TW Item construction question.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

TW Item construction question.

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Okay I was talking with the GM on a game.

I wanted to have a TW Bright Light Source created.

What I was looking for is something as bright as globe of daylight (and its vampire at bay effect), but that lasted at least 1 hour or longer.

So we peered over the RUE TW crafting rules and We both got into a discussion of what the whole spell chain thing was about.

Primary spell we got, but the effect of secondary spells that augment the primary spell lost us.

I figured a simple spell chain of Primary: Globe of Daylight, Spell chain Secondary: Lantern light would be enough to pull off the desired effect minus the gem components and stuff.

So we would have the effect of the primary spell but used the secondary spell to determine duration. In this case 30 minutes per device level. Had a 4th level Tech Wizard to work with creating the gizmo.

He wasn't sure since he didn't have much experience fiddling with the new construction rules.

So would anyone be willing to offer advice and insight we are likely missing?

How would this bright long duration anti vampire light be built? and how much would it cost?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: TW Item construction question.

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Yes that would be one of several ways to accomplish what you want to do. The only thing the chain seems to be missing is Blinding Flash or Energy Bolt spells, which are usually found in electrical devices even when they don't seem to have an obvious purpose (IIRC).

You could also alter aspects of Globe of Daylight Spell effects to increase duration (going off of the sticky tires using Carpet of Adhesion example in RUE).

How would this bright long duration anti vampire light be built? and how much would it cost?

Cost is presented in the text of RUE, you might want to check the Errata PDF for RUE as it might clean up some of the TW formulas IIRC.

I'm not sure I quite understand the 1st question. It would be built using the time frame calculated, using the PPE required from calculations, etc.

At Device Level 4 it would look something like:
Spoiler:
Spells: Globe of Daylight (Primary), Lantern Light (Secondary), Blind Flash (Secondary)
PPE Construction: 80
PPE Activation: 4
PPE Storage: NONE (this costs extra)
Construction Time: 32 hours
Total Cost In Gems: 120credits of Quartz (clear), I have the spells sharing a gem (since you can do that for low level spells like these all are, though this might be restricted to just secondary spells)
Cost of Item on the Black Market (Construction Cost): 3,320credits
Effects: As Globe of Daylight
Duration: 2hour duration (from Lantern Light, at Level 4)

Now I admit there are things that could be done to alter the end results, you could make it a single use item, or use more or less Quartz gems, or even tweak the spell chain (removing Blinding Flash for Ex lowers the resulting numbers above) or add PPE storage to alter the above numbers.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Alt...the first thing I would do would convert the GoD to last an hour via the Through the Glass Darkly spell modification rules. (<from memory> increase the PPE cost by 20%) Then enchant the TW magic item.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

ShadowLogan wrote:Yes that would be one of several ways to accomplish what you want to do. The only thing the chain seems to be missing is Blinding Flash or Energy Bolt spells, which are usually found in electrical devices even when they don't seem to have an obvious purpose (IIRC).

You could also alter aspects of Globe of Daylight Spell effects to increase duration (going off of the sticky tires using Carpet of Adhesion example in RUE).

Cost is presented in the text of RUE, you might want to check the Errata PDF for RUE as it might clean up some of the TW formulas IIRC.

I'm not sure I quite understand the 1st question. It would be built using the time frame calculated, using the PPE required from calculations, etc.

At Device Level 4 it would look something like:
Spoiler:
Spells: Globe of Daylight (Primary), Lantern Light (Secondary), Blind Flash (Secondary)
PPE Construction: 80
PPE Activation: 4
PPE Storage: NONE (this costs extra)
Construction Time: 32 hours
Total Cost In Gems: 120credits of Quartz (clear), I have the spells sharing a gem (since you can do that for low level spells like these all are, though this might be restricted to just secondary spells)
Cost of Item on the Black Market (Construction Cost): 3,320credits
Effects: As Globe of Daylight
Duration: 2hour duration (from Lantern Light, at Level 4)

Now I admit there are things that could be done to alter the end results, you could make it a single use item, or use more or less Quartz gems, or even tweak the spell chain (removing Blinding Flash for Ex lowers the resulting numbers above) or add PPE storage to alter the above numbers.

My suspicion is that the blinding flash is either to link the other spells, or to give additional effects as a lot of times these devices would have more effects than being a bright long duration light.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

blinding flash and fire bolt are specifically noted as being present to provide a power source in most of the early TW devices from the original books.

I would presume they continue to serve the same purpose now. but I'm not certain they would be needed for a device where there are already spells that would logically also provide power in much the same way, particularly since that power is already in the usable form that the device is attempting to create.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

The way I read the rules, and subsequently the way I try and use them, is that the primary spell provides the primary effect, and the rest of the spell chain provides secondary effects.

In addition, again the way I read it, all TW items need power, so you need electric arc or lightning arc in the spell chain for (to me) pretty much any item, or perhaps energy bolt or sub particle acceleration.

The end result of any combo of effects is up to both you and your GM, but, for example, if I wanted a firearm that shot Orbs of Cold that would be the primary spell, but if you want a longer range then Orb of Cold you also have Power Bolt in the spell chain, for range purposes.

For example I once created a TW Quiver. You throw in some scrap shards of metal, activate it, and it allows you to draw arrows for 10 melee rounds that inflict 1D6x10 damage each. After the duration the arrows became normal SDC arrows.
The spells used were Create Wood, Create Steel, Power Weapon, and Sub-particle acceleration. PPE activation was 20, construction cost was just under 35K.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
BlueLion
Wanderer

Unread post by BlueLion »

Guide line not rules, they are called a guideline they are to help you create items but are a guide not a set in stone set of rules as by the guide all affects are up to the GM.

***What is below is my opinion****
As to creating a bright TW light source do not forget the tech involved. You could use a spell to power a Tech light device and convert it to daylight.

Example-Use energy bolt(or call lighting) and globe of daylight to modify a flood light to run on magic and keep vampires at bay.

The problem is so many people get so focused on the magic part they forget that the tech is there for a reason. (The range of TK weapons is in line with the pure tech version.) The guide line does talk about spells but also tells you that tech is needed, based on skill rolls.

A fling carpet why magical is not really TW as there is no tech, but a carpet that is lifted by a network of micro thrusters woven into it powered by magic(missing tech power and controls) would be TW.
In closing I would like to say "Will eat for food"

Breath mint?
Have a nice day.

Now where did I put that Sword?
Yes my spelling is bad, but that is the least of my problems.

Is it bed time yet.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

BlueLion wrote:Guide line not rules, they are called a guideline they are to help you create items but are a guide not a set in stone set of rules as by the guide all affects are up to the GM.

***What is below is my opinion****
As to creating a bright TW light source do not forget the tech involved. You could use a spell to power a Tech light device and convert it to daylight.

Example-Use energy bolt(or call lighting) and globe of daylight to modify a flood light to run on magic and keep vampires at bay.

The problem is so many people get so focused on the magic part they forget that the tech is there for a reason. (The range of TK weapons is in line with the pure tech version.) The guide line does talk about spells but also tells you that tech is needed, based on skill rolls.

A fling carpet why magical is not really TW as there is no tech, but a carpet that is lifted by a network of micro thrusters woven into it powered by magic(missing tech power and controls) would be TW.

Another option would be to make the TW batteries found in the original TW write up. You could sue them to power a pure tech lantern with magic for a month.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”