Spell casting and melee actions?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Spell casting and melee actions?

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Can someone tell me if there has been some modification to how many actions a spell certain levels uses up to cast? And if there is a spell limit per melee?

I read the main book, but a friend of mine who is a long time GM said RUE got changed so even RUE book info is not current or some such mess.

Errata or something?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Spell casting and melee actions?

Unread post by Mack »

I'm not aware of any changes to the RUE spell casting rules.
-- Spell levels 1-5: 1 action
-- Spell levels 6-10: 2 actions
-- Spell levels 11-15: 3 actions

As an alternative there's the PPE Channeling approach (from a Rifter article): A mage may use 5 PPE per level, per action. So a level 4 mage can spend up to 20 PPE in a single action. Any spell that uses 20 or less PPE is performed in a single action. Spells with PPE from 21-40 take 2 actions. Spells with PPE from 41-60 take 3 actions... you get the idea. As the mage gains levels, he gets faster with larger PPE spells. It's unofficial, but I've heard a number of folks speak well of it.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Mack wrote:I'm not aware of any changes to the RUE spell casting rules.

As an alternative there's the PPE Channeling approach (from a Rifter article): A mage may use 5 PPE per level, per action. So a level 4 mage can spend up to 20 PPE in a single action. Any spell that uses 20 or less PPE is performed in a single action. Spells with PPE from 21-40 take 2 actions. Spells with PPE from 41-60 take 3 actions... you get the idea. As the mage gains levels, he gets faster with larger PPE spells. It's unofficial, but I've heard a number of folks speak well of it.

spell of legend: we have no idea, your guess is as good as anyone's :P
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I tended to count spells of legend in the 11-15 range I assume they are about as high "level" as it gets.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

kaid wrote:I tended to count spells of legend in the 11-15 range I assume they are about as high "level" as it gets.

I'd round them up to a full melee. 15 seconds still seems pretty good for something labeled a "Spell of Legend!!!"
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Mack wrote:As an alternative there's the PPE Channeling approach (from a Rifter article): A mage may use 5 PPE per level, per action. So a level 4 mage can spend up to 20 PPE in a single action. Any spell that uses 20 or less PPE is performed in a single action. Spells with PPE from 21-40 take 2 actions. Spells with PPE from 41-60 take 3 actions... you get the idea. As the mage gains levels, he gets faster with larger PPE spells. It's unofficial, but I've heard a number of folks speak well of it.

I'm going to use this. It seems to be a good idea.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

This is the only change that came with RUE that I whole heartedly find a good thing.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I liked the change as well. It makes the low level standard combat spells be quick and effective in combat. The more potent spells are more involved and require more wind up but generally also have a big enough impact to be worth the extra attack/attacks used.
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

This is the only change that came with RUE that I whole heartedly find a good thing.

Yes, this was a great change / improvement with the release of RUE.

That said, I have had great experiences and prefer the PPE channeling rules (Rifter 21). Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly but didn't they possibly reference the PPE channeling rules in PF Mysteries of Magic, making them official optional megaversal rules? Sorry, I don't have my books to verify right now.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Actually most of what I like about it is that it defines how many APM it takes to cast a spell.

The old text just says two spells per melee and didn't say how the casting of spells effected the number of APM the char had that round. So some GM would cut the char's APM in half while others the casting of the spell was just one of the char's APM.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Remember talismans can hold up to level 8 spells and take one action to activate.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Mlp7029 wrote:Remember talismans can hold up to level 8 spells and take one action to activate.

TW I push a button and channel PPE to activate a caned spell.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”