Erin Tarn's plot immunity and godlike presence

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Erin Tarn's plot immunity and godlike presence

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

SycophantNagaraja wrote:
I never felt like she had god like presence, she always to me came acrossed as a plot mechanic to explain things.

Honestly that's why I had to double take on the opening of this thread. I thought at first it was a snarky joke against the recent CS threads that have popped up. For me the big difference is Tarn isn't used to forward a story per say. She simply records parts of history based on the narrative the writer wants to provide from a fictional first person account. Prosek and the CS however are specific plot vehicles that, when written, always seem to be up to something against someone else or kingdom building, etc. Tarn is basically that one D&D player who consistently makes bad characters so she stuck to just recording their adventuring party's misdeeds in verbose fashion. So while her Cyberknight and Dragon allies are busy laughing and attacking the darkness with magic missile she's turning it into something verbally stimulating :)

Tarn is to Dungeon Master as Prosek is to Venger
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Riftmaker wrote:Then in your game DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Sheesh Kevin doesnt come to your house and take your books back if you dont do it his way.

:shock: Dang it and that guy that came buy told me Kevin said I had to give him all my books because of my alterations to the storyline. Daaaaaaang it
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Riftmaker wrote:Then in your game DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Sheesh Kevin doesnt come to your house and take your books back if you dont do it his way.

:shock: Dang it and that guy that came buy told me Kevin said I had to give him all my books because of my alterations to the storyline. Daaaaaaang it

You shoulda rifted to an alternate dimension, maybe one with millenium bonsai trees, ley lines directed and controlled by feng shui masters, and where the coalition of skull dudes was eaten by billions of alien bugs while tarny and lazlob vanish into other dinensions to escape...

Its an alternate dimension so a few details seem to have been altered...

Also first forum post
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmartree wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

You shoulda rifted to an alternate dimension, maybe one with millenium bonsai trees, ley lines directed and controlled by feng shui masters, and where the coalition of skull dudes was eaten by billions of alien bugs while tarny and lazlob vanish into other dinensions to escape...

Also first forum post

Welcome!! But now I'm not sure if I should be honored or disturbed that a response to my post is your first post. Lesson 1. No one takes me seriously. Lesson 2 is more of a suggestion because anything posted lesson would be too serious. :) Have fun.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Also first forum post

Welcome!! But now I'm not sure if I should be honored or disturbed that a response to my post is your first post. Lesson 1. No one takes me seriously. Lesson 2 is more of a suggestion because anything posted lesson would be too serious. :) Have fun.

Wait...keep waiting....

Who said i was taking you seriously?i just was pointing out theres nothing wrong with playing rifts with tarny and friends as long as you rift to an alternate dimension so kevin the creator doesnt unleash author bolts of destruction

And thanks! I got on here cause i have too many ideas and not enough chances to make them real in game but the ideas are fun for me, i also talk too much
(author bolts of destruction! The upgrade of all upgrades to god bolts! Does 100d100×unlimited damage, applies only to house rules and people who go off canon!)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmartree wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Also first forum post

Wait...keep waiting....

Who said i was taking you seriously?i just was pointing out theres nothing wrong with playing rifts with tarny and friends as long as you rift to an alternate dimension so kevin the creator doesnt unleash author bolts of destruction

And thanks! I got on here cause i have too many ideas and not enough chances to make them real in game but the ideas are fun for me, i also talk too much
(author bolts of destruction! The upgrade of all upgrades to god bolts! Does 100d100×unlimited damage, applies only to house rules and people who go off canon!)

:shock: are those lightning or crossbow? :?

Well please share those ideas. If you have enough of them try to get em in a Rifter or non solicited book.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Zer0 Kay wrote:]
:shock: are those lightning or crossbow? :?

Well please share those ideas. If you have enough of them try to get em in a Rifter or non solicited book.

Bolts of cloth, sadly crossbow bolts and lighting bolts arent exactly road legal

And thats the plan, though im still finding my way around, but i was hoping to put them here so they quit ending up just as half done notes scattered around and forgotten. Maybe other people can get some use out of the microme legion or other such things.

(And author bolts are made by spinning divine lighting and energy blasts into thread and then weaving them together and soaking in the tears of gamers for that extra oomph)
TeeAychEeMarchHare
Explorer
Comment: War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Unread post by TeeAychEeMarchHare »

Tarn is one of the things that has always irritated me greatly. Any time ANYONE tries to inflict their morality on me, I get mulish and uncooperative, and I start thinking of ways to undermine them just out of principle.

If I played Rifts, and the GM had Tarn make appearances, I'd be likely to collect the bounty on her head. Especially if it was "Dead or Alive".
Too much ammo is a self-correcting problem.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

>not making her into a Xombie and trapping her soul in Nxla
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

I had a character that I played quite a while that I loved. She was a Human Vagabond with three minor psionic abilities (Resist Thirst, Resist Hunger and a home-made power called Radiation Immunity (which lasted a few minutes per level). She came from a small town outside Free Quebec and as she was a psionic, she had been given resources by the government and asked to relocate (i.e. starting equipment and a bonus as the other players were level 5). As the other players were quite tough, I was allowed to roll on the human special talents table from Lone Star book and got a result that I could have +20% to two related skills.

I made her into a travelling writer who had grown up on Erin Tarns books and seen how twisted and opinionated they were in favor of Erin Tarn and Lazlo. So she set out to write a non-biased travel book. With a skill of 70% at level 1 in Creative Writing (Professional Level) and 65% in Public Speaking as well as high values in Seduction, Eyeball a fellow, Art for her level allowed her to make people open up aroud her and let her gain access to some information that other people did not easily get.

Unlike Tarn, she focused on North America/Canada and Northern Mexico and did not have plans to speculate about other places or worlds. She was a very fun character and the concept made her very mobile and she could always have a reason to be at a new place. I also remembered that all of her money was poured into promoting herself and making copies of her latest chapters and have them spread to the people. I remember that she met Tarn at one point and the GM had planned a debate between us in Lazlo and read all there is on her books (that KS has written down) and that was fun.

Still I think that Tarn has the aspects of surviving incarceration in CS (charm her way out, poor guards they must have been executed along with their families when Prosek learned about it - just to erradicate the stupid genes from the earth) and a survival ratio that borderlines in JR's return in Dallas. I see that many of you disagrees with me, but still. That is my opinions and nothing anyone have said here has changed me from my former view. Thank you for giving me insights in how many seem to think that she is nothing special and all is fair around her and others seem to agree with me on a few things.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I just wanted to add to the argument that fact that Erin Tarn writes about the emptiness of the American West Coast, then admits that she has never made it over the Barrier Peaks.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Braden Campbell wrote:I just wanted to add to the argument that fact that Erin Tarn writes about the emptiness of the American West Coast, then admits that she has never made it over the Barrier Peaks.

Many writers write about things they have never seen based on assumptions. Her assumption and most others is that nothing has made it over the barrier peaks and so it must be empty... based on assumptions.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Dunia wrote:I had a character that I played quite a while that I loved. She was a Human Vagabond with three minor psionic abilities

I thought minor psychics only got 2, how did you get a 3rd?
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

Reading her almost 80 pages (A5) long travel diary i got it in a lab when I was captured by a mad scientist. He researched if he could transfer the power of psycics to another psycic. I got a mental affliction as well in the process.

Return to “Rifts®”