TW Thundergun

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

TW Thundergun

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

It does a base damage of 3D6 and goes up from there, but is the damage based on the gun or the spell?

The Schofield #3 (Thundergun base form) can be a .38, and the S&W .38 an page 211 does 3D6 damage, so I figured the damage was based on the gun. If it is based on the gun, then what if I had a revolver that does 6D6 base damage? Would it double all the damage? Would that also double the PPE/ISP cost?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
taalismn
Priest

Re: TW Thundergun

Unread post by taalismn »

HarleeKnight wrote:It does a base damage of 3D6 and goes up from there, but is the damage based on the gun or the spell?

The Schofield #3 (Thundergun base form) can be a .38, and the S&W .38 an page 211 does 3D6 damage, so I figured the damage was based on the gun. If it is based on the gun, then what if I had a revolver that does 6D6 base damage? Would it double all the damage? Would that also double the PPE/ISP cost?

Hmmm...with enough Supernatural Strength and a good grip on the gun, I bet I could pistol-whip somebody with it for 3d6 damage... :bandit:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

HarleeKnight wrote:It does a base damage of 3D6 and goes up from there, but is the damage based on the gun or the spell?

Most TW weapons are flat.
I.e. it doesn't matter what it looks like, it does the same damage.

Now a GM can rule however they want of course.
But allowing it opens up some huge cans of worms that can have some pretty profound influences on the game. For example it would allow a person to argue that they should be able to convert something like a recoilless rifle that does 1d4x100 and have it do 1d4x100 MDC right?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Yeah... I talked it over with a few people and the general consensus was the base damage can change depending on caliber, but the extra damage would stay the same.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

eliakon wrote:

Now a GM can rule however they want of course.
But allowing it opens up some huge cans of worms that can have some pretty profound influences on the game. For example it would allow a person to argue that they should be able to convert something like a recoilless rifle that does 1d4x100 and have it do 1d4x100 MDC right?

That is why I have detailed weapon creation rules. It does allow people to create new weapons while locking down power level.

Typically with TW weapons it is either the type of energy weapon or spell that provides the damage code.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:

Yup.
Without looking at this particular weapon, I'm with Eliakon here: the listed damage is the listed damage.
It's magic, not physics.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”