TW Weapons, auto-target spells and WP Proficiency?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Citadel97501
D-Bee

TW Weapons, auto-target spells and WP Proficiency?

Unread post by Citadel97501 »

Hello all, I know this question seems to be similar to another one someone asked but this is not the same question.

Basically my question is, if a TW Weapon creates or uses a spell with self targeting capabilities like the Spitfire Revolver or Magic Net. Should you need or get to use the WP bonuses, as many of these spells already have a self targeting effect. Or am I simply trying to read to much into spell chains or need to create TW items that use these spells as auto-target, rather than for the damage part?

Examples:
Magic Net: Straight up requires a 16+ to dodge it, this seems to me that the spell is auto-targeting.
Call Lightning: This seems to be an auto hit with no dodge due to it saying no saving throw...
Fire Ball: Seems to be an 18 to hit as you need an 18+ to dodge it...
Power Bolt: Needs a flat 20 to dodge...

Example Spells that seem to prove the rule by working differently?
Throwing Stones:
Fire Bolt: Says it provides a +4 to hit
Electric Arc: +2 to hit

Weird ones that I don't know which category they fit in?
Ballistic Fire, this seems to apply a -10 to dodge so is this category 1 or category 2?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: TW Weapons, auto-target spells and WP Proficiency?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

No, spells don't always function exactly the same when used with TW (or general) weapons. Unless you add-in some way for the weapon/device to "auto-target" the spell effect(s) in the device won't auto-target, the TW device is operated as its baseline version.

For example: Firebolt on your list does not provide a +4 bonus to strike for the TW Flaming Sword.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

It really is up to the G.M. to decide.

The slaver's net gun uses the Magic Net spell straight, while the lightning spear uses Call Lightning but is not auto-hit like the spell.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Natasha wrote:It really is up to the G.M. to decide.

The slaver's net gun uses the Magic Net spell straight, while the lightning spear uses Call Lightning but is not auto-hit like the spell.

Yup.
Exactly this.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It is generally assumed that TW magic items made out of modern weapons act just like the modern weapons they are made out of. In that they need to be aimed just like rifles and pistols and other heavy weapons do. Because they do not include any text that says that the spell fired auto-hits the target.

While arguments might be made that magic modern weapons that have been enchanted with auto-hit spells. Unless they have text in the weapon description it takes a GM to decide if they do or not.
----
I would say that for a TW magic item enchanted with an auto-hit spell, w/o specific text saying it does auto-hit, would, at very least, need a mage or other type of magic user as the operator for the auto-hit component to be enabled.

More likely that the magic item would need to have been bonded to the mystically sensitive operator for the auto-hit option to operate like a spell cast via invocation.

Defining...
mystically sensitive operator: a mage, magic user, psionic char, or a being with magic like powers that use PPE/ISP.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I would rule that a TW gun is Tech chanelling magic, the weapon provides range and requires a strike roll but on hit use the spell affect. Much like the TW lighting gun in the original book that was listed as being as close they could do to particle guns.(later they added particle guns with sub particle.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Greepnak
Explorer

Unread post by Greepnak »

Depends on how must science versus !!!SCIENCE!!! you wanna go with it... TW is basically a somewhat abusable ruleset that gives you some constraints behind "how much does the gm like me/how stupidly powerful does he want me to be". See the perfectly book legal Annihilate gun for reference to the imperfection of the system.

I try to roll with it like Star Trek Mysticism. I mean TW is supposed to enhance or replicate the effect of technology, so a lightning gun still has to be aimed like a gun. A lightning gun that launches a mystically sticky bolt that has to hit ONCE, then every subsequent bolt of energy mystically tracks to the sticky bolt? Yes, now we're thinking with mana.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Does anyone know if the Revised FoM that came out after RUE still mentions being able to do called shots with magic spells? It was before the new spells but since those got removed due to being in BoM I figured it might be absent.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

has the 6th printing of the revised FoM (I don't know if they counted the original printings of FoM in the count for my FoMr. But I think I got my FoMr as soon as it came out. Soo…*shrugs*) and that was in 04. RUE 1st printing was 05.

I would say that any spell that has a strike roll can be called shotted. And those that are auto hit strike the main body.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”