding being targeted for assassination is such a worry... Special capes explaining what you can do seems like it would work against that.

Reminds me of Forrest Gump when Captain Dan did not want to be saluted because of snipers.

It does sorta defeat the purpose, but maybe the enemy hasn't found out yet.
Axelmania
Knight

Maybe you can only see the cape hue through CS helmet visors but they appear black to anyone without them?
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

It may be that the capes are not worn off-duty or when undercover. Not getting assassinated when off-duty could be the concern as opposed to on-duty.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Salcor wrote:So I recently got a copy of heroes of humanity and I love the detail of the book. One of my favorite aspects is the Psi-battalions. When I was reading through the occs in the Psi-battalions I did not see a mention of Psi-slingers in the Psi-battalions. Did I miss it, or was it an oversight? Psi-slingers seem like a nature psionic that should be in the CS army.

Thanks,
Salcor

I could easily see a Psi-Slinger with the CQB advanced training.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

A quick research shows that in CWC the psi-battalion was listed as a elite SF/spy assassin force. It also seams that not all psi-military are members of it but do get training from it, and earn a psi badge. (only the best make it into psi-battalion.) It makes no sense to put radio chips in a group intended to be used in covert operations as it would make them valuable to detections. (that seams to be the reason listed in CWC for them not participating in it.) Now then they are likely registered before they join the psi-battalion(as they would need to be psi before they enter training to be psi-battalion.) but I can see such chips and tats being surgically removed to help them work under cover.

The confusion is likely do to them discussing all human psi visitors to CS needing to register.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Is therena voluntary aspect? I remember something like you got 100 free gift certified, extra 48 hours, higher priority on next visit for some kinda thing. I think implants are optional so they do something else if you don't want an implant.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Axelmania wrote:Is therena voluntary aspect? I remember something like you got 100 free gift certified, extra 48 hours, higher priority on next visit for some kinda thing. I think implants are optional so they do something else if you don't want an implant.

Visitors psi have to register but they can go with a temporary registration. Perm registrations gives 100 cr gift card and extra time so the CS can put in a tracking chip.(that is the only choice I saw in it, temporary registration for visitors.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Eh... I don't think they would count your surgery time, I took it as an extra day of getting to shop and go to restaurants and stuff. Surgery + recovery ( doesn't seem that invasive) is probably done before you count as on-the-clock.

This would be pretty attractive to poor folk.

Not even sure if there is cost to visiting. I remember very expensive black market visitation passes for when you do it illegally (unregistered) but do not recall if there were fees for legal registered visitationz.

Return to “Rifts®”