What are your favorite non-combat vehicles?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Citadel97501
D-Bee

What are your favorite non-combat vehicles?

Unread post by Citadel97501 »

Hello all, I was just wondering what your favorite non-combat vehicles & non-combat robot vehicles are. By this I mean the ones not focused entirely on combat like the Behemoth, the Bulldog, or the Ogre from Northern Gun. I happen to like these a lot and one of my prospective players wants to have a big mobile base for the party.

I should clarify that looks are important :), I was also thinking a good landing platform for any flying power armors would also be helpful.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Re: What are your favorite non-combat vehicles?

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

The Kittani ATV hover skimmers in Atlantis always really did it for me. Just nice svelte air-cars, basically.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

For me I have two, the TW Turbo Wingboard and the Northern Gun Pathmaker.

One is a small personal-transport option that non-mages can use, but may need to pay a mage to top-up every few months.
The other is a larger transport with RV amenities, and can easily function as a mobile workshop or team vehicle, durable, and versatile, without being a giant walker, amphibious to boot.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Citadel97501
D-Bee

13eowulf wrote:For me I have two, the TW Turbo Wingboard and the Northern Gun Pathmaker.

One is a small personal-transport option that non-mages can use, but may need to pay a mage to top-up every few months.
The other is a larger transport with RV amenities, and can easily function as a mobile workshop or team vehicle, durable, and versatile, without being a giant walker, amphibious to boot.

I haven't seen that one in the books, where is that Pathmaker? I also liked the Turbo :)
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Citadel97501 wrote:
13eowulf wrote:For me I have two, the TW Turbo Wingboard and the Northern Gun Pathmaker.

I haven't seen that one in the books, where is that Pathmaker? I also liked the Turbo :)

Originally the Pathmaker was only in the Revised Edition of Sourcebook One, but not the original edition. I think it is now also in Northern Gun 2.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Citadel97501
D-Bee

13eowulf wrote:
Citadel97501 wrote:

Originally the Pathmaker was only in the Revised Edition of Sourcebook One, but not the original edition. I think it is now also in Northern Gun 2.

Thank you, I missed that one and my player likes both the Pathmaker and the Big Papa :)
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Citadel97501 wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Citadel97501 wrote:

Thank you, I missed that one and my player likes both the Pathmaker and the Big Papa :)

Personally I usually have had the cargo bay/sleep area converted in some way. A workshop for a TW, or a mobile sick bay with surgical suite for a long rage expedition team (character was the team doc).
Sure a cargo-bay is great, but to me it is just a large room ready to be converted to a special purpose module.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

As a player, if the GM will let me get one, I have always liked the WR-5050 Super Cargo Hauler from Triax & The NGR.
Cr'Imson
Wanderer
Comment: Cry as you might, if the Ruby Slippers fit, wear them.

Unread post by Cr'Imson »

You may want to take a look at the NE-ATRV3 Pathfinder All-Terrain RV (see Naruni Wave Two). A larger, faster version of the Pathmaker that is also an amphibious hover vehicle. It also has more crew/cargo space, longer energy life and is cheaper. Only drawback is that it does not come standard with any weapon systems.

Cr'Imson
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Cr'Imson wrote:

You may want to take a look at the NE-ATRV3 Pathfinder All-Terrain RV (see Naruni Wave Two). A larger, faster version of the Pathmaker that is also an amphibious hover vehicle. It also has more crew/cargo space, longer energy life and is cheaper. Only drawback is that it does not come standard with any weapon systems.

Cr'Imson

I am familiar, I still choose the pathmaker. Naruni tech is more conspicuous, and harder to get replacement parts for, the Pathmaker being Nothern Gun is much easier to maintain and far less likely to draw the attention, and ire, of various world powers. And bigger isn't always better.
Also the Pathmaker is tougher with more main body MDC. And with the pathmaker you can tow or haul other vehicles, hook up trailers, and many other things you can't do with the Pathfinder.
Not to mention that (in my experience) NG vehicles are far more likely to be allowed as starting gear than Naruni tech.
The Pathmaker is a versitile workhorse, the Pathfinder is what rich people "rough it" in. lol
Oderint Dum Metuant.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

13eowulf wrote:
Cr'Imson wrote:

Cr'Imson

I am familiar, I still choose the pathmaker. Naruni tech is more conspicuous, and harder to get replacement parts for, the Pathmaker being Nothern Gun is much easier to maintain and far less likely to draw the attention, and ire, of various world powers. And bigger isn't always better.
Also the Pathmaker is tougher with more main body MDC. And with the pathmaker you can tow or haul other vehicles, hook up trailers, and many other things you can't do with the Pathfinder.
Not to mention that (in my experience) NG vehicles are far more likely to be allowed as starting gear than Naruni tech.
The Pathmaker is a versitile workhorse, the Pathfinder is what rich people "rough it" in. lol

Not being "kill on sight" for most of North America is a nice perk as well :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I always thought the TW airship was a nice boat.

How much room for booty is there in the hull?

Empty inside. As I thought.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the horse
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Axelmania wrote:I always thought the TW airship was a nice boat.

How much room for booty is there in the hull?

Empty inside. As I thought.

Atlantean Skyboats :ok:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Behemoth.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Cr'Imson wrote:

Cr'Imson

Not being "kill on sight" for most of North America is a nice perk as well :lol:

:lol: yep, that feature factored into deciding on the Pathmaker many times

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:the horse

Considering this is Rifts are you referring to normal SDC horses, robot horses, bionic horses, the Glittermount, or any other biological mounts, like the ones from Russia?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Anything that hovers. :)

Although that's mostly been my faerie bot's vehicle.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Citadel97501 wrote:Hello all, I was just wondering what your favorite non-combat vehicles & non-combat robot vehicles are. By this I mean the ones not focused entirely on combat like the Behemoth, the Bulldog, or the Ogre from Northern Gun. I happen to like these a lot and one of my prospective players wants to have a big mobile base for the party.

I should clarify that looks are important :), I was also thinking a good landing platform for any flying power armors would also be helpful.

I am a huge bulldog fan. Really good party bus. It is tough enough to take a beating and keep people safe but clearly not a primary combatant although not defenseless. It has good water recycling facilities and nice sleeping cubes for a normal size party of people as well as a moderate cargo facility and lab and best of all sanitary facilities.

Behemoth is amazing but generally just way the hell to much vehicle for normal needs and its a gigantic target.

Ogre is another nice party vehicle. Not as much sleeping room as the bull dog but again decent sleeping areas/sanitary facilities. The ogre is also strong as hell so good for helping blaze paths through woods and dragging other vehicles that get mired down.

The okemos explorer is nice for carting a smaller group around if you are on more of a budget. Same type of sleeping areas the bull dog has although less of them and a smaller robot vehicle.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

13eowulf wrote:
Citadel97501 wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Citadel97501 wrote:

Personally I usually have had the cargo bay/sleep area converted in some way. A workshop for a TW, or a mobile sick bay with surgical suite for a long rage expedition team (character was the team doc).
Sure a cargo-bay is great, but to me it is just a large room ready to be converted to a special purpose module.

The pathmaker is a great party vehicle. Lots of space to use as you will pretty roomy passenger areas as well so pretty comfortable vehicle.

Also you can use it to tow one of those really nice trailers NG has so if you need more sleeping area/lab area/repair facilities it can haul those around like a champ.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

13eowulf wrote:

Considering this is Rifts are you referring to normal SDC horses, robot horses, bionic horses, the Glittermount, or any other biological mounts, like the ones from Russia?

Natural sdc ones. :angel: Mostly. :bandit:
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

In addition to those listed above, a personal fave has been the Kittani Insection Land Rover.

A long range exploration vehicle suitable for land, underwater or even space. It's designed to carry several power armor, and can even carry another small vehicle, plus has accomidations for 14 passengers. A nice party bus.

I'm working on a submersible hover-version called 'The Orca' to put up on my DeviantArt page. Should have it done soon.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Natural sdc ones. :angel: Mostly. :bandit:

Only just occurred to me... Could you put Lifeward on horse MDC barding?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I like the Waffen Tek BlitzSchnell as a great go fast sportster and the RRK super armored hover truck as an all around utility vehicle.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Citadel97501
D-Bee

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:In addition to those listed above, a personal fave has been the Kittani Insection Land Rover.

A long range exploration vehicle suitable for land, underwater or even space. It's designed to carry several power armor, and can even carry another small vehicle, plus has accomidations for 14 passengers. A nice party bus.

I'm working on a submersible hover-version called 'The Orca' to put up on my DeviantArt page. Should have it done soon.

I wonder how many different companies use something called the Orca? So far I can think of a power armor, a robot, and an underwater submersible all off the top of my head.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Citadel97501 wrote:
H.P. Hovercraft wrote:In addition to those listed above, a personal fave has been the Kittani Insection Land Rover.

I wonder how many different companies use something called the Orca? So far I can think of a power armor, a robot, and an underwater submersible all off the top of my head.

True. At any rate, the pic is finished and up now.

Return to “Rifts®”