CS created 1 PA or 34 PA ?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

CS created 1 PA or 34 PA ?

Unread post by Axelmania »

In another thread it was brought up how FoM's invasion of Chi-Town was prompted by Nostrous being mad over exclusion from CS. Pg 9 of orignal FoM supports this and says CS formation was marked by the creation of the PA calendar. So this makes makes it seem it formed over a decade before the Campaign of Blood. Pg 11 even speaks of 37,340 "Coalition" soldiers dying in the Campaign

I recall Sedition's.timeline saying the CS was formed ~34 PA though, which would be about two decades AFTER the Campaign. Nostrous was dead by then so how could he be mad about the exclusion?
Anyone know if Revised FoM cleaned up this problem or not?

The only way I can make sense of it is maybe the CS was destroyed by the FoM invasion (disbanded?) then got reformed by Joseph later after a generation of healing?
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Re: CS created 1 PA or 34 PA ?

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Didn't read the post (got Axel blocked).

However, i believe the books often erroneously conflate the founding of Chi-Town as a nation-state and the Coalition States as a union of similar states frequently and consistently. That is probably the cause of any confusion.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

CS officially formed 34 PA. this was also when they created the PA calendar.

however, they recorded the CS starting, and the PA calendar starting, as being 34 years earlier when the first steps (in retrospect) towards the formation of the CS occurred.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

Tetsuya is 100% wrong. Glitterboy it describes it being formed twice. You need to read "a promising beginning..." on page 9 of WB16
his resentment for being excluded from the formation of the Coalition States
an event marked by the creation of the post-apocalyptic calendar
The CS instituted the PA calendar and declared that with the creation of the unified States,
it was a new age for humanity.

This is all described as happening prior to 5 PA.

The creation of the CS is given as the stated reason why Nostrous Dunscon was so angry with them, and why he attacked in 12 PA.

So the CS must have been created twice. First in 1 PA then 33 years later in 34 PA.

If it only started in 34 then how could a war be launched in 12 spurred by Nostrous' anger over being excluded from it?

The meeting Nostrous stormed out of where he was issued at least 100 requests happened a week after the formation. This meeting preceded him having continental invasion plans in 5 PA.
Greepnak
Explorer

Unread post by Greepnak »

I wonder a bit at the zeitgeist of it all sometimes. If there's one thing I have to say 3 galaxies did well, it is by making the Transgalactic Empire straight up controlled by a hidden malevolent lovecraftian entity and their only "good" element is their willingness to include the Machine People that the CCW excludes.

Just works well from a smash and grab sort of perspective where the people playing GI Joe want to be able to identify COBRA by sight I guess.
Axelmania
Knight

CCW doesnt exclude Machine People. They voted to accept them. They just took too long to decide son the Machine People surrendered. TGE remind me of orcs in the Warcraft series. They could be a lot better if not for the witches ruling them.

I found another hole to poke in the "no CS until 33" theory which Sedition's timeline proposes.

Coalition Overkill pg 7
Until now, this formula has worked for the Coalition — defeat an enemy, consolidate your forces, replenish, and build further,
find another enemy, and repeat the cycle.
Since 12 P.A., when the Coalition defeated the Federation of Magic, this has been the pattern of the society

Overkill pg 24
The Vanguard. A group of combat mages who secretly support the Coalition! They are the bastard offspring of the Coalition States, cast away when the Coalition itself was fairly young. When the CS fought the Federation of Magic in 12
P.A., the Coalition still experimented with the practice of magic and included mages in the military.

Overkill agrees in multiple spots with FoM here, the Coalition existed in 12 PA and defeated the FoM. Not just Chi-Town!

Sedition's 33/34 timeline must've just been a re-organization... a 2nd wedding like homer+marge did to renew their vows.

Return to “Rifts®”