Other uses of character attributes and experience

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Other uses of character attributes and experience

Unread post by Natasha »

On occasion, I wonder how to make use of the character attributes and/or experience points and levels not provided for in the rules.

The way I try to use the most is to have the player roll under the appropriate attribute number on 1D20. This works well; pick the most relevant attribute and roll. It works pretty well for opposed rolls, too, so long as the winner is based on the character's attribute and not the opposed roll unless the attribute numbers are equal (in which case things might just have to cancel and something else has to be done). Although sometimes I do make use of the "beat my roll" technique even when I probably should have the player roll against an attribute.

Anyway, whenever I think about these things sometimes questions pop in my head. Questions like....

Suppose the CS SAMAS programme has a special forces unit. How might we determine whether our SAMAS pilot succeeds in joining it?

Say that any current SAMAS pilot seeking to join the unit must complete a number of qualifying trials in sequential order and do so in 15 days or less. Say that CS number crunchers have determined that the average number of successes is given by

σ = 30 - I.Q. attribute number.

"Time to event" random variables are usually distributed exponentially. The probability function for such variables is

f(x) = m * exp(-mx)

here m = 1/σ = 1/(30 - I.Q.) and the interval is [0, 15] days.

So for pilots with I.Q. attribute number 10 the probability is obtained by integrating

(1/20) * exp(-x/20) dx over [0,15]

which is 1 - (1 / exp(3/4)) = 52.763%. The integrations for several I.Q. attribute numbers are summarised in the following table.

Code: Select all

I.Q.   P, %
----   ----
10     52.764
12     56.54
14     60.839
16     65.748
18     71.35
20     77.687
22     84.665
24     91.792
26     97.648
28     99.945
29     100

I don't think the choice to use I.Q. attribute number gives bad results. But factoring in the other required attribute and the character's experience level (or points) might be fairer. In any case, this killed the time I needed it to... :)
Last edited by Natasha on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
slade the sniper
Hero

Re: Other uses of character attributes and experience

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Your idea is sound, but I would actually use level x 2 instead of IQ (which totally negates using attributes).

Alternately you might want to use (IQ + PP)/2 instead of just IQ since the tests are probably a combination of flying ability AND book knowledge.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: Other uses of character attributes and experience

Unread post by Natasha »

slade the sniper wrote:Your idea is sound, but I would actually use level x 2 instead of IQ (which totally negates using attributes).

Alternately you might want to use (IQ + PP)/2 instead of just IQ since the tests are probably a combination of flying ability AND book knowledge.

-STS

These exact thoughts occurred to me while on the train.

Combining them would give 60-(((IQ + PP)/2) + 2lvl) which simplifies to (120-IQ-PP-4*lvl)/2.

Return to “Rifts®”