ranged combat revised rules

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

scorps
D-Bee

ranged combat revised rules

Unread post by scorps »

hi all, i am back into rifts megaverse after a long 15 yr absence. happy to see the revision to many original OCC's.

however i just noticed the rule change on ranged combat where less than 8 is a miss. can someone talk me through the logic change on this please.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Re: ranged combat revised rules

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

scorps wrote:hi all, i am back into rifts megaverse after a long 15 yr absence. happy to see the revision to many original OCC's.

however i just noticed the rule change on ranged combat where less than 8 is a miss. can someone talk me through the logic change on this please.

Dont forget alternately stacking penalties and bonuses, that make ranged combat ludicrously non-survivable.

The logic of this change? There almost certainly wasn't any. People just complained that it was too easy to hit. Kevin changed it.

Kevin doesn't even use the published rules in his own games.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

That rule was introduced in the conversion book and is still present in the Ultimate Edition as far as I'm aware.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Logic for the rule is simple. It's harder to hit someone 60 feet from you than it is to hit the guy right next to you.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
scorps wrote:hi all, i am back into rifts megaverse after a long 15 yr absence. happy to see the revision to many original OCC's.

Dont forget alternately stacking penalties and bonuses, that make ranged combat ludicrously non-survivable.

The logic of this change? There almost certainly wasn't any. People just complained that it was too easy to hit. Kevin changed it.

Which I find hilarious.... because if you do the -10 to dodge, the average PC is going to have a -9 to -2 to dodge. Very few that aren't 7th + level are likely to have a positive dodge.

My groups never found the above to be inbalancing.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Myrrhibis wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

Which I find hilarious.... because if you do the -10 to dodge, the average PC is going to have a -9 to -2 to dodge. Very few that aren't 7th + level are likely to have a positive dodge.

My groups never found the above to be inbalancing.

Thats rather what i was talking about. The stacking penalties and bonii make the entire system make no sense.

And slow combat down aggregiously, because you have to add in strike bonuses, dodge penalties, strike penalties, etc. Its mind-numbing and slow.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Jefffar wrote:Logic for the rule is simple. It's harder to hit someone 60 feet from you than it is to hit the guy right next to you.

So you are saying a person skilled in the use of a pistol will miss a stationary man sized target at 60' 25-40% of the time at 60'.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

SpiritInterface wrote:
Jefffar wrote:Logic for the rule is simple. It's harder to hit someone 60 feet from you than it is to hit the guy right next to you.

So you are saying a person skilled in the use of a pistol will miss a stationary man sized target at 60' 25-40% of the time at 60'.

Depends on how you define skilled, and what you make someone roll to do. If I had a skilled marksman shooting a stationary target at 60 ft, there'd be no roll to just hit it. Now placing your shot carefully, yeah. Doing it in combat is another thing entirely, and the rules are made with combat in mind.

If "skilled" is a level 1 wp, then the 8 to hit becomes 6 on an aimed shot, but by level 10 even a 1 gets brought up to an 8 thanks to bonuses unless there are other negative modifiers. At level 14 he gets there without aiming. So the WPs get you hitting almost all the time barring a successful dodge pretty quickly.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

dreicunan wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:

Depends on how you define skilled, and what you make someone roll to do. If I had a skilled marksman shooting a stationary target at 60 ft, there'd be no roll to just hit it. Now placing your shot carefully, yeah. Doing it in combat is another thing entirely, and the rules are made with combat in mind.

If "skilled" is a level 1 wp, then the 8 to hit becomes 6 on an aimed shot, but by level 10 even a 1 gets brought up to an 8 thanks to bonuses unless there are other negative modifiers. At level 14 he gets there without aiming. So the WPs get you hitting almost all the time barring a successful dodge pretty quickly.

Should be 5. The W.P. gives you +1 to strike (well, most do at first level), and the +2 for aiming is added onto that.

Though i realize it wont always be the case because of the bizarre "broke what wasnt broken" reshuffling of modern W.P.s from all just providing +1 at odd levels.. typically, it is.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

SpiritInterface wrote:

Depends how you define skilled and how you define stationary.

But yes, taking a snap shot (aimed shots have a bonus to hit which changes the odds) with a pistol, at a man sized target who is free to move (but not actively evading) isn't a simple thing.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
dreicunan wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:

Should be 5. The W.P. gives you +1 to strike (well, most do at first level), and the +2 for aiming is added onto that.

Though i realize it wont always be the case because of the bizarre "broke what wasnt broken" reshuffling of modern W.P.s from all just providing +1 at odd levels.. typically, it is.

WP Handgun doesn't give a bonus to strike until level 2 in RUE (both pages 328 and 360 agree on that). Since the example was with a pistol, that is what I went with. It would be a 5 at level 1 for WP Rifles, Shotguns, Sub-Machineguns, Heavy Military Weapons, and Energy Pistol.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Rifts®”