Energy Melee weapons and Magic, abilitys, ext

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Energy Melee weapons and Magic, abilitys, ext

Unread post by rem1093 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i've generally assumed that "stable laser field" is an advertising buzzword Wilks used, and that the laser blade and laser sword use an array of lasers to make the 'blade', with frequencies designed to cancel each other out when they cross, and each laser emitter angled so that they all cross at a specific point. this would also explain why you can't parry.. there is literally nothing solid involved.. the lasers would just pass over the object inflicting damage.

the erratic endurance coming from the fact that the wilks does not usually do "constant beam' lasers and thus the efficiency sucks and the cooling systems sometimes draw more power than normal.

the visible blade is a bit harder to justify, but with the right frequencies (such as a green and some frequencies of blue) the blade's many beams would be noticeable to the eye.

There book stays that the knife is based on the scalpel, witch is a solid cutting laser so this blade would probably be the same. Also I don't think that it has a proximity sensor but does have a presure sensor, because it shuts off when thrown.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
rem1093 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:the text from WB14:
Wilk's Laser Knife
The laser knife grew out of the technology used for the laser scalpel. Adventurers wanted a hand to hand weapon that was more powerful than the average Vibro-Blade. The laser knife was the first attempt at this The laser knife projects a stable laser field eight inches (0.21 m) from the generator hilt The laser is projected in the visible light spectrum and resembles a magic energy blade or psi-sword. It is still considered experimental and sold with no warranty and a warning about safety.

and then:
Note: The laser knife cannot be used to parry any type of attack; it cuts everything it touches.

I see that and end up thinking 'So why does that mean it can't be used to parry? Cutting up my opponent's weapon so it's no longer useful is a pretty good idea'. You parried, you hit, you sliced a good chunk of a dangerous weapon off of it.

That would only happen if the blades damage is higher then the mdc of the attack, if not it would pass though and still hit. For instance the old robotech cads generated a 50 mdc for the blades, so the laser knife would have to do better then that or you would get hit.

Not to mention certain indestructible weapons like rune weapons and a TW Flame Blade or Lightblade, weapons that are immune to energy (lightning rod), etc.

Parrying isn't just blocking (in fact, it is almost never that, that's a great way to get your weapon destroyed), its using your weapon's physical mass to knock the other weapon aside, even just a little. The laser knife/dagger/sword from Wilks cannot do that.

This is why I was looking at using solid energy. They can be used to perry and don't brake and unlike real blade, witch by the way you would never use to perry, would be damaged.

Just so you know this was started because one of are players is playing as a Magebane. Since the main ability involves melee weapons. Energy blade's would allow them to carry multiple blade's and still use their abilitys with them. Basically turning high damage SDC blade's into MDC blade's.

As a side note anybody else notice that both the Vibro and Plasma blade do SDC BLUNT damage when not powered up? This is one of multiple reasons why we were looking at energy blades.
BlueLion
Wanderer

Unread post by BlueLion »

dreicunan wrote:@Blue_Lion: Without the definition of a successful sneak attack from 347, your interpretation falls on its face. A successful attack that didn't succeed? However, if your assumption pleases you, assume it, but it remains an incorrect assumption.

My interpitaton of what they talking about turned out to be what they where talking about, so it does not fall on its face but turns out to be correct interpretation(understanding of what was said).

The assumption that they are referring to successful striking during determination of who goes first is the one that fell on its face as it requires the artificial creation of an order of operations paradox.(A paradox created by not understanding what they where talking about.)

In this case interpretation is using logic to understand what they are saying. Logically if they are determine a successful sneak attack before a strike roll they are not discussing a successful hit/strike. So then what can be used before a strike roll to determine a successful sneak attack? Oh a successful sneak. They determined a successful sneak attack by the sneak not the strike, I understood/interpreted this without the need of a definition. The definition is there for people that do not have the ability to understand this on their own. ( I assume RAW works and look for the logic that makes it work, instead of using an interpretation that makes it broken I look for the one that works.)

(note: you may have worded it more nicely but you are still making personal attacks. Stop making personal attacks discuss the issue not the person.)
In closing I would like to say "Will eat for food"

Breath mint?
Have a nice day.

Now where did I put that Sword?
Yes my spelling is bad, but that is the least of my problems.

Is it bed time yet.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Is Blue_Lion and BlueLion the same person?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Is Blue_Lion and BlueLion the same person?

Sorry accidently logged into an old unused account. It predates the currant terms of conditions.
I created my currant account when a technical issue, unrelated to PB stopped my from logging in. Under instructions from some one that was at the time a mod for PB Maryann.

It would not be a matter of pretending to be some one I am not.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

Something that'd I'd look at with laser blade weapons, if they can't be used to parry in melee, does that mean if someone tried to parry the laser blade (not knowing what it is) with another mdc melee weapon, that that attempt would fail, i.e. you have to dodge or take damage, and if you attempt to parry it with a MDC melee weapon your weapon takes damage? OF course the argument is that you parry the arm wielding the laser blade instead, but that'd be more difficult to do.

Other things I see a pluses, as these weapons when turned off are only a hilt, they are smaller easier to conceal and carry than many other full sized MDC melee weapons (yes plasma swords and TW flame blades have this advantage too). And as they are lasers, they ought to be useful in cauterizing wounds for your MDC buddies without bio regeneration, starting a fire, cutting down SDC trees, and acting as an improvised MDC welder. Ok a few of those are tongue in cheek, point is, no they aren't a perfect weapon but there is an argument for finding some creative uses for them.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

J_cobbers wrote:Something that'd I'd look at with laser blade weapons, if they can't be used to parry in melee, does that mean if someone tried to parry the laser blade (not knowing what it is) with another mdc melee weapon, that that attempt would fail, i.e. you have to dodge or take damage, and if you attempt to parry it with a MDC melee weapon your weapon takes damage? OF course the argument is that you parry the arm wielding the laser blade instead, but that'd be more difficult to do.

Other things I see a pluses, as these weapons when turned off are only a hilt, they are smaller easier to conceal and carry than many other full sized MDC melee weapons (yes plasma swords and TW flame blades have this advantage too). And as they are lasers, they ought to be useful in cauterizing wounds for your MDC buddies without bio regeneration, starting a fire, cutting down SDC trees, and acting as an improvised MDC welder. Ok a few of those are tongue in cheek, point is, no they aren't a perfect weapon but there is an argument for finding some creative uses for them.

You do not need to make contact with the blade to parry they could make contact with the hand or arm to parry. (they say it can not be used to parry they do not say it can not be parried.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

That parry the weapon / parry the forearm issue is a dichotomy I have never.seen addressed in any RPG system. Not even GURPS

Nor contrast between using palms or using forearms to parry.

Nor stopping hits by taking hit on arm vs redirecting it.

Return to “Rifts®”