Chi Town, Iron Heart, Lazlo & New Lazlo

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thias
D-Bee

Chi Town, Iron Heart, Lazlo & New Lazlo

Unread post by Thias »

What books are these places more detailly explained in?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Chi Town, Iron Heart, Lazlo & New Lazlo

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nowhere. they've never been detailed
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

There's is SOME info on Chi-town (but mostly the 'Burbs) in Coalition War Campaign, but it isn't a lot. As for the rest? Nothin. No particular details about any of those places, and have never been explicitly detailed.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Not to mention when things ARE covered they are usually covered over the course of several dozen books. Good grief, there's an update to Mars in South America 2 of all things.
Thias
D-Bee

Unread post by Thias »

Oh I thought that they would stat all the mjor places in one of the books. I have Aftermath and then i guess that that is the best
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

For chi town there was the series of burb books that have some decent info about the slums surrounding chi town, The CS war campaign book has some info about the city in general and heroes of humanity has some detail about fortress city defenses including some interesting info about the external rooms with windows and how they are basically firewalled off from the city proper so if somebody managed to teleport into one of those rooms it does not gain them access to the city proper.
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

More specifically, Adventure Sourcebooks 1-4 (I assume that's what you're referring to kaid).

There's fluff about locations mixed in randomly with adventures and other stuff. Palladium Books is not known for it's careful editing and organization.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

kaid wrote:For chi town there was the series of burb books that have some decent info about the slums surrounding chi town, The CS war campaign book has some info about the city in general and heroes of humanity has some detail about fortress city defenses including some interesting info about the external rooms with windows and how they are basically firewalled off from the city proper so if somebody managed to teleport into one of those rooms it does not gain them access to the city proper.

Which contradicts Black Market, which explicitly says that that is one of the ways goods are smuggled into the cities (invisible flyers leaving goods on balconies is a given example).

Honestly, though, I'd just chalk that up to Kevin not even realizing that that example was ever given, since he didn't write Black Market, IIRC.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

boring7 wrote:More specifically, Adventure Sourcebooks 1-4 (I assume that's what you're referring to kaid).

There's fluff about locations mixed in randomly with adventures and other stuff. Palladium Books is not known for it's careful editing and organization.

Yup I believe those are the ones. They mostly give you some feel for what the burbs are like but the burbs are really open to GM fiat because even the old ones are subject to mass purges/bulldozing at a moments notice if the CS deems it necessary.

I sort of understand not wanting to try to make anything to cannon so GM's can feel free to put their own spin on things but I would really love a basic CS fortress city type description. Leave it open ended but it would be nice to get a better feel how they are at least in general configured internally.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
kaid wrote:For chi town there was the series of burb books that have some decent info about the slums surrounding chi town, The CS war campaign book has some info about the city in general and heroes of humanity has some detail about fortress city defenses including some interesting info about the external rooms with windows and how they are basically firewalled off from the city proper so if somebody managed to teleport into one of those rooms it does not gain them access to the city proper.

Which contradicts Black Market, which explicitly says that that is one of the ways goods are smuggled into the cities (invisible flyers leaving goods on balconies is a given example).

Honestly, though, I'd just chalk that up to Kevin not even realizing that that example was ever given, since he didn't write Black Market, IIRC.

Actually it does not. It just means that you really cannot use teleporting invasions to balconies to have any sort of easy ingress into the city. Basically for smuggling you are going in really quiet and having people in the the rooms do the smuggling into the city proper. Given most of the people who have those are likely higher ranked folks easy enough to find some corrupt ones willing to do some smuggling and pass stuff through check points to gain access to the city proper.

It also prevents the teleporting a giant bomb onto the balconies/windows of the fortress city. You will blow the hell out of the facade window/balcony rooms but it is unlikely to breach the actual fortress city walls.

It just means if you tried to do a rift or mass teleport attack via the windows/balconies you still wind up having to go through very well fortified firewalled defenses to have any chance of breaching the city proper.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

kaid wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

Actually it does not. It just means that you really cannot use teleporting invasions to balconies to have any sort of easy ingress into the city. Basically for smuggling you are going in really quiet and having people in the the rooms do the smuggling into the city proper. Given most of the people who have those are likely higher ranked folks easy enough to find some corrupt ones willing to do some smuggling and pass stuff through check points to gain access to the city proper.

It also prevents the teleporting a giant bomb onto the balconies/windows of the fortress city. You will blow the hell out of the facade window/balcony rooms but it is unlikely to breach the actual fortress city walls.

It just means if you tried to do a rift or mass teleport attack via the windows/balconies you still wind up having to go through very well fortified firewalled defenses to have any chance of breaching the city proper.

or you just have to do it in 2 stages (teleport into the room, then mystic portal to get through the firewall). assuming you can't just teleport past the wall in the first place, that is (does it give any reason why someone couldn't just teleport past? i mean, obviously, it would need to be someone who's got some knowledge of what's beyond trying to teleport, but that isn't exactly impossible).
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Shark_Force wrote:
kaid wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:

or you just have to do it in 2 stages (teleport into the room, then mystic portal to get through the firewall). assuming you can't just teleport past the wall in the first place, that is (does it give any reason why someone couldn't just teleport past? i mean, obviously, it would need to be someone who's got some knowledge of what's beyond trying to teleport, but that isn't exactly impossible).

Just that teleport superior is absurdly high level (not in the range of "you can buy this spell with enough money"), and costs a metric truckload of P.P.E.... AND requires you to have been to the place before or have intimate knowledge of it in some other way to no have a decent risk of dying....

Having associates on the inside to come out and pick up the contraband, or using Mystic Portal to get inside is likely QUITE a bit safer and more feasible (as none of the non-detection magic, fly like the eagle, or mystic portal are in the "unpurchasable" range or so PPE heavy as to be non-feasible).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Why do people think that formal organizations like Militaries or Blackmarkets are going to be restricted by the same purchasing limits that PCs have?
I mean seriously.
Do we just assume that since military vehicles are "not for sale" that the military doesn't have them?
Do we assume that since Splugorth equipment is not for sale that the Spulgorth doesn't have it?
Do we... (I can go on here but I wont)
The restrictions on what can be bought and prices are based on player characters buying stuff people.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

eliakon wrote:Why do people think that formal organizations like Militaries or Blackmarkets are going to be restricted by the same purchasing limits that PCs have?
I mean seriously.
Do we just assume that since military vehicles are "not for sale" that the military doesn't have them?
Do we assume that since Splugorth equipment is not for sale that the Spulgorth doesn't have it?
The restrictions on what can be bought and prices are based on player characters buying stuff people.

Except for spells. We are told again, and again, and again, and again, from every book starting with the old RMB that spells above a certain level are obssessively hoarded and not for sale, ever.

Book Of Magic reiterates it, Federation of Magic reiterates it. Anything with a lot of spells re-iterates it.

Hell, even Juicer Uprising mentions it (when describing Kingsdale's magic academies).

FWIW, i agree with you that it SHOULDN'T be that way, but thats what we're told and all we have to go on.

The setting info says that high level spells are just super rare and hoarded and never shared, despite other evidence to the contrary (cheap Ironwood armor manufactured in Arzno, for instance).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
eliakon wrote:Why do people think that formal organizations like Militaries or Blackmarkets are going to be restricted by the same purchasing limits that PCs have?
I mean seriously.

Except for spells. We are told again, and again, and again, and again, from every book starting with the old RMB that spells above a certain level are obssessively hoarded and not for sale, ever.

Book Of Magic reiterates it, Federation of Magic reiterates it. Anything with a lot of spells re-iterates it.

Hell, even Juicer Uprising mentions it (when describing Kingsdale's magic academies).

FWIW, i agree with you that it SHOULDN'T be that way, but thats what we're told and all we have to go on.

The setting info says that high level spells are just super rare and hoarded and never shared, despite other evidence to the contrary (cheap Ironwood armor manufactured in Arzno, for instance).

Again.
no
They are not for sale to the PCs
The argument that they are not for sale AT ALL is the same idiotic argument that the CS doesn't have any gear since they can't buy it. After all, its not for sale.
The rules for the economy are written from the view of what the players can buy.
Full stop.
What the military can get via military spending is outside of that.
Tolkeen is a perfect example.
The Tolkeen military point blank canonically gave out spells of legend.
Which by the logic above was impossible.
Hmmm. I am going to go with "It happened"
Maybe, just maybe the military and such are not idiots are not bound by the same rules that govern what player characters can buy and can get military supplies and such.
I mean I guess your games can have the CS wandering around with nothing heavier than Deadboy armor because they can't requisition anything for their troops. Which will be fine since the Spulgorth wont have anything to fight them with. Nor will Tolkeen.
It will be a wonderful world for Advenurures, no one will be mean and have anything that a PC cant buy.
I don't run my game like that.
In my game the military has military gear and the CS has SAMAS, and Skelbots, and Deathheads, and stuff.

You don't get to pick and choose which "not for sale" you want to use.
Either they ALL apply or NONE of them do. Pick one.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I thought they gave out SCROLLS of spells of legend. That's a bit different. Its difficult to learn spells from a scroll. You could also monitor the people you gave the scroll to to make sure they don't try.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
I mean seriously.

Again.
no
They are not for sale to the PCs
The argument that they are not for sale AT ALL is the same idiotic argument that the CS doesn't have any gear since they can't buy it. After all, its not for sale.
The rules for the economy are written from the view of what the players can buy.
Full stop.
What the military can get via military spending is outside of that.
Tolkeen is a perfect example.
The Tolkeen military point blank canonically gave out spells of legend.
Which by the logic above was impossible.
Hmmm. I am going to go with "It happened"
Maybe, just maybe the military and such are not idiots are not bound by the same rules that govern what player characters can buy and can get military supplies and such.
I mean I guess your games can have the CS wandering around with nothing heavier than Deadboy armor because they can't requisition anything for their troops. Which will be fine since the Spulgorth wont have anything to fight them with. Nor will Tolkeen.
It will be a wonderful world for Advenurures, no one will be mean and have anything that a PC cant buy.
I don't run my game like that.
In my game the military has military gear and the CS has SAMAS, and Skelbots, and Deathheads, and stuff.

You don't get to pick and choose which "not for sale" you want to use.
Either they ALL apply or NONE of them do. Pick one.

Sounds like you're saying that not all statements by the authors are absolutes, and that exceptions may apply.
I agree.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Not for sale to some people?

Or not for sale at a given point in time? 105 NFS might he sellable in 106PA
Thias
D-Bee

Unread post by Thias »

talk about derailing a thread for your endless arguments :P
Axelmania
Knight

What militaries can buy was brought up.

I suppose if we look at a sale in terms of discount periods, NFS could mean no special deals.

Also worth noting that NFS.doesn't mean not for RENT.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Thias wrote:talk about derailing a thread for your endless arguments :P

My apologies I didn't mean to be derailing. I'll shut up about militaries and spells now.
Lazlo supposedly had a book in the works but the manuscript never materialized.

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Locked at OPs request
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Rifts®”